• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Marketing people don't make decisions. They have to live with the terrible decisions handed down to them.

Blaming the Marketing people is the easy way to explain falling sales. But it never works, and it always leads to more layoffs.

Keep an eye on EA. This ship is going down.
If anything Marketing is what keeps them in the game. Because it sure as hell wasn't game quality that got Anthem to top the February NPDs.

Both are true, you have games with terrible marketing, games where it's the only thing drawing sales, but overall, key decisions at the top, in legal and business areas, is drowning EA and puting the blame somewhere else, as always.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
They may be financially stable or even growing due to FIFA Ultimate Team and other annualized titles, but their execution on a growing number of major IPs leaves a lot to be desired and is alienating an increasing number of their fans.

No argument on that front from me. But I just don't see them going out of business anytime soon.

RichGrisham

OOTP Developments
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
Twitch/YouTube marketing works very well for competitive games that feature player versus player interaction but it doesn't do anywhere near as well for single player or cooperative games, they just don't get as much interest. You'll get games that pop for a week at launch, like Anthem or Sekiro, but there's very few with any longevity.

They'd be better off allocating ad budget on YouTube/Twitch preroll ads instead of magazine or - increasingly - TV spend, but laying their hopes all on Twitch/YouTube to market anything but a competitive shooter is asking for disaster. People are pinning an awful lot on Apex Legends as 'the future' of gaming marketing, but that's a free to play product...try that kind of launch with an $80 price tag on it (for Canadians :D ) and see how it goes.

I agree. I'm not suggesting that they go the full 'pay influencers' route. Rather, they should understand that a much, much larger majority of people discover games completely differently than they did even 3 years ago and market accordingly. They should be their own influencers.

If it were me running marketing at EA, virtually all of the entire team would be full-time streamers. Create content about your games 24/7, speaking directly to your customers and showing games constantly. The new ones, the old ones, all of them.

At OOTP that's what we're building towards. We self-produce 5-6 hours of content per week minimum - live Twitch streams (archived immediately to YouTube) and a weekly podcast plus an incredibly active Discord. My dream is to have every day covered with multiple hours of content. That's how you build a community nowadays.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Andrew Wilson salary: 30,000,000 +.

....love how EA has been sucking, yet the CEO doesn't get laid off. Instead, he lays off all of these guys so his financial reports (reduction of having to pay so many salaries +benefits) shows increase in profits/revenue.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Make good unique games. Stop aping on whatevers popular in a desperate attempt to make money. Fuck suits, put faith in the creative.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Thank you! We try our best! :)
I remember you from Playerone Podcast, thanks for the insight.
No argument on that front from me. But I just don't see them going out of business anytime soon.
They're not going anywhere. They're just going to follow a path similar to Activision and rely on fewer and fewer games to bring in money. You don't need huge marketing teams or ad campaigns on Polygon when Twitch and YouTube get the job done for you. If you're only operating in a few categories and those customers are easily reached through those platforms, your operation can become leaner. Unfortunately, that is bad news for people whose careers relied on the more traditional method of marketing products.
Make good unique games. Stop aping on whatevers popular in a desperate attempt to make money. Fuck suits, put faith in the creative.
I'm not sure this is the message they are going to receive when you look at how things have played out between Anthem and Apex Legends. "Aping whatever is popular" is going to be even more of a focus. At some point people need realize these companies are more in the software business than the entertainment business, in terms of what industries you need to compare them to. GaaS has more in common with an operating system than a book or a movie. Product quality and player satisfaction isn't the primary concern. It will at least be interesting to see how traditional games media responds to being cut out of the loop. Hostility towards readership is my guess.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I won't pretend to know any of the specifics about this...but having said that, if this is truly the marketing people being hurt the most by these layoffs, I'll bet that's a simple cold reckoning of the fact that most successful video game marketing these days is done by people that are not your employees. With the death of traditional games media - at a high level it doesn't matter anymore, folks, sorry to say it - and the rise of Twitch, they probably compared their internal marketing activities to Apex Legends (very small) to those of Battlefield and Anthem (very large) and realized the old way of marketing doesn't work anymore.

There's no reason to keep hundreds of people doing jobs that don't matter anymore.

In my opinion, many of those people could be re-trained and effective in some other roles instead of being laid off - but - you also can't take a marketing/PR person and turn them into an animator or programmer without tremendous expense with no guarantee of it yielding results.

The world of games marketing has completely, totally flipped on its head in the last 3 years. Relatively speaking, the things that marketing used to spend a lot of time and money doing - courting the games press, holding special events, writing and sending press releases, spending tons of money of TV and magazine advertisements - don't deliver any value anymore. The things that do matter - millions of viewers on Twitch and YouTube - do deliver value, but that doesn't necessarily match the skill set of a traditional marketing account rep.

