• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not even sure if Best Buy should still be open. Target and Walmart are groceries, and even there they should block off the rest of the stores.

I understand the argument for why Best Buy should be open. They sell equipment that helps people work from home, they sell computers and tablets that kids can use for doing school at home, and they sell cell phones which can be important communication devices right now. I also feel based on the steps they're taking, they're being responsible about it. They're cutting hours, they're going to limit how many people can go in the store, and they're making working optional to employees and employees will be compensated either way.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
for all the lows GameStop has hit, using their workers as a shield against mandatory public health measures was not something I imagined them ever doing

unbelievable

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If GameStop HAS to be open, why not just make it online pick up only?

I understand the argument for why Best Buy should be open. They sell equipment that helps people work from home, they sell computers and tablets that kids can use for doing school at home, and they sell cell phones which can be important communication devices right now. I also feel based on the steps they're taking, they're being responsible about it. They're cutting hours, they're going to limit how many people can go in the store, and they're making working optional to employees and employees will be compensated either way.

I did get their updated email this morning and thought 'wow they're really taking this seriously.' I still think they shouldn't be letting people into the stores unless they're there specifically for appliances or computer/phone help.

I work someplace that's still open and not essential. A guy called last night and asked if we had something he wanted, I looked and told him we didn't have it and he said "Eh, I'll still come by and shop around, I've got nothing better to do, I'm stuck at home." We're in the middle of a pandemic. No one should be out and about unless they have to be. I understand what some of these stores bring to the table but they need to make it clear that the only people allowed in are the people that have to be there.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GameStop is clearly the walking dead at this point. If they are forced to close they will never reopen.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The jokes on all of you when you run out of toilet paper and need to trade in your games to get some more.

Their reduced opening hours going to only March 29 seems rather...optimistic given how everyone else expects this to last several more weeks minimum. Maybe they are hoping everyone just forgets this happened in a week.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The jokes on all of you when you run out of toilet paper and need to trade in your games to get some more.

Their reduced opening hours going to only March 29 seems rather...optimistic given how everyone else expects this to last several more weeks minimum. Maybe they are hoping everyone just forgets this happened in a week.

Most places are only committing to late March/Mid-April. I think they want it to be open ended so they can extend it or reopen sooner based on how things are going.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
PracticalGrippingCanine-size_restricted.gif

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
lol you really love coming into gamestop threads and posting about reggie.

We get it, he doesn't start till April. Maybe you'll understand that someday.

I don't understand what you're really trying to do in these threads going after him. I'm just beginning to think it's a meme that I'm not understanding or something.

Last edited:

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
lol you really love coming into gamestop threads and posting about reggie.

We get it, he doesn't start till April. Maybe you'll understand that someday.

I don't understand what you're really trying to do in these threads going after him. I'm just beginning to think it's a meme that I'm not understanding or something.
Real talk time. When you champion for a company publicly after announcing being a board member, you are currently working for that company.

Reggie doesn't need Gamestop, Gamestop needs Reggie. He's there because he was so loved and him just being there is considered good PR.
He hasn't said anything since this scandal started. The criticism being thrown his way comes with the territory of signing up with a company already known before this to have some very shitty practices. So why defend him? Because there used to be lovable memes about him? This is what he signed up for.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kept asking my boss what essential means and he said "communication" devices but like why can't we just do BOPS/HOPS/SFS only? Doors locked unless you can prove you made an order online. Instructions on the door how to make online orders. If the item you want can't be held or ordered, you show it and they let you in.

There are ways to stay open without letting dozens and dozens people wander through the store. Ten in, lock the door and only allow them to request items and not wander the store, walk them all out after they finish and let ten more in.

Or maybe...just maybe...those rich execs can take a pay cut and close the stores and pay their employees. Just a thought.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk time. When you champion for a company publicly after announcing being a board member, you are currently working for that company.

Reggie doesn't need Gamestop, Gamestop needs Reggie. He's there because he was so loved and him just being there is considered good PR.
He hasn't said anything since this scandal started. The criticism being thrown his way comes with the territory of signing up with a company already known before this to have some very shitty practices. So why defend him? Because there used to be lovable memes about him? This is what he signed up for.

Because right now he's got literally nothing to do with any of this. He's a pointless distraction when there are far more important things to do. People are wasting space on this, either assigning blame or responding to it. Reggie can't set Gamestop policy. Reggie hasn't said a word for/against this current issue. Reggie is an irrelevancy.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Because right now he's got literally nothing to do with any of this. He's a pointless distraction when there are far more important things to do. People are wasting space on this, either assigning blame or responding to it. Reggie can't set Gamestop policy. Reggie hasn't said a word for/against this current issue. Reggie is an irrelevancy.
If there are more important things to do then why are you defending him on a gaming forum? Don't you have more important things to do?

I like Reggie, always have. But he has associated himself with a company now that has had a mountain of criticism for years. Just the association will make him a target of criticism. It goes with the territory.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
If there are more important things to do then why are you defending him on a gaming forum? Don't you have more important things to do?

I like Reggie, always have. But he has associated himself with a company now that has had a mountain of criticism for years. Just the association will make him a target of criticism. It goes with the territory.

Because this was more polite than "Shut up, stop wasting people's time." I honestly don't get why that isn't obvious.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. If they have to shut down, they wont open again and they know it.

Exactly.

