• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Incredible article Ishaan. Thank you for your comprehensive and detailed work.

Follow him on Twitter:
Read it while listening to Beyond the Sky for the millionth time.

I'm so incredibly thankful that a studio as ambitious as Monolith Soft can continue to exist.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention the name being a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's always nice to see them getting more attention. It really is amazing to see how far they've come and where they are now.

Hopefully next year is the year we see what they're next big game is.

zkUTWPB.gif

RZ2AFzT.png

rsTIypa.gif

I wish they'd go back to making narrative focused games instead of the Xenoblade open world stuff.

Xenogears is easily one of my favorite games - not because of big robots or because OMG the world is 10,000 square virtual miles but because of where the story goes and the characters we got to hang out with for the duration of the game (and OK, the soundtrack was also pretty spectacular). I have yet to touch a single Xenoblade game just because it doesn't seem anywhere close to that. I know I'll have a dozen people quoting me and claiming that the Xenoblade games are "amazing" etc etc but I know they won't be something I'd be interested in at all.
The Xenoblade games are all narrative focused, but just not as "big" as Xeogears or Xenosaga. Xenoblade 1's story is very watered down and characters aren't very deep, and it's straightforward compared to Gears/Saga, but you can tell it's still very much a "Xeno" game. While Xenoblade X's big story/development is in the side content and meant to be done alongside the main story as a compliment. They're both still great games.

But Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the most like Xenogears/Xenosaga in it's characters, writing, story, setting, and themes. Xenogears, Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are the games the have the most in common when it comes to that style. The only thing XC2 does differently is having more segments like Chu-chu's transformation, Dan, G-Elemnts transformation, etc. There's a little more comedy, but nothing that feels out of place for a Xeno game.

So if you were to try any Xenoblade game, I would highly recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but all of them really are still good.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I have a Day of Crisis copy somewhere.... i should actually play that some day
Indeed you should! I've only played it twice but both playthroughs cemented my belief it was one of my absolute favorite Wii games. I would like to play it again some day but it's such a pain to hook up my British Wii, I'll just wait 20 years before Nintendo re-release it and let North America have it.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Using the XB2/Torna engine it would look beautiful, but I doubt SE would allow it. I'm surprised Nintendo hadn't tried. It's not like they haven't licensed games from other devs. Bayonetta for one

I'm sure part of it also comes down to if Monolith wants to do it and if not maybe Nintendo respects that.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am always conflicted when it comes to current Monolith and "Xeno" games...
As a huge for of Xenogears and Xenosaga, I really like Monolith Soft and I am getting they are getting more recognition then before.

But personally I wasn't a huge fan of the direction they took in Xenoblade series. While very good game, Xenoblade didn't really feel like a Xeno game to me and I felt I didn't get what I wanted even if I enjoyed for what it is.. Xenoblade X finally brought more sci-fi and mech element, but the direction it took was just not what I wanted.
Xenoblade 2 is probably the closest one to what I want from Xeno games in Xenoblade series.. I do wish the Story was a bit more complicated messed up like older Xeno games but I still really enjoyed it.

I really hope the next Xenoblade game feels like a continuation of Xenoblade 2, with story feeling even closer to Xenogears/saga.. that would be my dream.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Would have been nice if the article talked about their games on the side such as their Super Robot Wars stuff and Project X Zone.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This article is lovely. I've been a fan since Xenogears, and there were some details in here that I didn't know. Such as Kunihiko Tanaka being the character designer on Ys 3 and Popful Mail.

I gotta wonder what one needs to do to get a Soma Bringer remake and Xenoblade X port on Switch tho. Xenoblade X is such a lovely game and I still break out my Wii U for it from time to time. Would like to have a Definitive Edition with a redesigned UI/UX and QoL.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade. Please let's talk about other games they made like Baten Kaitos. They should make a spiritual successor to it. They don't need to be the Xenoblade factory now. They're too talented to be stuck on one franchise. I know they help with Zelda and other franchises. I want a new IP from in-house or a spiritual successor to Baten Kaitos at some point.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They're a very interesting and unique studio with a fascinating history. Baten Kaitos series remains their high point for me, with Xenogears not too far behind. I would kill for Nintendo and Bamco to work something out with the BK IP, even if for just a remaster. Honne and the Kyoto branch are still just on support duty I think, they need to let that man create something new again.