Sad but true. And this is from someone who does this for a living. It's all changed, and it changed so fast a lot of people still haven't fully realized it. Not even sure that I have, although we are so small and nimble we can react much more quickly than a lot of others.
Yup. Heck I don't even think it's a problem unique to the gaming industry either. There are a lot of marketing departments in a lot of billion dollar businesses. that still have no response to their competitors cutting out the middlemen and having direct contact with their customer.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how so many people think EA is "going down" in the coming years. That's crazy

Depends on your definition of "going down." I think their business model will crack and they will be forced to adapt, but they are a big company and not run by idiots. EA will exist and be AAA large for the long term. But their current path will not continue to see the same exponential growth as the last few years, and I imagine their stock value will have a come to jesus moment when that reality becomes undeniable.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks. At the very least seems like the employees are getting other positions in the company and the ones leaving are receiving severance. That's good. And of course, the lay off is being made officially, unlike what happened in Activision Blizzard months ago.

Either some people on this site have a hate hard-on for EA that makes them delirious or they've never worked in a professional environment.

This is a terrible day for these people and I hope they land on their feet but taking whatever Anthem/"Daddy, where are we going?" meme baggage you have for this company to make it seem like they are especially cruel when they announce lay-offs is just ignorant. These companies are enormous and success in certain avenues doesn't automatically mean jobs for everyone in another. Sometimes, certain revenues outperforming others can have negative effects and lead to streamlining to focus on what works vs. what doesn't.

Dullifying this thread's discourse with reasoning related to your favorite developer from the 00s not being able to make the games you want (or worse, bringing up metacritic/reviews) is just childish and illustrates a complete lack of maturity/world experience.

Hope the people affected get picked up by other companies and further changes made by upper-management don't affect further employees.

Nice Post.

Caring about their games and employees instead of treating them like money printing machines. Also making good and varied games. Supporting their games for the long term. Releasing free updates and DLC for years.

Employees at EA literally have better conditions than Ubisoft have.

What is Ubisoft doing right that EA can't imitate?

Aside from your vision about the games of both, EA even if in a FY where they get less money YoY still is quite above Ubisoft so I don't think they're looking at it. Ubisoft is the 4th force, behind Activision Blizzard, EA and Take Two. In that order.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
It's 4% of their workforce in mostly bureaucratic positions. they hire in waves and fire in waves, when you have 9,000 employees it's important to trim the fat. Why would you continue to employ hundreds of people in roles that are no longer relevant to the way the industry works?

Letting under 5% go after trimming the fat for a company that size does not make news in any industry other than video games. They're not doing this because they're struggling to make payroll. They are adapting to changes and treating everyone who is being let go fairly with severance / moves on the table.

Last edited:

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that while he took a smaller salary he kept his stock and still received a massive bonus that year, right? I love Iwata, but comparing his move to something like this isn't really fair since Nintendo's structure allowed him to do something like that, whereas other companies can't.
Really? I wanna see these receipts.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Hate seeing news like this. It especially sucks when the suits are probably still receiving more money than they deserve and aren't effected at all. Hope everyone lands on their feet OK.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Are these employees paying for the horrible decisions EA has made from releasing bad, incomplete games, and trying to suck every nickle out of gamers with their insidious micro transaction focus, and how there has been push back to it? I have been done with EA since Battlefront. I will never be on board again unless they do a complete 180 on shit!

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Anthem had a massive marketing blitz while Apex Legends stealth dropped and is more successful. In other words "Why do we need this massive marketing department if our new strategy going forward is buying influencers." Understood Apex is by miles a better game, but still, they have to be seeing how traditional marketing is shifting.

That being said I see a ton of marketing for Apex during the NCAAM tournament.

It's 4% of their workforce in mostly bureaucratic positions. they hire in waves and fire in waves, when you have 9,000 employees it's important to trim the fat. Why would you continue to employ hundreds of people in roles that are no longer relevant to the way the industry works?

Letting under 5% go after trimming the fat for a company that size does not make news in any industry other than video games. They're not doing this because they're struggling to make payroll. They are adapting to changes and treating everyone who is being let go fairly with severance / moves on the table.

Not that I agree with everything you've said, but yeah this is somewhat standard. I've been through a few reductions in forces and half the time it was people hired up for a big surge in work or conversely it was just trimming a lot of low performing workers or an under-performing branch for the health of the business. I've been through a 10% RIF while interviewing college grads at literally the same time.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I hope the same people that hate EA all day long and don't buy their games ( like me, for the most part) will not be surprised here.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
This obviously sucks horribly for those affected, but the sentiments in this thread that
  • Apparently no one should ever be laid off
  • no one in management is affected
are rather strange to me. If there is a major change in the direction of several departments then it almost certainly involves high-level management, even if it isn't the C-level executives.