GameStop stores currently won't be able to stay afloat on their own, especially if the new consoles get delayed. Their new approach with specific stores that offer table top tournaments, retro games where you can play before you buy, hang out spaces... are pretty much dead now. You just can't offer that sort of environment now with everything going on for the foreseeable future. They're dead in the water.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
So, yeah, uh, Game Stop ain't too happy about this conference call stuff being out there:

While I do believe that the horrid practices should be made Public, the Youtuber could have made steps to at least censor People's names and their respective store numbers. There's crazy People out there that could potentially threaten stores if they can't get access to their physical pre-orders (especially when paid in full). They are definitely out there.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I truly believe this is a "if/when they close, they aren't opening up again" situation, and that's why they are making this insane effort. Its barely hanging on as is, and any business interruption at this point will be curtains for the whole business. There won't be a re-open if they are shuttered for any length of time. Honestly, if anyone is holding onto a pre-order for anything, I'd strongly consider getting refunds now (or use those funds to instead purchase Eshop cards or something if you still want to support them).

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I truly believe this is a "if/when they close, they aren't opening up again" situation, and that's why they are making this insane effort. Its barely hanging on as is, and any business interruption at this point will be curtains for the whole business. There won't be a re-open if they are shuttered for any length of time. Honestly, if anyone is holding onto a pre-order for anything, I'd strongly consider getting refunds now (or use those funds to instead purchase Eshop cards or something if you still want to support them).

Absolutely. If you have any gift cards or preorders with them, go cash it all out today of possible. They're very possibly going to be donezo if they close.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
If they have to force stores to stay open then they are on life support. Closing is basically pulling the plug for the entire company. If you have money, credit or whatever in their stores I would pull it out or use it now.

Dec 1, 2017
User warned: Concern trolling

Do you really believe this? You think he's just waiting for his official start date before being privy to anything the company is doing? You're being naive if you think that.

He absolutely shares responsibility for this from the moment he was announced as joining.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Desperate times. But that is just ridiculous. My job is actually having me come in today to take home the desktop computer from my desk because they couldn't get us enough laptops on time

Oct 28, 2017
Their excuse is likely because they sell some candy and clothing or because people sell games.

Actually, buying used stuff to sounds like an effective way to spread the virus. Who the hell wants to handle these people's dirty used games and consoles that could be covered in the virus?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do you really believe this? You think he's just waiting for his official start date before being privy to anything the company is doing? You're being naive if you think that.

He absolutely shares responsibility for this from the moment he was announced as joining.

You know who else shares responsibility? The people actually making the day to day decisions.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Their excuse is likely because they sell some candy and clothing or because people sell games.

Actually, buying used stuff to sounds like an effective way to spread the virus. Who the hell wants to handle these people's dirty used games and consoles that could be covered in the virus?

Some sell webcams, keyboards, mice, etc. which is why they're playing the WFH essentials card.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Very essential. I know on disaster tv shows and movies when people go looking for supplies someone says "we need food, water, medicine, and a used copy of Final Fantasy XV."

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
At least gamers are known for their exceptional hygiene, so there's that.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't even essential to gaming during regular times. We've been expecting them to close up for years. The fuck are they on.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GameStop is clearly the walking dead at this point. If they are forced to close they will never reopen.
this is why they are going this. they are already on thin ice as it is and this is gonna sink them. they are gonna have a hard time being able to borrow money and get back into business once the pandemic starts dying down.

Hvabbdakur

May 10, 2018
I mean the DNC went through with Democratic primaries on Tuesday so nothing fucking matters. If those ghouls don't give a shit can you imagine a corporation?
Uh, the DNC has no control over when or how a state conducts primaries, and has no authority to cancel or postpone a primary. It falls to individual governors, of whom one has postponed the primary, one has moved it fully to postal voting, and others have continued voting.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I went to Best Buy recently and it was like a ghost town.

It also helps that ppl are staying home to stop the virus from spreading. I'm one of those whose company is still open so I'll be out n about until they tell us to stay home.

emb

Oct 28, 2017

It's out there and they won't be able to just take one video down to squash this. Fuck them.

Thanks for posting, good listen. Sad to hear that they're pretty much doing nothing and the answer to every question is just spin on 'idk'.

I respect that they want to keep people employeed, and they want people to be able to get games... but I feel like they're doing a terrible job. Not sure they could survive closing and still paying employees a while, but would have been nice to see if possible. Big thing they should have done at least imo is try and convince people to order online, call to offer to convert preorders to shipped orders, etc.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I have also backed-up the full YouTube video in case the Gamestop complaint ends up taking it down, but I am sure it is already being re-hosted to vimeo or something

Oct 26, 2017

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Here's what's going on at the Downtown Toronto EB location, yikes. Folks just don't give a fuck (buyers and EB to a lesser extent):

www.cp24.com

'You just have to come and get your hands on it:' New releases prompt customers to line up outside EB Games

The release of two popular video games has prompted gamers from across the city to press pause on some of the social distancing measures recommended by health experts in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Boy, that's fucked up.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Here's what's going on at the Downtown Toronto EB location, yikes. Folks just don't give a fuck (buyers and EB to a lesser extent):

www.cp24.com

'You just have to come and get your hands on it:' New releases prompt customers to line up outside EB Games

The release of two popular video games has prompted gamers from across the city to press pause on some of the social distancing measures recommended by health experts in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Just buy the digital version for fuck's sake.