• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ntdwq5wcixhofgnk2gpv.jpg

ArenaNet, the studio behind the popular online games Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, informed employees today that it is planning big layoffs, according to a person who is there. Although ArenaNet did not give out exact numbers, and they may not yet be finalized, rumors floating around the studio signal that a significant number of people will be let go.

Songyee Yoon, the CEO of Korean publisher NCSoft, which owns ArenaNet, e-mailed employees this afternoon with the news. "Our live game business revenue is declining as our franchises age, delays in development on PC and mobile have created further drains against our revenue projects, while our operating costs in the west have increased," she wrote. "Where we are is not sustainable, and is not going to set us up for future success."

Yoon added that the company plans to "cut costs across the organization" and restructure across the board, merging ArenaNet and NCSoft's publishing divisions in the process.

More here...

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yoon added that the company plans to "cut costs across the organization" and restructure across the board, merging ArenaNet and NCSoft's publishing divisions in the process.

The separation between Arenanet and other NCSoft subsidiaries in this respect was always a bit weird to me.

I still play Guild Wars 2 weekly, so this is a big bummer.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still disappointed with GW2. Should have just carbon copied GW1 and brought it into a modern game engine. Talk of GW2 success always seemed like hardcore fanboys and not enough to float the franchise, because you never see much buzz for the game.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not great news to hear about right now.

Isn't Guild Wars 2 a little long in the tooth? You'd think they'd be ramping up for development of a Guild Wars 3 or something by now, not cutting people.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still disappointed with GW2. Should have just carbon copied GW1 and brought it into a modern game engine. Talk of GW2 success always seemed like hardcore fanboys and not enough to float the franchise, because you never see much buzz for the game.

I mean this is just wrong. It's still one of the most played of the big MMOs.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Surprised they were still working at the strength and frequency they're currently at, to be honest. Guild Wars 2 seemed to be one of those games that could have been doing "good enough" or was stealthily doing amazing like Warframe.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

The expansions never seemed to generate much attention, either, but that's hard to really judge. I don't know how big the current userbase is, but for me they just failed to capture a lot of what I enjoyed about the first Guild Wars.

Maybe GW2 has been doing really well, but I never hear about it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is a shame, I've been waiting to see what ANet is gonna do for their next expansion :/

Yeah this is wrong, it's one of the higher populated MMO's currently, ANet just isn't good at marketing.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
cdc.jpg

Hope it's not true. Getting a little sick of all these people losing their jobs. :(

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I mean this is just wrong. It's still one of the most played of the big MMOs.
It's probably the smallest of the big 4 at the moment, and MMOs on the whole are getting their lunch eaten by GaaS games/soft-MMOs likes Destiny and the Division

EDIT: found some revenue numbers
gw2_chart.jpg

(It's in millions of Korean won)

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Not great news to hear about right now.

Isn't Guild Wars 2 a little long in the tooth? You'd think they'd be ramping up for development of a Guild Wars 3 or something by now, not cutting people.

Nah. GW3 isn't being developed. NCSoft has been focusing pretty exclusively on eastern MMO's for years.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
right after they announced the wvw mount that every longtime wvw player asked for

o wait

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, I enjoyed my time with GW2 when it released. Was nice to just buy in and not pay a sub. Sad to hear this is happening.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof if true. GaaS games basically slowly killing off the MMO genre, which is basically the worst thing for me.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, not ArenaNet...

Hopefully they can proceed with Guild Wars 3, this game has became stale indeed.
That's sort of where I'm at with the franchise now too. I love GW1 and 2, and played each for a ridiculous number of hours... But I stopped playing almost immediately after finishing Path of Fire(which is the same thing I did with Heart of Thorns), and have struggled to get back into it. I don't see it happening though, even if they weren't doing layoffs. New MMOs are just not happening(baring a few niche exceptions).

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
They are riding the Gw2 ship into the ground as I feared...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The direction they went with the expansions put me off the game to be honest but it always seemed to be pretty popular.

Oct 25, 2017
I played a ton of gw1 and about 15 hours of gw2.

I honestly hope they go back to the holy Trinity honestly.

