• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Wilson seems like he wants to have the reigns into the future and a seat at a new table to do new things across other media, maybe that doesn't jive with potential suitors or limits options. Say a game publisher or platform, he would just be doing the same, doesn't seem like he wants to do that, see the talk of approaching Disney and NBC merger with Comcast. I don't think Microsoft, Google would be his sort of thing. More broadly Sony Media, Disney and sports, yes.

This.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point EA is just Respawn plus sports gambling scams, right? Dice and Bioware don't inspire much confidence these days.
Nobody's been able to make a better game like theirs and it's a huge shame. It's a similar situation to BGS, nobody makes an alternative to TES and Fallout, and in BioWare's case there's virtually no better alternative to DA or ME.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Activision purchase would be a bad move. MS doesn't need those big studios. I think they'll end up buying Epic instead.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
All 3rd parties dont do day and date. Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Never said it was common or rare.

"anything but MS" in a thread about EA going to:

Apple, Disney, Comcast, Universal.

But somehow:

Thats being obvious....when as of right now they would still be 3rd party with:

Apple
Disney
Comcast
Universal
But 99% of them do so it's kind of an irrelevant fact to act like Sony doing it wouldn't be a big deal. Even stating that Sony's completely inconsistent PC support as justification for why Sony is the same as Microsoft when it comes to this. They are not.

There's a high chance they would not be 3rd party or release on PC at all if it's Apple. You forgot Amazon which is questionable if they'd still act third party.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
....you and others that are saying this....act like all 3rd parties also do day and date tho....

Thats my entire point.

So....to hell with 3rd parties, only MS's way is the best?

Help me understand, please.
No. I don't want Xbox to get EA because my goal is to see Sony and Microsoft battling it out on somewhat equal footing. That would benefit consumers. Nintendo is doing things differently, but ultimately I want them to do well too.

The way last generation ended isn't healthy for the industry. Sony had almost twice the revenue of Xbox and more than twice the install base. Which then lead to Sony feeling good about asking for 10$ more for their games, introducing weird clauses for developers about cross play and more.

While companies do have different ideas about how to screw consumers, they'll eventually all try it, once they got the power to do so. Whether it's Nintendo, PS, Xbox or someone else. Xbox bought tons of studio's to better compete and that's what we're seeing now. The danger is that MS gets to much power and then we could look at roles being reversed. As in Xbox selling twice as many consoles than Sony and having approximately twice the revenue. I don't want that and I also think Xbox needs to take care of ABK and the toxic environment. Not that it'll matter at all to them, but I'll hold them accountable and criticize them, if they don't fix those issues.

So these are two reasons why I don't want Xbox to get EA. I think a third party publisher would be the best for them, even if that would mean sometimes PC misses out. Not that I think that'll happen, since unlike you I can't think of any third party publisher who ignore PC on Day1 (excluding games with Nintendo/PS time exclusivity).

Last edited:

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
EA also owns several mobile studios, The Sims which is a pretty popular among casuals and good tech too.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't Sony now being open to putting games on PC also be a thing to consider?
Yeah, no. I don't at all want MS acquiring EA or any other big company but Sony's PC approach isn't yet up to par (and is too often used as an excuse for acquisition-wishing in PS threads as though it already is). Fact of the matter is, if MS buys a company, I am far more likely to be able to play that company's games on Steam Day 1 than I am if Sony does.

Your "not all 3rd parties do date and date anyway" point is irrelevant in the context of this EA discussion, and still weak beyond that considering any games from such a publisher would see an improvement in availability in the case of an MS acquisition and likely wouldn't in the case of a Sony one. (As in, I have no reason to believe Sony would put FF16 on Steam day 1 if they owned Square considering they're preventing it from being on Steam Day 1 as it is now, whereas things would be different in MS's case)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But 99% of them do so it's kind of an irrelevant fact to act like Sony doing it wouldn't be a big deal. Even stating that Sony's completely inconsistent PC support as justification for why Sony is the same as Microsoft when it comes to this. They are not.

There's a high chance they would not be 3rd party or release on PC at all if it's Apple. You forgot Amazon which is questionable if they'd still act third party.
All 3rd parties dont do day and date....

Somehow they are fine.

Sony steps in and starts doing PC games, now it needs to be scrutinized, compared to MS....

3rd parties: I sleep.

Hell, all PC games dont come to consoles day and date.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Day and date with consoles and PC didnt matter for Rockstar and GTA V and RDR2...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All 3rd parties dont do day and date.

Thats it.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the games stay multiplat I dgaf.
Anyone who thinks exclusivity is the way for the industry just knows that their preferred box has a fuckton more cash to throw around.

Apr 25, 2020
They're far more likely to get some sniffs if they sub divide their studios for sale rather than EA as a whole. Sony would snap up Bioware, DICE and Respawn in a nanosecond.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't think it'd be a good idea for Microsoft to acquire them simply because that would too many big studios too quickly, as in 3 big publishers in what, three years? They should focus on the two publishers they bought and see how things develop from here and how well they can use what they already have and how well they can integrate within the company and its culture for now.

