• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I really hope this is true because despite liking Gears 4 my feeling while playing it was that I was playing Gears 1 Ultimate but with even prettier graphics. And I only played those two Gears, so it's worrisome that the fifth game of a franchise was almost identical to the first one. I get that the core gameplay and game design don't need to change but they need to evolve. The best comparison I can have is with Uncharted, which you can see the evolution clearly when comparing the first game even with U2.
There are a slew of differences between the two. In summation, Gears UE is a much heavier lumbering game. But thats what i like about it. All the games are the gears formula, but they are also all a little different in various ways.

Nothing I've seen from it so far indicates that it could top games like Resident Evil 2 for that title.

Resident Evil 2 is a recapitulation on on Revelations 2, which was a version of 6, which was an interation of five, which expaned on Resident Evil four. Yet it's GOTY, and doing the same old gameplay loop. In fact its a step back from six in terms of flair.

This same old same old is a drum beat loop people like to play when talking about this game series. It's a well worn avenue to neg the game, and the xbox brand. One that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. The same drumlines will crop up everytime, any Gears related thread.

Last edited:

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
nah,

the problem was that the enemies were indisinguishible one from another,

on the old gears, you could tell a drone from a granadier from a theron guard from a sniper from a boomer and stuff like that

here, all the fucking drones look the same even if their class is different.

they haven't even started showing it.
The game has been at (2) E3's, both having pretty lengthy trailers/segments for the game. The fact that the game is out in a few months and people are still not sure if it is semi-open world is crazy to me. Instead of celebrating the risks they are taking, or blowing people away with gameplay, they keep showing uninteresting/uninspired trailers that look like more of the same all the while saying "trust us, we're taking so many risks". We're like three months from release, I think they're doing a terrible job building the hype for it. Terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
This would be a game that would greatly benefit from some sort of contextual melee system like in the past few Naughty Dog games (TLoU, Uncharted 4, Uncharted Legacy: TTL). The problem is that the game has to feel tight at all times so I don't know how that would all come to together. Movement in the newer UC games at least felt good though.
I really like the vault from cover stunning enemies and giving you a finisher from 4, just wish it had a much wider hitbox so that it would be more reliable to use whenever I want, as it was in 4 it was kind of an unnecessary risk.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Only game at the time that played something like Gears was Mass Effect 1 and it was CRAP.
Tell me about a game that influenced Gears combat and we'll see how similar they are.
Uh, Resident Evil 4? You know, the game CliffyB cited as their biggest influence? Not to mention Killswitch, the game that created the cover shooting mechanic.

It's blowing my mind that you're tripling down on this bullshit. God of War was certainly influenced by DMC but it's its own game with its own formula and its combat system has far more in common with Rygar (of all games) than Devil May Cry.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's incredibly stupid they're still talking this kind of tease shit when the game is out in September. We should know all about it by now. I don't get why they're holding the cards so close. E3 was the perfect time to show what they have going for the campaign.

Do you know everything about Death Stranding ? The Blair Witch game? Control ?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
And one of these franchises was stuck in the Early 2000s with its combat system, so my point still stands.
Gears doesnt need a radical change as badly as God of war did.
I will take the opinion from the majority of the thread's posts that are very vocal about change, instead of the one guy with the Gears profile pic

I'm also a Gears fan man, and I enjoy the formula, but change is for the best of the franchise

Sales are decreasing, and It's not a coincidence

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Uh, Resident Evil 4? You know, the game CliffyB cited as their biggest influence? Not to mention Killswitch, the game that created the cover shooting mechanic.

It's blowing my mind that you're tripling down on this bullshit. God of War was certainly influenced by DMC but it's its own game with its own formula and its combat system has far more in common with Rygar (of all games) than Devil May Cry.
Lets compare RE4 to Gears then.
Seriously, RE4 evolution is Dead Space, not Gears.
You don't play Gears like RE4, unless you are one of those "i dont know how to play Gears and i just shoot like headless chicken" people.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will take the opinion from the majority of the thread's posts that are very vocal about change, instead of the one guy with the Gears profile pic

I'm also a Gears fan man, and I enjoy the formula, but change is for the best of the franchise

yeah, not being in the most popular console this gen has nothing to do with decreased sales!