I love love love being a monk. Too bad that was taken away.

Oct 28, 2017
The responses to me saying that I'm somehow wrong but the company are reporting trouble with revenue is just comical. They must have really high operating costs to outweigh the potential revenues of whales spending on cosmetics.

Look, I wanted to love GW2. I pre-ordered it and played pretty hardcore up until The Lost Shores update, but the game just didn't have the same catch as GW1. The content updates came too slow and never really addressed the main problems they had with removing the trinity from an MMO. The story was really lacklustre and their focus on Sylvari was grating. The end-game content was really bad because there was no balance to it, no real semblance of teamwork because trying to fulfill a role was impossible with the attempt to saddle everyone with every role.

I can see why the game is giving ArenaNet trouble. Its just a shame because they had magic with GW1.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The responses to me saying that I'm somehow wrong but the company are reporting trouble with revenue is just comical. They must have really high operating costs to outweigh the potential revenues of whales spending on cosmetics.

Look, I wanted to love GW2. I pre-ordered it and played pretty hardcore up until The Lost Shores update, but the game just didn't have the same catch as GW1. The content updates came too slow and never really addressed the main problems they had with removing the trinity from an MMO. The story was really lacklustre and their focus on Sylvari was grating. The end-game content was really bad because there was no balance to it, no real semblance of teamwork because trying to fulfill a role was impossible with the attempt to saddle everyone with every role.

I can see why the game is giving ArenaNet trouble. Its just a shame because they had magic with GW1.

I mean the problem with your post is that you're using your knowledge of the game as it was back in 2012...

Like Season 1 of Living Story and Season 2 of the Living Story were massive change in quality. Updates began coming every 3 months of so (pretty standard for an MMO) unless an Expansion as on the horizon. In which case there would be slower in updates.

GW2 has honestly been incredibly generous in terms of free updates for a non-sub game. I can't recall how many games release new zones every single big content update. Most save that for expansions.

Plus also there has been raids in the end game which have been well received as well.

Edit: One other thing is that the playerbase doesn't need to spend much money at all. Since there's no sub fee, players can play for years without dropping a dime unless an expansion comes out. And since players can easily get all cosmetics in the game through gold there isn't that much reason to actually spend money.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I had been able to get into GW2, I have such fond memories of the first. Something about the sequel just didn't click with me, sadly.

Good luck to those affected. I hope everyone is able to find new opportunities.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, sad to hear, but it might just be me, but it seems like classic MMOs are kinda dying over the last couple of years. They might still work in Asia, same goes for mobile games in Asia and India, etc. but not in the west. I loved DAoC, WoW and even SWTOR back in the day, also enjoyed City of Heroes, Guild Wars (1 mostly) and some others, but maybe it's due to age and time limits, but I'm not at all interested in any new MMO anymore. I even played SWTOR only for new story chapters and that's it.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they are working on GW3, or they are just going to ride GW2 until no one buys the expansions anymore?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Whoa, I just bought the two GW2 expansions a few weeks ago. This is sad to hear.

Oct 25, 2017

A message for our friends at ArenaNet
FEB 21 2019

To our friends, former co-workers, and industry colleagues at ArenaNet:
We are profoundly saddened to hear the news of the layoffs today. We feel a special kinship with ArenaNet given our shared DNA and our shared history of working together. We can only imagine what you are going through and would like to extend our heartfelt support. Indeed, news like this takes its toll on the entire industry, and taken together with the recent layoffs at Activision/Blizzard and the closure of the former Z2 studio in Seattle, we are distressed by the destruction of trust and safety that creative enterprises require to thrive.
As such, we would like to do everything we can to help people find their next great opportunity. We invite all ArenaNet staff to join us for an open house at Undead Labs on Wednesday evening, February 27th, from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. We'll do our best to coordinate with the entire Xbox Game Studios family to ensure we have broad representation of opportunity within all of our studios. We'll be ready to share more about our open positions, our product plans, and our development culture with you. Dinner and parking on us. Please RSVP at: [email protected]

https://undeadlabs.com/2019/02/jobs/a-message-for-our-friends-at-arenanet/