• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At what point in the original Gears of War did you have numbered waves of hordes coming at you while you spent funds on barriers and weapons to defend yourself?

I'll give you a hint. That never happened.

thats not what i said.

i said how "holding out until x things happens" doesnt make sense?

when half gears of war 1 is waiting for jack to rip a fucking door.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
To equate that to 'well they added a boat in a semi-open world' is doing a huge disservice to the game.
That's not at all what I'm implying, and I think you might have taken my post on face value. Based off what Rod has said so far, allowing for more player choice and wider open areas is akin to at least one element that God of War switched up with its formula.

Designing a pseudo open world to push actual exploration and discovery in the series was certainly a significant factor in God of War feeling different. It obviously wasn't the only factor. God of War 2018 would have felt very different if it was completely linear like games prior. Cory and crew said as much, and anyone can rationally understand that.

If you disagree then, well, that's that I guess.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damnit health bars above the enemies? Seriously? Why does every game have this now. Nothing takes me out of a shooter quicker than when a health bar pops up above an enemies head. Far cry new dawn had them to and it helped to make the combat fee totally weightless, just like the divisions.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God damnit health bars above the enemies? Seriously? Why does every game have this now. Nothing takes me out of a shooter quicker than when a health bar pops up above an enemies head. Far cry new dawn had them to and it helped to make the combat fee totally weightless, just like the divisions.

just turn them off

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I feel like Rod says this every week.

But why keep the campaign so hidden until the last minute :(

Show, don't tell. Which is my message to the Xbox team in general tbh.

Oct 30, 2017
I have 4 and played a good bit of Horde Mode but the main character just does not look or sound interesting. Gears is one of the few series where I really enjoyed the characters (Never cared about the plot, kind of like askewverse Kevin Smith movies). I only hear people talk about meeting the old characters in this game. Do any of you have any fond memories about the new characters from Gears 4? I just remember how flat the new characters that they added for Gears 3 turned out to be, as much as I wanted to love sam.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I want to believe, the 2018 trailer was hype as all fuck, especially when they showed what looked like larger areas, but then 2019 E3 happened...

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Damn, didn't think people felt this way about Gears lol.

I'm looking forward to experiencing Gears in a more open fashion with single player. Was E3 2019 disappointing? Sure. I'm over it, honestly. I trust TC to deliver a polished experience from start to finish.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Ya if you don't like the CQC of the gnasher in Gears then don't beg for somthing different because we all know you're only going to play the SP and never touch the MP. Changing the game to satisfy people who only play this game for 10 hours is bad news.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
thats not what i said.

i said how "holding out until x things happens" doesnt make sense?

when half gears of war 1 is waiting for jack to rip a fucking door.

Waiting for Jack to rip a door makes more sense than earning currency while you fight off a horde and a timer that tells you when they're coming. You obviously love those parts, but I don't and that's okay. We can have a different opinion!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Waiting for Jack to rip a door makes more sense than earning currency while you fight off a horde and a timer that tells you when they're coming. You obviously love those parts, but I don't and that's okay. We can have a different opinion!

you dont even earn currency on those parts.

the builder has a set energy pool for every wave.

i still dont understand how "it doesnt make sense"

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm really curious to see if Gears 5 can reinvent the franchise the way God of War 2018 successfully reinvented God of War. I had fun with Gears 4, but it was still pretty much the same old Gears which led to some Gears fatigue for me.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Great. Looking forward to it.
That's not at all what I'm implying, and I think you might have taken my post on face value. Based off what Rod has said so far, allowing for more player choice and wider open areas is akin to at least one element that God of War switched up with its formula.

Designing a pseudo open world to push actual exploration and discovery in the series was certainly a significant factor in God of War feeling different. It obviously wasn't the only factor. God of War 2018 would have felt very different if it was completely linear like games prior. Cory and crew said as much, and anyone can rationally understand that.

If you disagree then, well, that's that I guess.
I really can't wait to see how they tackle the controls for the new vehicle (The Skiff). I hope it's very intuitive.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
What's risky about it, looks the same.

No horde in campaign is good news. That shit ruined Gears 4 for me, made no sense

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe in the story department, but from gameplay's perspective? I don't see it

They need to do something akin to God of War to keep it relevant
I completely disagree. The only improvements that need to be made are in encounter design.

Gears has the best third person gameplay loop other than MGSV. They absolutely had 'play it safe' gameplay-wise since that's what most of us serious Gears vets wanted after the shitshow that was Judgement.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really hope they have the modern control scheme from Judgement in the game, was so much better. Doesn't have to be default but at least give us the option to have the game use the same controls as every other third person cover shooter

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It was true. Now, in the world of Max Payne 3, MGSV, Uncharted 4... that's not true at all. It's time to change the formula
I disagree with Max Payne 3 and I also played that game with a mouse. Honestly, Max Payne 3 isn't better than the Gears games that came out in the same generation (Gears 2 and 3 both say hi).

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
It was true. Now, in the world of Max Payne 3, MGSV, Uncharted 4... that's not true at all. It's time to change the formula
I can't speak to MGSV or Mac Payne. Never finished em. However UC4, the worst part for me is when they throw a bunch of guys at you and you run from cover to cover. I really enjoyed the game but whenever I'm shooting for awhile that's the worst aspect of it.