Xenoblade series is fine, but each entry has had major drawbacks and issues for me preventing me from really loving it. Definitely want to see what they've got cooking on that medieval inspired game they've been working on. Here's hoping they haven't dropped it in favor of or retooled it be another Xenoblade game since it's become a valuable brand for them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade. Please let's talk about other games they made like Baten Kaitos. They should make a spiritual successor to it. They don't need to be the Xenoblade factory now. They're too talented to be stuck on one franchise. I know they help with Zelda and other franchises. I want a new IP from in-house or a spiritual successor to Baten Kaitos at some point.
I want a sequel. all nintendo characters if they have to

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

I think Monolith are making the games they want to make. The Xenoblade games are all so different now, even if there are elements that are similar. But I don't think it's like they're being forced at gunpoint, there's a very obvious passion in Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 after Xenoblade where it's obvious they're doing the games they want to make.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Very very impressive read about my favourite games ever made. I even bookmarked the article because that's how good it was. I enjoy reading the in depth history just like I did in perfect works! My dream would be KOS-MOS getting in smash or some new role in the next Xenoblade game. I feel like the symbol of Monolith Soft deserves more recognition.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
They should make a BK collection to begin with 'cuz Origins is one of the best jRPG ever and more people need to play it.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I adore when news sits chronicle the history of studios and series like this.

That's probably due to my degree in history, but still. It's so freaking cool to me to learn about these lesser known studios.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Great article and bless Nintendo for giving Monolith a chance and teaching them the right way to develop games.

I'm such a big fan of them thanks to Xenoblade and I can't wait for their next game.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
is it a Monolith Soft thread without gifs of their best game?

that 1st trailer was so hype it sold me a wii u

i dont even remember hearing that song in the game btw and it was an absolute banger

www.youtube.com

Wii U - Monolith Soft Trailer

Like Wii U on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WiiU Like Nintendo on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NintendoFollow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Nint...

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm on Episode III of my Xenosaga replay and it has reinforced how underrated the series is among Monolith fans. It deserves a place alongside Gears. It offers a different take on the ideas presented in Gears and quite honestly I think its cast has more synergy than the Gears cast. Yes, episode 2 drags. But Gears was essentially incomplete, and had it not run out of budget the narrative would have overstayed its welcome, since none of the major plot points are explained until the last parts of the game, and are usually interspersed between long stretched of gameplay. Both Gears and Saga are flawed masterpieces of old Monolith Soft IMO.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
that 1st trailer was so hype it sold me a wii u

i dont even remember hearing that song in the game btw and it was an absolute banger

www.youtube.com

Wii U - Monolith Soft Trailer

Like Wii U on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WiiU Like Nintendo on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NintendoFollow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Nint...
It's the title screen theme. You have to stay on it for a while to hear it.

And some more historical gifs.

ZDBIPH9.gif

V2BCr7f.gif

7Sw9Coz.gif

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
Takahashi's skills as a writer are way overblown, because people always forget about Soraya Saga.

Soraya Saga worked on Xenogears and Xenosaga but she didn't work on Xenoblade. Many people love Xenogears and Xenosaga but think that Xenoblade is completely different. I wonder why!
Oh come on. Soraya is credited as a writer in XB2. She also didn't write for XS3 and that one is considered the best Xenosaga by many people.

I appreciate giving her credit but let's not throw her husband under the bus please. Especially since they are a married couple who support each other.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading this. As someone who loves every single game Takahashi has touched and believes he can do no wrong (yes, I'm even talking about Xenosaga 2), but also finds the history of Monolithsoft - even its ups and downs - utterly fascinating, this was a fantastic read.

I cannot wait to see what they have planned next. And in the meantime, I wouldn't mind replaying Xenoblade X. I need a reason to unplug my Wii U.

what the actual f**k?!

I've played like 40 hours of this game and never knew this existed before now.

is it a Monolith Soft thread without gifs of their best game?

God I love X so much.

If you just gave me X's world paired with Gears/Saga's narrative, I wouldn't even know what to do with myself.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading, quite lengthy, but great read.

I've only played through Xenosaga 1 and 2 (I missed out on XS3 and now it's super expensive :'( ), but all 3 XB games are in my backlog. Do y'all think XCX will be ported to Switch? Is it at least technically possible?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on. Soraya is credited as a writer in XB2. She also didn't write for XS3 and that one is considered the best Xenosaga by many people.

