• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
So no one had bought five games at a time before this or is a new thing on the store? Funny either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
FWIW Steam and Origin do this too, as will most digital storefronts run by big companies in many scenarios. Others (like Amazon!) have other systems to prevent this (cooldowns, or delays in any transactions beyond X number until they've had the purchase method validated)

Fraud prevention, specifically for compromised accounts & credit card theft (mostly the latter) is a BFD in terms of time, money and customer trust. Most (in my experience, over 99%) legitimate purchase scenarios are going to be at the most three short term short order purchases. In areas of the 1% that it doesn't fall under, it's a high probability of some sort of purchase fraud.

It sucks if this is effecting legit customers, but in my personal opinion this is ultimately great design with bad but not horrific ramifications if it has a false positive. It would be cooler if there was a more elegant implementation (notifying a customer on their last purchase under X time series that hey, after this, no more buys until Y time has elapsed, or something akin to that) but this is Epic doing a "right thing", just not with the best execution.
We're well aware of that.

The issue is that it's a problem of their own creation by offering products for direct purchase (unlike say...Riot points?) without a basic fucking shopping cart. If they had a shopping cart, people would be making 1 big purchase instead of 6 separate ones that are just begging to trigger a fraud alert.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
I think everyone here know this is a thing, and that other stores have cart system so customers can buy multiple titles legitimately in the first place. If a store isn't ready for customers to buy multiple titles in quick succession, there are bunch of temporary measures like put up a disclaimer page telling customers to wait few minutes between purchases. And not having the customers to find it out the hard way by having their account blocked

If a shopping cart is critical to you, then this seems like valid criticism! My post was only to give some background as to the likely motivations, not to dismiss criticism. Entirely agree that if you are going to gate purchases in any way, it's preferable that you disclose that to a customer who might take that action.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
That is a pretty hilarious solution and the right thing to do to protect from fraud.

But you thought this would of been tested internally and either add a warning to purchases adding a few minutes cool down not allowing you to make the purchase or you know the shopping cart would be nice consider pretty major online retailer goes through that cart, detail, buy process which is a social norm never mind an industry one.

Hopefully they'll get it sorted soon but there current communication about the issue is pretty poor.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS missing a shopping cart feels like such clutching at straws bullshit, like seriously its not even that bothersome to buy each game individually. There are many more important features missing from EGS, both complicated and basic, than a fucking shopping cart people.

Its good to see their antifraud system works though. Imagine spinning that into a negative story.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting more than a little fatigued by this type of story. It just feels like pointless piling on because it's the in thing. I believe twitter person that his account got locked. That sucks, but hopefully it's a quick fix if he contacts support. If this isn't happening to most people then I just don't get the big deal? I think it's actually better to have a few false positives than no anti fraud measures

krissgjeng

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Weird how Nintendo doesn't have one yet people don't complain their heads off eh? Its almost like people want to go out of their way to dunk on epic or something.

At least on the eshop you can add money to your account, so you can buy multiple games with only one credit card transaction.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
EGS missing a shopping cart feels like such clutching at straws bullshit, like seriously its not even that bothersome to buy each game individually. There are many more important features missing from EGS, both complicated and basic, than a fucking shopping cart people.

Its good to see their antifraud system works though. Imagine spinning that into a negative story.

It's a negative story because it's a false positive that only occurs due to the stores lack of a shopping cart.

If steam would work like this id have to contact the support every other week

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
"Legitimate people getting locked out of buying games for no reason - working as intended and imagine spinning this positive thing into a negative."

Do you happen to be a professional gymnastic by any chance?

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Legitimate people getting locked out of buying games for no reason - working as intended and imagine spinning this positive thing into a negative."

Do you happen to be a professional gymnastic by any chance?
As if that has not happened with Steam, Origin, uPlay, PSN, XBL & eShop ever right?
People get false flagged in online shopping systems all the fucking time, regardless whether there is a shopping cart or not. A simple google will prove my point here.
It's a negative story because it's a false positive that only occurs due to the stores lack of a shopping cart.

If steam would work like this id have to contact the support every other week
The algorithm is obviously not as simple as 'buy 5 games'. We even have people in here saying their account wasn't locked out after 5 purchases. It's more complex than that.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
It's my Birthday the end of the month.

Me: I want these 7 games for my birthday
Epic Gamestore : No no, now put some back
Me: Your not my mum
Epic Gamestore: .....

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Given how targeted Epic accounts are for fraud (I was getting emails constantly about people trying to access my account), I can see why they'd be a bit more aggressive with this kind of stuff. Still, this is just a mess and not excusable.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
As if that has not happened with Steam, Origin, uPlay, PSN, XBL & eShop ever right?
People get false flagged in online shopping systems all the fucking time, regardless whether there is a shopping cart or not. A simple google will prove my point here.
Are you honestly saying PSN or Steam for example has this same problem in the same scope?

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you honestly saying PSN or Steam for example has this same problem in the same scope?
What scope? We have 1 person on twitter who was blocked, there is no scope. There is not some mass fraud flag exodus happening like you seem to think there is.

Literally google "(insert any online store here) flagged for fraud" and you will find plenty accounts of legitimate people being flagged by the system. Its even happened with me in uPlay and it was resolved in minutes, you don't see me tearing down the walls though do you?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The eShop has no shopping cart, and has sales every week...
"Nintendo doesn't do it either" isn't a great defense, you know that right?

Hell, the Switch eShop launches with a search bar and has a wishlist feature, so congrats to Epic for officially being more behind the times than fucking Nintendo

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The store is very popular.

Only angry nerds dislike it for some reason no one can understand.

The plethora of reasons have been vocalized quite clearly. It's just that people with a Valve hate-on and those who buy into Epic's messaging don't try to understand them.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
LOL

Why would they want to punish people for buying a lot of games? I get it's for fraud, but still, you think that they've could've done better.

Like having a shopping cart option in which you can buy games at one time, with one transaction.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The store is very popular.

Only angry nerds dislike it for some reason no one can understand.

The discussions around the EGS sure are popular. Good thing you showed those pesky nerds with their facts and opinions whose boss in here /s
Maybe you're able to understand some of those reasons if you try to put some thought into it.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine trying to defending a blatant oversight... Defense culture truly is something.
Also given timeframe and already missed deadline for some features seems like shopping cart will probably be here next year at this point. Yikes!

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Imagine trying to defending a blatant oversight... Defense culture truly is something.
Also given timeframe and already missed deadline for some features seems like shopping cart will probably be here next year at this point. Yikes!

Have they released any promised features lately? Weren't cloud saves supposed to be Feb? Are those out yet?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking baffling that they'd spend millions on getting their store exclusives without bothing to pay someone to code a shopping cart for their fucking store first.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao oh pat , hes such a giant baby I bet his reaction when he got the message was hilarious. I can perfectly picture him throwing a tantrum