• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
It's too early to judge but I do really really hope Barret gets treated in a way that's more respectful and organic and that Square don't lean on the stereotype elements of the localization just because it's what a lot of fans expect.

He's one of the most emotionally affecting characters in the game and you can still convey his gruff and brash and secretly tender personality without resorting to the same crude representation and he'd be much better for it.

The stuff with Dyne, Marlene and Coral are some of the most impactful moments I've had with the medium, and it'd be really great if they could prioritize the things that makes him human instead of the things that make him a caricature.

Last edited:

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dropping Billingslea was a huge mistake in my opinion. The new actor sounds jarringly forced and very much like he's doing an impression of some kind. It's not great and it immediately rubbed me the wrong way.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some things should definitely be left back in 1997. The 20xx remake shouldn't be leaning into the messy English localisation from over 20 years ago.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Mr.T is an 80s icon... and Barret was clearly a play on him.
Strong, tough, badass.

Is Mr. T, a prominent black celebrity legend, considered a troubling racist caricature now... even if voiced by a person of color?

That's what I'm confused about. I doubt him being portrayed as Mr. T was great for the game. I'm black and I like everything about him so far.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
It's one of the problems this remake has. The biggest problem, however, is that it's not faithful to the original game when it comes to gameplay. Aside from that it just looks bad, when compared to the original (that's an important distinction).

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I find it really odd and actually kind of infuriating that this author takes issue with the one or two lines of dialogue we've heard because it "plays into the stereotype" of black men being hulking masses of muscle like it's new. This has always been an issue with 'your dude' Barret's portrayal right down to his actual design and ever since the game released in 1997.

If you take issue with his voice acting for those reasons then you should be taking issue with the character as a whole. Otherwise, to me as a black man, this whole article just feels like a white guy stirring up controversy about issues unrelated to himself that he doesn't actually understand for clicks. Go away with this nonsense.

Oh shit I didn't know you was black lol. But I agree with what you said. Seems like someone trying to stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people in the whole planet are really concerned about this. This sounds like a huge overreaction to me.
Are you black? Serious question.

On topic, here's my reply to the article in question; made it a few days ago when the article first went up. Makes more sense to repost than to rewrite.

Black people aren't a monolith, so I can only speak for myself, but so far, I have no issues with it. Don't have issues with blaxsploitation Barrett from the original, though I can see where others come from when they do have issues. Back then, i was just "cool, a dude who looks like and he's not a punk ass who takes shit all the time!" and rolled with it. Barrett was cool, he looked like me, and he wasn't the bad guy!

I took that as a win.

And even before this trailer, when people were hoping we'd get a more mellowed out Barrett for this remake, akin to the Japanese translation, I was kind of hoping we didn't. Having some jive caricature wasn't the goal, but someone who spoke with black colloquialisms and dialects; with snappy quips, comebacks, but also someone who speaks with comfort in their intelligence and confidence. Less 50 Cent, no Uncle Ruckus, and more Sam Jackson. That's the kind of Barrett I wanted. That's the kind I hope I get.

Don't know if that's what we're going to get, but so far, I'm not worried about the depiction.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Damn, they worried for me? I love the voice, love Mr T and love Lincoln Osiris.
If he sounded any other way I'd be disappointed.

Oct 31, 2017
Mr.T is an 80s icon... and Barret was clearly a play on him.
Strong, tough, badass.

Is Mr. T, a prominent black celebrity legend, considered a troubling racist caricature now... even if voiced by a person of color?
I find it really odd and actually kind of infuriating that this author takes issue with the one or two lines of dialogue we've heard because it "plays into the stereotype" of black men being hulking masses of muscle like it's new. This has always been an issue with 'your dude' Barret's portrayal right down to his actual design and ever since the game released in 1997.

If you take issue with his voice acting for those reasons then you should be taking issue with the character as a whole. Otherwise, to me as a black man, this whole article just feels like a white guy stirring up controversy about issues unrelated to himself that he doesn't actually understand for clicks. Go away with this nonsense.
That's what I'm confused about. I doubt him being portrayed as Mr. T was great for the game. I'm black and I like everything about him so far.

As a kid of the 80's I freaking looooooved Mr. T. He was one of my idols growing up and I loved his persona, his mannerisms, the way he spoke. So naturally, I love Barrett and what little voice acting we've heard sounds a lot like the voice I had in my head when I first played the game and certainly not over the top. Calling this portrayal cartoonish or over the top sounds like an insult to Mr. T.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

I might be missing something here, but the writer of this piece isn't white, it's by Gita Jackson, a black woman...

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
As someone who never really played through FF7, the lines I heard from him in the most recent trailer sounded like the black stereotype I always assumed his character would sound like. I mean, it's a Japanese game from the late 90s, so unfortunately I'm not that surprised by it.

Personally, I don't feel offended by it so much as I feel the voice acting sounds like a stereotype of a stereotype (the tweet comparing it to RDJ in Tropic Thunder is pretty accurate, but maybe Cole Train from Gears of War is an even more apt comparison). It's the synthesis of the cliché "hyper-masculine black man" voice to me, I guess. Maybe as more voice over work comes out, my assumptions will be proven false. I hope they are.

edit:

In Kotaku video producer Tim Rogers's analysis of the translation, he points out how the English translation, which he says was done by a single person in two weeks, inserted that characterization after the fact. Barret's characterization in this version involves an exaggerated black dialect, and his re-translated dialogue now also emphasizes Americanized ideals about masculinity.