I appreciate giving her credit but let's not throw her husband under the bus please. Especially since they are a married couple who support each other.
I thought she was credited as guest artist on XB2?

Apr 26, 2020
Currently working on Xenosaga Episode 2. Don't know to what extent I'll ever tackle the Blade games. I had no idea they were involved with the Zelda franchise now; that makes me even more excited for the Breath of the Wild sequel.

Monolith soft supports almost every Nintendo game nowadays xD. Ok BotW had very substantial support from Monolith , but in the credits of games like Splatoon(2) and Animal Crossing (NL and NH) they are also named

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
My favourite videogame studio with no doubt. I wish i could play Saga on modern consoles (=Switch) since I never played the originals, but I loved Gears and I would love some more on that line.
Despite the fact that Xenoblade 1 and X are my favourite games ever, I would love to see Takahashi try again the space opera approach that he had with Gears/Saga, but with a good gameplay this time.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you liked BotW, its very likely you'll at least like XCX. It's like proto BotW - light on story aspects, and a huge explorable world.
That's giving XCX a shitton of credit lol. It's like BotW if there were significantly more restrictions, a forgettable cast, and worse pacing maybe.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Nice article! It was interesting in reading about the help with development practices that Nintendo brought them. Monolithsoft has always been an ambitious studio but you can really see how much better they got at scoping under Nintendo.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's giving XCX a shitton of credit lol. It's like BotW if there were significantly more restrictions, a forgettable cast, and worse pacing maybe.
I mean the only character that kinda isn't forgetable in XCX is Elma

But I don't think I could say BoTW done it good too

Both had forgettable cast and bad pacing

Waltz

Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo
I wish they'd go back to making narrative focused games instead of the Xenoblade open world stuff.

Xenogears is easily one of my favorite games - not because of big robots or because OMG the world is 10,000 square virtual miles but because of where the story goes and the characters we got to hang out with for the duration of the game (and OK, the soundtrack was also pretty spectacular). I have yet to touch a single Xenoblade game just because it doesn't seem anywhere close to that. I know I'll have a dozen people quoting me and claiming that the Xenoblade games are "amazing" etc etc but I know they won't be something I'd be interested in at all.
As a fan of their work since xenogears, who played most of their games, I can tell you that you will find all these elements in Xenoblade 1 and 2. They have been trying to tell this story three times in three different ways with xenogears, xenosaga and now xenoblade... the characters, the universe may be different but the general archetypes of the tale are all there. If you like xenogears for its story you should definitely give it a try.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Afaik she isn't credited..

But I doubt she didn't have input indirectly with the story of xenoblade 2 it reused alot of their previous story.. the ones she and her husband wanted to tell(Xenogears)

Pretty clear Rex is based on Abel and Pyra/Mythra on Elly/Miang & Fei/Id

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Monolith are making the games they want to make. The Xenoblade games are all so different now, even if there are elements that are similar. But I don't think it's like they're being forced at gunpoint, there's a very obvious passion in Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 after Xenoblade where it's obvious they're doing the games they want to make.
Meh I disagree. It's all Xenoblade. This is what Nintendo wants. Takahashi said in an interview how frustrating it is with Nintendo getting any other new projects off the ground that's not Xenoblade.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What does being married have to do with anything? You're void of criticism because you're married to someone you work with?

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
I thought she was credited as guest artist on XB2?
At the very least she describes herself as "screenwriter" in her twitter handle of Xenoblade2 alongside Xenogears and Xenosaga.

What does being married have to do with anything? You're void of criticism because you're married to someone you work with?
I'm saying it's pretty pointless trying to pit them against each other when they have been reinforcing each other as writers from the beginning. And like I said it's inaccurate to say she was involved in all of Xenosaga (only worked on the first game) and completely uninvolved in Xenoblade.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the article. A great read indeed.

There was one throwaway line in there that caught my attention beyond the Xeno-talk:

Iwata also began collaborating with one of the Monolith Soft's three co-founders—Yasuyuki Honne, art director of Xenogears—to conceptualize a new Earthbound game for the GameCube

I'd never heard of that but yes please!

I know it's years later, but Honne really should get to direct again. A new Eartbound with pre-rendered background like BK could be sensational