• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

EDIT: Shoot I didn't add "too many games" to the title sorry! Asking a mod now.
There's a big sale on right now at the Epic Games Store, a time when many users—conditioned by Steam's frequently generous discounts on a huge range of titles—go nuts and buy a ton of stuff real quickly. On Valve's store that's enough to get you a pile of shame, but on Epic's it'll just get your account blocked from making further purchases.

Nick Chester from Epic PR confirmed with Game Revolution that "This was a result of our aggressive fraud rules," and that "If players run into this issue, they should contact player support so we can investigate."
The source:

So I can confirm that me buying a whopping 5 games (ranging from 5 bucks to 50) on the Epic Store flagged my account for possibly fraudalent.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty normal. However the lack of shopping cart might make this a necessity.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Wow, so Pat's tweet really blew up, huh?

I haven't really been on the EGS train, but boy. That's really fucking stupid.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a big sale on right now at the Epic Games Store, a time when many users—conditioned by Steam's frequently generous discounts on a huge range of titles—go nuts and buy a ton of stuff real quickly. On Valve's store that's enough to get you a pile of shame, but on Epic's it'll just get your account blocked from making further purchases.

Nick Chester from Epic PR confirmed with Game Revolution that "This was a result of our aggressive fraud rules," and that "If players run into this issue, they should contact player support so we can investigate."

Here's some actual substance to this headline from the article.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I ran into PayPal asking me if I was making purchases myself by the third game. Luckily I waited a bit between the first four and the last two games I got because this would have probably happened.

Yo, maybe push "a cart" up on the trello board, lol.

EDIT: LOL, it's in long term greater than 6 months. I'm no boycott games or really generally complain about the EGS, but that's just fucking comical.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Really when you think about it what Epic is doing here is brilliant. As we all know, the biggest threat PC gamers face is their own purchasing habits and their own backlogs. This successfully stops people from buying too many games.

Good job Epic.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does this happen when you make a bunch of Fortnite purchases too?

If not, lol

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Epic Game Store: Please buy games at our store

Also Epic Game Store: YOU BETTER NOT OR I SWEAR.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just generally a lot of games? When i first heard this, I heard it was supposedly due to buying multiple games in a different region? That not true?

guess so. Damn, what a train wreck

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
WHY DOES A STOREFRONT IN 2019 NOT HAVE A CART.

JFC I don't use EGS so only know about this now.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Things Supermarket Sweep had:

A cart
Sweet ass hams
Coffee bonuses

Things Epic Games Store has:

No cart
No hams
No coffee

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine

You bend and finally buy games on Epic Store just because they bought exclusives for every fuckin game

And you get banned

😂😂😂😂 Fuck off Epic🖕

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
"Failure is an opportunity to begin again more intelligently."

Let's get "shopping cart completion" a little higher on the LRP, Epic. Before you decide to hold another sale, anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
this is yet another moment showing that crunch culture has a tremendously negative impact on the productivity software development

they sacrificed their employees' physical and mental health without even a shopping cart to show for it

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the free games from them and all, but the recent week or so of news is making me rethink purchasing anything from their store.

Yikes all around

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
It's not the number of games, but because you can only buy one game at a time it forces you to make multiple credit card transactions in a short time which triggers fraud prevention. That's why most stores let you buy multiple things at once in a single transaction.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
When they were spying your Steam stuff, they saw all the shit you bought and never touched. They're just trying to help!

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
It's not the number of games, but because you can only buy one game at a time it forces you to make multiple credit card transactions in a short time which triggers fraud prevention. That's why most stores let you buy multiple things at once in a single transaction.
Buying multiple items at once? What is this witchcraft you speak of?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they also do that if you do region kung fu. Some of these people's account may have gotten blocked because of that (but ofcourse for most it'd have been if they were buying multiple games).
My account got blocked after buying 6 games at once during my first run, but I was able to buy again with a different payment method (paypal), after which the account was unblocked and I was able to use my original payment method (card) again on my third run.

But yea a shopping cart is there for this reason in most stores, in addition to making it convenient it also prevents fraud prevention flag from going up. I don't really understand why a cart was not included in EGS and is an upcoming feature for the next few months.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. I bought 5+ games on the epic store the other day and had no issues but they need a damn cart.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Dont worry guys, Epic is new to the industry.

Lets give them some time to implement these new technologies like a Shopping Cart, being able to buy more than one game, etc.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah we knew this for quite some time.

Yeah it's real amateur hour stuff to have any kind of online store without a shopping basket. It's asking for people to get flagged by fraud protection.

Adding a shopping cart is on Epic's roadmap as a goal for the long term, by which they mean more than six months away.

Even if Epic tweak their anti-fraud stuff to be less trigger happy, there's still the risk of payment providers flagging these types of purchase as potentially fraudulent. I dunno if Epic just don't have anyone with a background in ecommerce on staff or what...

It's another thing to file under "what do Valve actually do to earn their cut of sales?".

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This service does a great job making Steam look like Celestials overlooking the universe.