• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's becoming a near impossibility to justify a purchase of a Randy Pitchford product. Dude is one of the worst people in the industry and he's not even hiding it anymore.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when we had BL3 threads before release and there were folks saying Pitchford was a trashy crook at best? Well, turns out they were right! Not a shock if you look into his past either.

Don't support him.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was timed in a particularly insidious way, he knows the current global climate would make it difficult if not impossible for staff to find another job.

Truly villainous stuff, Handsome Jack would be proud.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The guy is scum. Still can not believe people would work or associate with Gearbox knowing of Randy's constant legal troubles.

Over and over and over and he still gets away with it.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Sue them. Sue them. Sue them. Randy is such a twat. Love that Kotaku is exposing all of this. Bless up, Schreier.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it for almost 10 years now and I'll say it again.
Fuck Randy.
How in the world did Borderlands 3 cost $140 MILLION to make?
Poor management, major decisions during development, paying employees, advertising, etc.
AAA games are expensive to make, especially here in the west.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The guy is scum. Still can not believe people would work or associate with Gearbox knowing of Randy's constant legal troubles.

Over and over and over and he still gets away with it.
Landing a job in an industry that already attracts, at a company that is pretty succesful, is really attractive for people who are starting out in this industry I bet.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Randy Pitchford is awful.

He's always been a pathological liar. He claimed to work on Vanilla Duke 3D (Broussard himself rebuked this when asked about it), he claimed he almost won the name Valve from Gabe Newell in a Poker Tournament (Gabe Newell himself said this never happened).

These are white lies for sake of boosting his own ego and image, but now he's promised his employees bonuses that are not getting paid.

Don't give this man any fucking leeway - Ever.

Fuck Randy Pitchford.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Lets be real, I can see BL3 budget being 95 million if they put in there some of the losses from previous games, growth costs, and development hell (basically doing accounting magic for it).

The DLC budget of 45 million (95+45 = 140) MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING SENSE THO.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't surprise me at all. Fuck Randy "squirting teens are magical" Pitchford. He's a creepy, greedy, sweaty little gremlin of a man.

I wonder if he'll call this article out, be it through subtweeting or @ing Jason, or something else. I know he's reacted similarly in the past when it comes to anyone shedding light on how much of a scummy fuck he is but I noticed that as Borderlands 3's release crept nearer, we heard less and less from him.

This is a perfect reminder for myself to skip out on getting the Switch ports, regardless of how much I loved 'em back in the day.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Feel horrible for the devs. I'm honestly shocked that such talented developers would want to work with someone with a decade+ of consistently bad press, both professionally and morally. Hopefully a bunch of the devs leave and go somewhere else where their promised bonuses don't vanish via magic trick.

Also, if i was promised money and had it taken away and my boss told me "Quit if you don't like it" i would have had to have been physically restrained.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This industry needs to take a long, hard look at itself if you can't make much profit off the back of 7 million copies sold. Especially in a time where a lot of the copies sold are digital so bypass the retailers cut completely.

Of course the answer is to release consoles with 4x the power, needing much larger World's to show off the SSD at the end of this year...

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I won't ever defend Pitchford but, as a general rule, never, ever commit to anything financially based on a bonus until the money is in your bank account. That is true for every single job in every single industry.

I am in no WAY DEFENDING Pitchford, no f'ing way. If anything I would never trust or believe any promise from a company run by Pitchford.

I mean, if they constantly are told about the bonuses that the teams got due to Borderlands 2, it seemed somewhat reasonable to expect a decent payout from Borderlands 3. I wish there was a little more detail on what "financially planning" meant here specifically. If it was buying a huge house or luxury car then yeah, that was foolish. But if it was timing having a kid or moving or something, that doesn't seem too crazy to do if there is a reasonable expectation of a payout.

I get what you're saying but having a kid planned around a bonus, that's not how parenting costs work, kids are expensive long term lol. But that's all beside the point. Regardless, I hope the employees that were financially planning around a bonus based on game sales, or whatever metric, had this promise in a contract. Someone's word, or a hand shake ain't enough.

Regardless, we all know Pitchford sucks, nothing has changed. The devs need to start looking for new work if possible.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This industry needs to take a long, hard look at itself if you can't make much profit off the back of 7 million copies sold. Especially in a time where a lot of copies are digital so cut out retailers cut completely.

Of course the answer is to release consoles with 4x the power, needing much larger World's to show off the SSD at the end of this year...

it's probably just shady accounting. They learned it from Hollywood where major studios swear massive movies barely break even to avoid paying residuals or bonuses.

Oct 25, 2017
Constantly amazed he still has any clout or even a job. Happy for the real devs that BL3 performed well because it's great to have your work be noticed, but not happy that it's only made Randy more legitimate in the eyes of the people who make money decisions.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
it's probably just shady accounting. They learned it from Hollywood where major studios swear massive movies barely break even to avoid paying residuals or bonuses.

The commonly used baseline for development in the US is on average 10k per employee/ month. Take a couple hundred devs for a few years, and you very quickly have huge budgets.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the thread title should be "underpaid Borderlands 3 developers are getting stiffled on promised bonuses" to get across the idea of the whole debacle better.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CgqMVp-W4AILlOF

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would hope so even if it's just in this case.

Ballooning budgets are a real concern though. I can't imagine what a GTA or Elder Scrolls game will cost to develop on Series X / PS5 with RDR2 being $250-300 million...

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Man I feel bad for the devs but never make financial decisions based off an upcoming bonus and NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER trust Randy Pitchford.

Get out of that company, your skills will be appreciated much more at better companies (which is basically 99% of them).

Fuck Randy Pitchford, scum like that should not be in any industry.