• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Ballooning budgets are a real concern though. I can't imagine what a GTA or Elder Scrolls game will cost to develop on Series X / PS5 with RDR2 being $250-300 million...

BGS open world games are actually much cheaper than many others I think, due to being more systemic and less content heavy. The next GTA on the other hand probably has a good shot at being the most expensive game ever (at least #2 after Star Citizen), though they will still be profitable.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
The factors gearbox cited for lower than expected bonuses sound like things that should have been knowable. They're not saying it didn't sell as well as they thought; that would have been an unknown variable.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I was in a similar situation. I quitted that job and now I have a good one. Quit shitty jobs, people.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How much DLC is planned? If it gets 1-2 years of post release support then that doesn't sound outrageous.
The DLC teams tend to be much smaller than the main team and they reuse a ton of assets. The budget of the DLC is like twice the budget of Control (budget between 22-33million USD) to give some perspective.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in a similar situation. I quit that job and now I have a good one. Quit shitty jobs, people.
Isn't always that easy. We don't know how crowded the job market is usually, how the circumstances of the employees are
in terms of family and home etc etc. And we know that the industry is constantly reling on new young devs to fill
in the free positions by those bunred out.

What really helps is unionizing

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Gearbox is officially done. They've finally pissed off the "I'll still buy it to support the devs" people who come out of the woodwork whenever someone says the word "boycott".

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Isn't always that easy. We don't know how crowded the job market is usually, how the circumstances of the employees are
in terms of family and home etc etc. And we know that the industry is constantly reling on new young devs to fill
in the free positions by those bunred out.

What really helps is unionizing
Agreed. Unionize and quit shitty jobs if you have the chance.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Learn from Hollywood and always get bonuses based on gross rather net profits. Much harder to get shafted by dodgy accounting. It's the people in charge of who should have bonuses based on net profits, they make the decisions that ultimately cause the amount of profit to change, the average worker works just as hard either way so why should they get shafted by the end?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Gearbox is officially done. They've finally pissed off the "I'll still buy it to support the devs" people who come out of the woodwork whenever someone says the word "boycott".

As done as Rockstar or Naughty Dog are, whenever the crunch stories resurface? Truth is that most BL3 buyers will never hear of this (cause they don't follow gaming news), and from those who do hear a lot won't care, as with many other examples.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
WTH, the game is barely out, but the budget for the dlc is already 35% more expensive than the game itself? Ooof...

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
CgqMVp-W4AILlOF

Fixed - if the embed works.
EUifN23U8AAyIRH

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
As done as Rockstar or Naughty Dog are, whenever the crunch stories resurface? Truth is that most BL3 buyers will never hear of this (cause they don't follow gaming news), and from those who do hear a lot won't care, as with many other examples.

Yeah, devs getting screwed by management isnt really something consumers are expected to handle, the developers have to ask themselves if its worth working for this guy.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Well, still the DLC was budgeted to be 150% of Control buget. Which is bonkers.

I don't know what the cost of development in Finland is like, but Europe tends to be cheaper than the US. The Control team was probably also smaller (which makes the quality and graphics of that game even more impressive!), and they are planning to do 4 big DLC packs (and who knows if they are already working on a second Season pass).

Don't get me wrong, 45M for post-launch is certainly a huge number, but it doesn't seem completely unrealistic depending on their scope.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I wanted to buy the season pass, but I think I'll just stop playing the game at this point. Rather just go and play something else. Game feels like Borderlands 2.1 anyway.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
1. Don't believe promises of bonus
2. Never rely on bonus money

Shit situation all around but still strange that people were relying on that money. The money does not exist till it clears the bank account.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Wish I could go back in time and prevent my past self from buying it on PS4 at launch. Regret giving a single dime to Pitchford and the game really wasn't that great, it was just more Borderlands.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Randy gonna Randy. I hope one day he will face proper consequences for his actions, but he's proven quite adept at weaseling his way out of compromising situations over the years.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I decided to never support Gearbox after the Colonial Marines fiasco, but I do feel bad for these developers. Fuck Randy Pitchford.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's so fucking hard being a fan of this series, so fucking hard

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
This story isn't the same as those stories. That's my point. The one excuse fans use in those stories is that if you're not buying you're not supporting. But in the case of Gearbox the employees already aren't getting paid what they're worth (according to current market wages), and they're not getting the bonus sizes they were told. And based purely on body of work and reputation Gearbox isn't Rockstar nor is it Naughty Dog.

Gearbox survives this one way: Pitchford leaves and Gearbox works a better deal that gives employees more control.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Piece of shit scumbag that Pitchford. So glad I didnt buy BL3 but he needs to just go away and people shoupdnt work for this asshole