As for Sony, I dunno it doesn't seem like a good fit for them and I can't say that I trust them not to mess it up just yet thu I do think they're moving quickly towards multiplat releases but still, they'd inheret a PC launcher and storefront with EA when they don't even have a PC storefront of their own yet.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nobody's been able to make a better game like theirs and it's a huge shame. It's a similar situation to BGS, nobody makes an alternative to TES and Fallout, and in BioWare's case there's virtually no better alternative to DA or ME.

Mass Effect I agree, but there are absolutely several great alternatives to Dragon Age, the including Bioware's own former franchise Baldur's Gate. Plus The Witcher, Divinity Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity are obvious alternatives.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand your logic as EA currently does day and date on PC so it would be bad for any company that would acquire them to stop that.

My question is: why is it okay for the games to start skipping PS and Nintendo consoles as long as PC gets them day one? Is PC somehow more important than the other two consoles?

The only ideal situation is something where the platforms the games release on do not change at all. Any scenario that results in games being available on less platforms is bad.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect I agree, but there are absolutely several great alternatives to Dragon Age, the including Bioware's own former franchise Baldur's Gate. Plus The Witcher, Divinity Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity are obvious alternatives.
None of those are viable alternatives IMO. The Witcher doesn't have a party or a customizable character, and DOS and POE both aren't as good and don't even have cinematic storytelling. I *just* beat the first Pillars two days ago and it was a matter of dragging myself across the finish line because Infinity Engine gameplay is a mistake.

Edit: the closest things to DA in my experience are FF12 ZA, and 7R, neither of which have customizable characters but at least play closer to the current DA (Origins was iirc outright inspired by 12)

Last edited:

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My question is: why is it okay for the games to start skipping PS and Nintendo consoles as long as PC gets them day one? Is PC somehow more important than the other two consoles?

The only ideal situation is something where the platforms the games release on do not change at all. Any scenario that results in games being available on less platforms is bad.

Of course traditionally multiplatform games should release on everything. That said, if a game was to only come to one platform in perpetuity, you'd want it on the most open one which is the PC.

I often find conversations surrounding exclusivity of third party games to be a bit backwards because in an ideal world we would be pressuring our console manufacturers to open their box, and allowing the sideloading of third party applications and app stores rather than expecting that everything releases on everything. But that's a conversation for another thread.

In regards to EA, I don't want a console manufacturer to pick them up. Ideally they merge with someone else or preferably stay independent.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017

We both know people will lobby for games to come to their platform of choice.
That.is.it.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Part of me wants to see them get the PapEA treatment after they killed so many of my favorite studios.

I'd love to see someone other than the big three acquire them, though.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Don't think either Sony or Microsoft can get this one through so a media merger makes more sense. And thank god it's not one of them two, not for any restriction of releases but more for the insufferable back and forth about one being better than the other.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Time for Sega to buy EA and get payback for the Dreamcast years with exclusive hardware support for Dreamcast 2!

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
BioWare not worth it for Microsoft or even Sony
most of the big names in the studio already left
and the people who left open new studios
the same with DICE
it's better to target those studios comparing to buying BioWare
the only good studio in the EA now is Respawn imo
They have the IP and they use Unreal Engine again so they are definitely in a great position to turn their ship around.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmm, I would think EA would want to wait until they can prove EA Sports FC is a valuable IP.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking on behalf of my EA stock:
akihiko-ive-been-waiting-for-this.png

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
None of those are viable alternatives IMO. The Witcher doesn't have a party or a customizable character, and DOS and POE both aren't as good and don't even have cinematic storytelling. I *just* beat the first Pillars two days ago and it was a matter of dragging myself across the finish line because Infinity Engine gameplay is a mistake.

Edit: the closest things to DA in my experience are FF12 ZA, and 7R, neither of which have customizable characters but at least play closer to the current DA (Origins was iirc outright inspired by 12)

I disagree that they aren't viable alternatives, but rather that they aren't ideal alternatives. DA isn't like ME where there just straight up isn't anything else to give you even a remotely similar experience (in my view anyway).

Also, I think now with Microsoft now owning both Obsidian and inXile, there's a good chance that we do eventually get a big budget Bioware-esque RPG in the future.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who does EA often compete with when it comes to "worst company in America?" Merge with that one.

I'm sure that would be a bank, but still.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what exactly?
The baggage that comes with the massive Blizzard deal. Until that closes completely and the dust has settled, I'm not sure they're even legally able to pursue further acquisitions.

Like someone else said in here, we probably won't see new acquisition announcements from MS until sometime next year.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
I'm sure adding an additional 6% staff to their total workforce and handling $70B worth of assets out of nearly $2T is too much to chew /s

That's disingenuous. Microsoft made the acquisition but who's going to be responsible for the new studios? That's Phil and Xbox, which last time I checked had fewer employees than Activision.

So including Bethesda, the Xbox division has nearly tripled in size. Yeah, I'd call that biting off more than they can chew.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That's disingenuous. Microsoft made the acquisition but who's going to be responsible for the new studios? That's Phil and Xbox, which last time I checked had fewer employees than Activision.

So including Bethesda, the Xbox division has nearly tripled in size. Yeah, I'd call that biting off more than they can chew.
Do you think Phil Spencer will be head of Blizzard, Activision and King? They will probably continue to operate independently like Zenimax has.