• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite's Season 11 is around the corner, and many players are looking for the dust to settle after a contentious Season 10. Today, developer Epic announced some changes coming to the main battle royale mode, including alterations to matchmaking in the upcoming 10.40 patch and the addition of bots in Season 11.

In a blog post today, Epic wrote that it will be adding "improved matchmaking logic to Battle Royale core modes to create fairer matches" with the 10.40 patch. The post doesn't get much more specific about the changes, but Epic notes, "You will be more likely to match with players of similar skill, and as you get better, so should your opponents." The changes will happen progressively across regions. Currently, players are matched in lobbies regardless of skill level, which can create unbalanced games.
In Season 11, Epic will also add bots to non-competitive modes:

In the next Season, we are adding Bots to Fortnite. They will behave similarly to normal players and will help provide a better path for players to grow in skill. Bots will work in conjunction with the new matchmaking system, and as your skill improves, you'll face fewer Bots. Bots will not be present in Competitive playlists. This is another system that we will continue to update and iterate.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've done something like this before on games I've worked on.
Having more granular control of the onboarding process is pretty darned important for PVP games to optimize your retention funnel.
I know I had a terrible time trying to learn Fortnite and dying repeatedly to people with TTV in their names.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm expecting some top players to do a bit worse in their games.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna see a big increase in new accounts being made. lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's been very apparent this needed to happen. The skill gap is massive in fortnite and the way building works makes it almost impossible for a really good player to actually lose to someone a lot worse in a 1v1.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to piss off a lot of people

People dont want to match with equal skill players. They prefer a mix.

Especially in fortnite where if youre a good builder, you're going to match with other good builders which makes games exhausting because every battle will be a big build battle.

it will also lead to losing on purpose to get into lower skilled brackets

i understand why they did it, fortnite is hard af and impossible for new players to learn. The game has an insanely dedicated playerbase and Epic has always tried to lower the skill gap to a lot of backlash

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
The bots things kinda raise my eyebrows a bit. But actual skill based matchmaking makes me happy. My building is trash I can't compete with kids doing 90s.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...Probably a good thing, especially for the younger players who play it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Because they are basically doing that without you having to choose a separate playlist?
Lol right

it seems the community is actually fine with it (for now). Its hated in cod though

however, the skill gap in fortnite is absolutely insane. They needed to do something. The items they were adding to help noobs was making skilled players upset

i might actually get back into fortnite. I realy liked the game but hated losing and hated how the building went from tactical And simple to spammy and complex

you literally had no choice against Certain players in fortnite

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
One of the things I liked about Fortnite was NOT having skill-based matchmaking. It meant if you got better at the game you could actually win more often, as opposed to matchmaking systems that push everyone toward the same constant win rate. It sucks if you win 1% of your matches as a new player, then put in a ton of work to get better and still just win 1% of your matches as an elite player.

But I guess the skill gap between new/casual players and veterans has probably gotten much bigger since when I started.

Hopefully they still allow a fairly wide range of skill levels to play together, to recreate a similar feeling to when the game was newer.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Considering their last attempt to balance the scales and allow less skilled players to win was the giant fucking missile-spamming hyper-mobile B.R.U.T.E.S, this is probably a good change. News like this is the kind of stuff that might convince me to keep playing, because I was thinking about checking out.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They just need a damned ranked mode, people dont whine about sbmm when it comes with a shiny badge and some reward.

Apex ranked is a lot of fun, needs to be tweaked but it makes it so there is something to play for.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of sbmm in BR games outside of their own playlist/mode. One of the reasons I like BR games is that it's kind of a huge clusterfuck in terms of what you're going to run into, which I like. As soon as you start introducing sbmm, ranked, or any sort of equivalent you're going to people starting to smurf, and while pubstomping isn't something you're going to want to happen every match I still like it happening sometimes. It's also weird in this case because Fortnite already has a "ranked" mode in Arenas, although that's a separate disaster with it having *only* Solos and Trios options this season (and yes Arenas is balanced slightly differently and has Siphon). And while skill IS important, BR games have an inherent luck/RNG aspect with drops, circle etc. As someone's who is pretty bad who this is probably trying to cater to (only 3 solo wins since season 3, me and a full friend squad will win maybe one match a night in Squads) this is kind of the opposite of what I want because now not only is matchmaking with friends probably going to be a shitshow since we're all pretty different skill levels, even if it's working as intended I don't want to sweat my ass off every match; if I wanted that I would already be playing Arenas.