Well, my apologies to Squaresoft, then.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The first thing I thought of upon hearing Barrett's (new?) voice was how stereotypical it sounded. But Barrett was always supposed to be an obvious copy of Mr T and blaxploitation. So.... At what point does accuracy outway modern values? The answer likely lies in how much effort Square put in the character and understanding the concerns of others

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Makes me wonder what Mr. T's opinion is regarding that he is a racist stereotype and a minstrel actor.

Careful there, buddy.

I'm a black FF fan myself, but it isn't right for you to discriminate other races. Everyone has a right to have a say about this subject.

I feel like the person would also just hand wave different opinions of other black people.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the voice sounds like how the original localisation is written.

I can't imagine "AIN'T NO STOPPIN' THIS TRAIN WE'RE ON" delivered any other way.

Oct 25, 2017
Was definitely getting "Letitia" vibes from those few lines. That kind of exaggerated dialect is fucking annoying, and would turn me off the game completely. I hope I'm wrong though.

for the people who don't remember:

May 26, 2018
Was definitely getting "Letitia" vibes from those few lines. That kind of exaggerated dialect is fucking annoying, and would turn me off the game completely. I hope I'm wrong though.

y'know when I see this I'm like "fuck this sounds so racist"

then I realize

wait

I'm not from detroit

I don't know any black people from detroit

am I the racist? (well yeah but not in this context)

so once and for all, can someone from detroit please confirm that this is a caricature

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Idi most of the Vo is pretty bad from what I can tell, so I'm not too shocked by Barrett being subpar.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Really can't comment much on it since the game isn't out yet, but hopefully it turns out to be fine (or even great). Also only played the original game when it was released, so I was rather young then and probably missed things I could now maybe catch. That said I also love Mr. T, so I might not associate any resemblance as a negative. But also the writing in the game definitely isn't great overall in hindsight, so fucking up a black character isn't really surprising either.

Here's an interview with the actor about the specific role and voice acting overall.
https://gameranx.com/features/id/19666/article/an-interview-with-amanda-strawn/

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I didn't really mind it in the original, and enjoyed Barret quite a bit, but reading how Barret was changed for English script is a little disappointing. It kind of needlessly reduces the character to a reference, and seems to strip his paternal angle a bit. It's the Barret I know now though, and I'm hesitant to let it go. Maybe the remake can marry the two depictions and find a happy medium.

Do we know who the new voice actor is?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Barret always sounded like a Mr. T analog in my head anyways, so I'm completely okay with what we've got.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
First off, what's wrong with Mr T? Loved that dude growing up. Barret was one of my favorite gaming characters from that era because he had that vibe. I never heard about Mr T portraying the stereotype for an entire race until now. Mr T portrayed Mr T.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damning thing s how little video game writing has progressed

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This seems a little baiting to me... tbh all I really care about is how his story of adopting Marlene as his daughter is handled. His gruff masculine outer shell is his defense mechanism and contrasts perfectly with where his heart is when push comes to shove.

I feel like kotaku writes these articles knowing ppl will start these threads and argue for pages and pages acting as proxy martyrs for a cause to siphon clicks.

Reggin

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Oh my... I can't tell anymore if this thread is a sarcasm or not. I really hope they don't change Barret.

Kotaku knows that people are offended by everything novadays and tries to get easy clicks.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it a Mr.T facsmile is a little insulting to Mr.T. It's like someone caught the last 10 seconds of Mr.T doing a PSA.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Every time I read an "As a person of color, I don't mind" angle about this stereotypical translation of the only "person of color" in the game, I cringe.

The amount of apologists for an "Uncle Remus" portrayal of Barrett in this forum is disheartening. In this day and age, I'm surprised more people don't take issue with contemporary white ideas of African-Americans and their culture (aka Jim Crow ideology) being placed within a videogame played by millions.

Last edited:

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
The gruff, over the top, jive talking, muscular black dude character stereotype is so played out. It's beyond a caricature at this point. It's especially suspect given that this isn't how the character actually was originally written, this is just localisation for western audiences.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
FF7 is more than 20 years old so that seems like a legacy holdover.

... I mean, I didn't make it that far in FFXIII but Sazh didn't seem significantly better actually. I mean, it's part of what makes him likable in a sea of stylish Final Fantasy action poses that he's stumbling and bumbling his way through. Could be read as relatable or comic relief. I dunno, didn't get too far.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't understand the "hyper masculine" complaint. Trying to act super gruff and stuff like that is part of his character. I'd hope they everyone who played FF7 would know he has more character than he tries to show at first. I can't imagine many people who know anything about FF7 complaining about this. Maybe this part is just Kotaku being Kotaku.

But yeah he does sound stereotypical like how I expected him to sound back 20 years ago. Which definitely doesn't transition well into today. But I don't even think think this is a "Japanese guy failing to make a black guy" issue, this one is on the localization team. He's not like that in the Japanese trailer.

Last edited:

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
As a kid of the 80's I freaking looooooved Mr. T. He was one of my idols growing up and I loved his persona, his mannerisms, the way he spoke. So naturally, I love Barrett and what little voice acting we've heard sounds a lot like the voice I had in my head when I first played the game and certainly not over the top. Calling this portrayal cartoonish or over the top sounds like an insult to Mr. T.

My phone autocorrected what I said. I said I thought his portrayal of Mr T was great. Mr T was always funny to me.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, it's almost as if the character has gone through significant physical and emotional trauma that would lead to him putting up walls and exuding a tough exterior as a form of coping so he can still get shit done. But what do I know, I'm just a simple factory worker.