• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm quite fine with that, if the initial serving is great and sells enough, I'm sure they're gonna expand once they build the IP.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Sounds good to me, a bigger map and more busy work side content doesn't make a game better. Quality not quanity all the way!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Nothing would make me happier than getting more of these types of games more frequently if they clock in around the 20-30 hr. range. I think I'm pretty much past the point in my life that I can commit 100+ hours to fully exploring worlds like those in newer open world games.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather have a smaller setting with more thought put into it than something arbitrarily larger for the sake of comparison. I'm glad they're keeping people's expectations calibrated.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. I think RPGs have benefited greatly from having massive open worlds to explore.

It's not a must by any means but their comparision to KOTOR in terms of area layout doesn't sound so hot in 2018.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great news. Hope the "the bigger the open world is, the better" fad dies.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah well New Vegas isn't what i'd call "massive"

honestly something i'm a little wary of regarding the game. i don't care about ginormous worlds but i'm skeptical obsidian can strike it out on their own with a big dynamic world (3D current gen). i think they ultimately will i'm just not spiking the football on this game yet

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting something on the scale of a prettier Alpha Protocol. Hopefully they nail the story and gameplay, if so I am in

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A smaller but deeper world is much more preferable to a good RPG than a huge but shallow one anyway. Leave the latter to companies like bethesda and ubisoft, there's no sense getting into a size war with them at the expense of good gameplay and design.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Quality over quantity when it comes to games like this. I have no issue with a game avoiding having a large sprawling open world honestly.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Thats fine. The world doesnt have to be gigantic, it just has to FEEL like it is

One of the biggest mistakes Bethsoft ever made with Oblivion was setting the game in a valley, when you can look clear across the map and see the other end of the country a mile or two away it really kills the feeling.

On the other hand Vvardenfell is a volcanic island and the mountain range in the center breaks up lines of sight. You can never look across from one end of Vvardenfell to the other, theres a huge mountain range in the way! So a game with a world 1/4th the size of Oblivion ends up feeling way way smaller.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I hope it's closer to the scope of Bioshock: larger levels that you're sort of guided through, but it's still open enough to explore.

Oct 25, 2017
New Vegas has one of my favorite open worlds in gaming, but I'm fine with going with the flow if Obsidian targets a "smaller, contained locations" type of design like in Alpha Protocol.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm really fine with this. The Bethesda-style open world really has run thin for me and the excitement of "finding new stuff" in a large open world really doesn't excite me like it once did.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Obsidian mentioning KOTOR makes me all tingly inside, there are a lot of bloat in most open world games these days

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
What I saw looked engaging enough for me. I don't need Assassin's Creed Odyssey levels massive for each open-world release. I'll happily accept any AA game.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Of course. Private Division is a Indie-AA label, so you should expect AA resources to go into this game. Expecting AAA levels of content on a AA budget would be a mistake IMO.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
That is a very positive sign. Stay within your means. Don't stretch your content too thin. This project is very, very promising.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: platform warring
If it's not on Switch then Kotaku might not review it very well.

I'm excited and the size of the world has never been a selling point to me.