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
We got a 8+ minute trailer of gameplay on Death Stranding a few weeks ago. The Blair Witch game isn't a tent-pole franchise for Xbox. Control has had SEVERAL gameplay trailers, Let's Plays, and hands-on demos with several publications posting their impressions. Several people, like Ryan w/ IGN, are praising Control.

What we have for Gears 5 is hands-on with the new escape mode which people came away saying "Yeah, it's fine. It's Gears. It's good. Didn't look great...." E3 should have been a blowout for the game where people we're talking about it afterwards and preordering it. Instead people were talking about the silly camera going under the state to...show...a.....fucking trailer....like what the hell were they thinking.

And I am excited for it. I will play Day One. But holy shit, is the rollout bad.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

this, we should have everything by now shit is tiring.

they already explained their plans about what they will show in what order.

there will be plenty of coverage on gears from here to its release.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Lets compare RE4 to Gears then.
Seriously, RE4 evolution is Dead Space, not Gears.
You don't play Gears like RE4, unless you are one of those "i dont know how to play Gears and i just shoot like headless chicken" people.
Really? You mean to tell me they're different games?! You know, like God of War and Devil May Cry?!

Just stop, this argument is fucking stupid. God of War is a 2005 game, Gears of War is a 2007 game. End of discussion.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the sound of these changes, but show don't tell. I'd like to see some of the campaign gameplay already. The game is roughly 2 and a bit months from release, and we've seen but maybe 20-30 seconds of gameplay from the campaign. It's crazy we haven't seen more given how close the release is.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

Majority in this thread don't even rank to Gold 1 in multiplayer modes and have barely touched Horde.
Change Is for the best of the franchise you say, tell that to Halo
Btw this profile pic related to Gears is new, just because i was pumped for that Campaign video, i'm not that big of a Gears fan, i show otherwise.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Really? You mean to tell me they're different games?! You know, like God of War and Devil May Cry?!

Just stop, this argument is fucking stupid. God of War is a 2005 game, Gears of War is a 2007 game. End of discussion.
One of them was released on the PS2, and the other one on the X360, as a flagship title, praised as an innovative and truly next Gen experience.
End of the line.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Dont think it will be native. Maybe dynamic or checkerboarding. Doesnt matter to me tho. 60fps across all modes is great.
There was btw a framerate test online for Escape mode and was pretty solid 60fps. With some drops to low 50"s at some explosions.

CB 4k is fine with me as well. Rather have rock solid fps.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
We got a 8+ minute trailer of gameplay on Death Stranding a few weeks ago. The Blair Witch game isn't a tent-pole franchise for Xbox. Control has had SEVERAL gameplay trailers, Let's Plays, and hands-on demos with several publications posting their impressions. Several people, like Ryan w/ IGN, are praising Control.

What we have for Gears 5 is hands-on with the new escape mode which people came away saying "Yeah, it's fine. It's Gears. It's good. Didn't look great...." E3 should have been a blowout for the game where people we're talking about it afterwards and preordering it. Instead people were talking about the silly camera going under the state to...show...a.....fucking trailer....like what the hell were they thinking.

And I am excited for it. I will play Day One. But holy shit, is the rollout bad.

You used the word 'everything'.
We've basically seen as much gameplay for Death Stranding as we've seen for Gears 5 campaign

I dont disagree that they really should hVe shown more of the new stuff... But no, there's no expectation that we have to have a blowout by this stage.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Watch it still be a safe-ass sequel just with a pumped up CG budget. Series needed a reboot since Gears 3 at least.

If the fans have their way and it's more of the same formula, it's inevitable that we'll see the franchise decline even further. I remember way more hype pre-release for Gears 4 than for 5 currently. What they've shown so far isn't working.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watch it still be a safe-ass sequel just with a pumped up CG budget. Series needed a reboot since Gears 3 at least.

If the fans have their way and it's more of the same formula, it's inevitable that we'll see the franchise decline even further. I remember way more hype pre-release for Gears 4 than for 5 currently. What they've shown so far isn't working.