This really feels like they are trying to chase their fabled "we want everyone to be able to win a game/feel good" mentality because they're seeing declining user numbers (not that Fortnite isn't still absolutely crushing it, but it's peak numbers probably weren't sustainable for any game). I'm very curious to see how this pans out; I'm assuming that the counter to having really bad players play against other bad players (all of whom will still complaint of sweats) is the bot thing but that just seems kind of dumb. This whole thing is weird. Like, are they starting totally fresh? Is someone who was really good in seasons 1-6 but stopped playing and comes back now going to be placed super high? How are they going to handle parties of disparate skill levels? How do they counter smurfing? How are these bad players they're trying to cater to going to feel when they get killed by a bot? I'm super interested in how this actually winds up working out in practice, but I would have much rather have seen them draw better lines between core and arena than this.

This Daequan tweet from earlier this year that has made the rounds several times in regards to the mech and multiple other unpopular changes this year continues to age well:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped playing long ago because I fell so far behind the build skill curve. If this is even somewhat successful, I'd give it another shot.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Half the appeal of BR games is the large variety of player types you can encounter. If im being put into games where everyone is super try hard its a bit less fun.

The game mode itself is its own kind of matchmaking with better players lasting longer, so this just seems like yet another attempt to give new players easier wins because wins are apparently so important.

Encountering a team of crazy players riding around in their vehicle beeping at you and then accidentally flipping their car is something that should be something that can happen regardless of how seriously you're taking it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
This is going to be really interesting because it will affect how people approach each game. The risks you could take running around the map when only 10% or so of any given lobby were high level players will be different if they're all streamers and gods.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Even the least practiced people are hundred times faster than me in building forts and shooting me in the face.

Fornite will never a thing for me.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Maybe I'll actually start playing again. I primarily play Gears 5 multiplayer against bots. I'm just too old for this shit.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
They just need a damned ranked mode, people dont whine about sbmm when it comes with a shiny badge and some reward.

Apex ranked is a lot of fun, needs to be tweaked but it makes it so there is something to play for.
Fortnite does have a ranked mode which is what they use to qualify for tournaments and is actually really fun and rewarding.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people against fighting people of similar skill?

Because a lot of people just want to win all the time. They brain isn't going to think "Wow I made the top 10, that's pretty good", they think "Wow, I came 7th? I should have come first, this is lame, I'm going to play something else instead."

It's why Smurfing is a problem in multiple match-making based games.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If this truly implements SBMM (and thus players start to win the 1/100 solo games, 1/50 duo games, 1/25 squad games that you'd expect), people will go nuts and Epic will revert it within days. The bots move makes some sense, but I hope you don't see them if you're an experienced player at all.

Epic clearly feel like they have an issue onboarding new players these days.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because it makes for less cool looking highlight reels and less opportunities to get first.

You sure? Surely now there will be games filled with people that deliberately just want to be the dumbest worst players ever and it'll then become a competition to who can off themselves the fastest so they can stay in the worst of the worst tier.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You sure? Surely now there will be games filled with people that deliberately just want to be the dumbest worst players ever and it'll then become a competition to who can off themselves the fastest so they can stay in the worst of the worst tier.
Imagine a highlight reel of people just offing themselves ingame asap, over and over again lol. I want to see that at least once.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a highlight reel of people just offing themselves ingame asap, over and over again lol. I want to see that at least once.

It's unrelated but there was a video awhile back of someone trying to become the Worst Bayonetta Player in Smash Ultimate which was fun. As they had to do Bad, but not TOO BAD to trigger the games in-built system that banned players that were deliberately throwing matches and not actually engaging with the game.

I imagine some equivalent could be done for Fortnite in some form.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Nice, my casual cross-play squad that's primarily dropping in just to chat and emote might not have our goofin' around cut short as often. We're interested enough in BR to stick there and not go to Creative, which isn't for us, but we're definitely not getting sweaty.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I always think connection quality should always be the very top priority for matchmaking above all. SBMM I usually dislike, especially when it's completely in the background and we don't know our actual skill ranking. It also becomes a problem when your friends aren't in the same skill rating as you, resulting in both usually having a bad time and just not wanting play together.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see how this plays out. After playing the CoD beta I think people are more interested in stomping players worse than them instead of playing players of equal skill.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's really interesting ... matchmaking in a games of 100 players can't be easy.

They did this briefly in Apex Legends I think the reaction was positive, even with some longer queue waiting times.

idolminds

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if they managed to teach bots basic building skills. That seems like a difficult task.