If there are general issues with how EA treats their employees or has handled their severance, then okay, lets talk about that. But the existence of layoffs is not prima facie evidence of that. And neither is Anthem being bad, nor Battlefield whatever having too many microtransactions.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's kinda what I mean. But a new tweet from Jason said that they've been expecting it:

So, maybe a bunch of the teams did make it to San Francisco. But, really, they should have pulled the trigger before the event so people could make arrangements.

Good. At least a hiring freeze was put into place and severance is being paid out. Heard from some software dev friends that EA is comparatively okay to work for. Not that it means much but there you go. Least this ain't a Telltale 'what severance?' or Activision 'record profits' situation. Still so many on the ground workers suffering. Fucking sucks.
This industry is fucked.

A week after GDC too? Particularly cruel.
True. But marketing and analytics aren't as big in the scene at GDC from what I hear. It's mostly devs and indie devs and publishers throwing pitches at each other. But I'm not an expert so.

Deleted member 26900

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
True. But marketing and analytics aren't as big in the scene at GDC from what I hear. It's mostly devs and indie devs and publishers throwing pitches at each other. But I'm not an expert so.

I keep seeing this being said and while it's true the chance of getting a new job is lower, this is a load of crap (no offense). It's still a fantastic place to network with other like minded individuals. I've gone there for over 10 years and have met loads of people from both sides. At the very least, it's better than nothing at all.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh great, it must be those departments that were responsible and that's why they were laid off.

This sucks. Wish the people effected better fortune.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing this being said and while it's true the chance of getting a new job is lower, this is a load of crap (no offense). It's still a fantastic place to network with other like minded individuals. I've gone there for over 10 years and have met loads of people from both sides. At the very least, it's better than nothing at all.
None taken. I mean, yeah, what you're saying is completely true. I don't want to act like GDC acts like a huge clique of developer only types (I mean it mostly ain't), just saying that getting a marketing or analytic job is so much lower compared to an indie dev doing a pitch. And those are barely guaranteed anything either, even if the pitch is well done.

Your point about networking is pretty important, I hadn't thought that through. After all, marketing/analytic folks could do work in other areas at other companies or just find other opportunities. Having a support network can mean the difference between getting on unemployment or finding yourself at another desk in a week.

Deleted member 26900

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
None taken. I mean, yeah, what you're saying is completely true. I don't want to act like GDC acts like a huge clique of developer only types (I mean it mostly ain't), just saying that getting a marketing or analytic job is so much lower compared to an indie dev doing a pitch. And those are barely guaranteed anything either, even if the pitch is well done.

Your point about networking is pretty important, I hadn't thought that through. After all, marketing/analytic folks could do work in other areas at other companies or just find other opportunities. Having a support network can mean the difference between getting on unemployment or finding yourself at another desk in a week.

Yeah. And even then, if you are looking for a job at GDC, it's a lot harder than it used to be. The Career Pavilion has really shrunk to almost nothing. Which is sad.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah compare the reception of Anthem vs Apex Legends and EA is probably (stupidly) thinking the only difference is they hyped one of them for years and it had a terrible reception and the other was shadow dropped with no marketing and did very well

Apex Legends may have been "shadow dropped" without a long tail, but it had an enormous marketing budget that likely required many, many people to pull off.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This obviously sucks horribly for those affected, but the sentiments in this thread that
  • Apparently no one should ever be laid off
  • no one in management is affected
are rather strange to me. If there is a major change in the direction of several departments then it almost certainly involves high-level management, even if it isn't the C-level executives.

If there are general issues with how EA treats their employees or has handled their severance, then okay, lets talk about that. But the existence of layoffs is not prima facie evidence of that. And neither is Anthem being bad, nor Battlefield whatever having too many microtransactions.
Welcome to a "people got fired" thread. There's typically a lot of those kind of sentiments. It sucks, but firings happen in different industries (and different economic systems, and non-public companies) all the time, and it usually doesn't mean that:
-Unions would have guaranteed saved the day
-Exec stock packages are good replacements for normal wages
-Every company is structured like Nintendo/Ubisoft/what have you
-The company which fired people is some hellhole to work in
-The only people who ever have to think and get challenged on their jobs are the higher ups
-Boycotting a company will be helpful to prevent further layoffs

I'm more concerned, atm, about the employees receiving COBRA, severance, and relocation, but I haven't heard anything in the story regarding those.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
EA have been a train wreck this gen. I wonder will they make the same mistake at the start of next gen and Keep a big new IP off the ps5.