CG?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played like two hours of Gears 4 and it was just plain boring. Nothing about it was particularly fun or remarkable except the insane download size. Maybe the new generation of Gears where you're fighting robots just doesn't appeal to me.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I played like two hours of Gears 4 and it was just plain boring. Nothing about it was particularly fun or remarkable except the insane download size. Maybe the new generation of Gears where you're fighting robots just doesn't appeal to me.

Thats only act 1 tho. After the levels and enemies become great. Loved the whole night vibe the game had and the Swarm is your main enemy.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, what if you liked to repeatedly press B to "rev" up the chainsaw before holding B and actually using it?

I hope they're trying some truly ambitious things, but my cynical side thinks 90% of why he's calling it "riskier" is because it has a female lead.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe in the story department, but from gameplay's perspective? I don't see it

They need to do something akin to God of War to keep it relevant
That sounds exactly like what they're doing:

And while we've seen barely anything of the campaign in the year since Gears 5 was announced, Fergusson says it's different. "We're really trying to find new ways to play with the formula, and not just being a hallway shooter," he said, pointing to a moment involving a skiff from the game's 2018 debut trailer that he said involves more player choice.
Sounds like God of War's boat to me.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Riskier than the last?? Didn't they say they played it safe with 4 to show fans they can do a gears game?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
He is talking about the more freedom and semi open world offcourse.

Yeah, that's still not remotely what made the recent God of War as good as it is. It's a reboot from the ground up with a completely new formula.

Rise of the Tomb Raider also had a semi open world. It definitely didn't make that game any more interesing than the first 'new' TR.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I'm sure the multiplayer will be a lot of fun, but I'm way off the cover shooter wagon as it comes to single player. It's far too shallow and becomes mind numbing, even with a franchise that tends to have more meaningful distinctions between weapons and enemies like gears of war.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Honestly, I think Gears' biggest problem is its aesthetic and setting. Despite adding a wider variety of characters and more color, it seems gamers at large have moved on and are no longer interested in Gears' world.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, that's still not remotely what made the recent God of War as good as it is. It's a reboot from the ground up with a completely new formula.

Rise of the Tomb Raider also had a semi open world. It definitely didn't make that game any more interesing than the first 'new' TR.

...how exactly is it a completely new formula? Please enlighten me. I beg to be enlightened.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I hope they take inspiration from the amount of enemy variation seen in both Gears 2 and 3. Those games were filled to the brim with awesome enemies.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just looking for that multiplayer. Gears MP is a beautiful thing and I'd like to see where they are going with it.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

I mean he compared one aspect of Gears to GoW, he didn't say Gears is reinventing itself like GoW.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I don't believe them one bit. I guarantee its going to be the same bad pacing from Gears 4, arena, robots, arena, robots, arena robots etc. They don't even give the characters time to breath. Also a slight knock to the gameplay but after playing The Division 2 for a good amount of hours its startling how much better it feels to play than Gears. Cover to cover, vaulting, sprinting, hit detection etc all feels better in TD2. Games have come a long way since Gears was released and its time for them to adapt.

Nov 11, 2017

You don't completely have to reinvent a games wheel to make the series fresh see Zelda/Mario. Taking risk the right risk in games is what make greats games good

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
...how exactly is it a completely new formula? Please enlighten me. I beg to be enlightened.

They switched mythologies, for one. They remade the combat from scratch. A whole host of new gameplay mechanics. They reinvented Kratos as a character entirely. Wrote a story that was unheard of before in a GoW game. Created environments more diverse than any of the previous titles.

They weren't afraid to let everything go that fans loved from the original games and just made an entirely new game. It could almost have been a new IP if it didn't have Kratos as the lead.

To equate that to 'well they added a boat in a semi-open world' is doing a huge disservice to the game.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
how the fuck they dont make sense?

it is just a "hold this point until X thing happens"

all 5 games have had this kind of parts

At what point in the original Gears of War did you have numbered waves of hordes coming at you while you spent funds on barriers and weapons to defend yourself?

I'll give you a hint. That never happened.