• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Trying to think of a joke
DwqC-M9WsAY9170

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
This was the expected outcome. When Tim Sweeny was telling people how Epic's money goes to the developers, I questioned how we could sure that the money was going to actual developers and not just CEOs or publishers. I specifically thought about Borderlands 3 and how, given Randy's history, that exclusivity money may not be used for the betterment of the staff.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It's probably these scummy practices Gearbox can keep in business, promising workers bonusses while Randy keeps his lavish lifestyle.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
So is anything going to be done about this? Developers out here getting worked and crunched to dust and then not get paid what was promised left and right and I never see an article about anything getting better :/

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then, in a meeting yesterday, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford told employees that Borderlands 3 bonus checks would be significantly lower than they hoped, according to three people who were present. He said the game had been more expensive than expected, the company had grown significantly larger than it had been in the past (it now operates a second studio in Quebec, Canada), and that their sales projections had been off-base.

sales projections off base?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope all their talent bails on Randy. He deserves nothing less, what a scumbag.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As shitty as this news is, why were employees financially planning around future money, on top of that future money, it coming from Pitchford? Wut.
I mean, if they constantly are told about the bonuses that the teams got due to Borderlands 2, it seemed somewhat reasonable to expect a decent payout from Borderlands 3. I wish there was a little more detail on what "financially planning" meant here specifically. If it was buying a huge house or luxury car then yeah, that was foolish. But if it was timing having a kid or moving or something, that doesn't seem too crazy to do if there is a reasonable expectation of a payout.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Were they not "welcome to quit" before this? That seemed like a particularly crappy thing to say to his developers.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if they constantly are told about the bonuses that the teams got due to Borderlands 2, it seemed somewhat reasonable to expect a decent payout from Borderlands 3. I wish there was a little more detail on what "financially planning" meant here specifically. If it was lavish spending then yeah, that was foolish. But if it was timing having a kid or moving or something, that doesn't seem too crazy to do if there is a reasonable expectation of a payout.

I won't ever defend Pitchford but, as a general rule, never, ever commit to anything financially based on a bonus until the money is in your bank account. That is true for every single job in every single industry.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trash company lead by trash dude continues to be trash. Hope Gearbox shuts down, seems like the only way Pitchford would get the message.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I won't ever defend Pitchford but, as a general rule, never, ever commit to anything financially based on a bonus until the money is in your bank account. That is true for every single job in every single industry.
That's how I approach stuff as well. I just meant that I can absolutely see the allure of making decisions based on these promises.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
yeah idk why employees would make investments with money they don't have
Found the person who probably doesn't live and/or makes plans with their own money. Credits, loans and more are basic and vital in our economy, people make plans with money they expect to receive from their employer.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Feels bad for all those who bought Borderlands 3 right now, supporting this scumbag.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I got Borderlands 3 for free with a GPU purchase I made, and I still havent even played it yet strictly because I cant stand Randy. I loved Borderlands 1 and 2, but hearing all about his scummy management practices and general asshole behavior really soured me on Borderlands and Gearbox

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The article doesn't make it clear whether the studio wasn't able to pay its employee and falsely promised something they couldn't keep, or they could but decided not to. That bonus is 2016 is definitely scammy (as expected from randy) but what about the time after the game releases?
Seemed like the former to me but maybe I woke up too early

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this just leads back into repeating that every industry is a capitalist greed monster trying to fuck over all of it's workers at every opportunity.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
According to that article Gearbox is looking into going public at the stock market.

Which ... hmm ... well ... might not work out well for Pitchford depending on how influential shareholders will get?

Also people shouldn't be surprised BL3 is a $140M game with DLC included ... probably a majority of third party big releases are around that ballpark and BL3 has a lot of fucking content and time put into it.

Feels bad for all those who bought Borderlands 3 right now, supporting this scumbag.

Nah I don't feel bad about it. Would buy Borderlands 4 day one as well. These games are good and I won't drop something I enjoy because Pitchford is an asshole. He would be like this if the game is sucessful or not.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What an absolute scumbag. Pay employees less than they're worth by saying they'll make it up in bonuses, then deny those bonuses, then tell employees to quit if they're upset. Meanwhile he has no qualms taking money from company coffers to give himself a $16 million bonus back in 2016.
How in the world did Borderlands 3 cost $140 MILLION to make?
I'd like to know that too. The article mentions delays and switching from UE3 to UE4 but that seems dubious. Especially considering they were underpaying the employees.
sales projections off base?
Wouldn't the EGS payment cover that though...
Welcome to the AAA industry.
Borderlands 2 cost between 30-35 millions, not 140.... by all accounts BL3 isn't that much more ambitious, production values wise.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, hes a known asshole/crazy person in the industry so this is not shocking, sadly

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This and every job I've ever worked at where a Bonus was a part of the deal for your salary(and every time it was always to make up for a pay cut), there's always fine print for why they won't be obligated to give you the bonus amount they mention in your contract.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dropping this kind of news on your employees especially now just shows what kind of person leads the studio - disgusting.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's incredibly awful how according to publishers telling shareholders and marketing, the game was a huge success and made tons of money but when it comes to the employees, it missed targets, was too expensive, blah blah blah to pay them accordingly. What a fucking disgrace to those who put in the work to get shafted in the end.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
What an absolute scumbag. Pay employees less than they're worth by saying they'll make it up in bonuses, then deny those bonuses, then tell employees to quit if they're upset. Meanwhile he has no qualms taking money from company coffers to give himself a $16 million bonus back in 2016.

I'd like to know that too. The article mentions delays and switching from UE3 to UE4 but that seems dubious. Especially considering they were underpaying the employees.

Wouldn't the EGS payment cover that though...

Borderlands 2 cost between 35-40 millions, not 140.... by all accounts BL3 isn't that much more ambitious, production values wise.

Jason has probably more insight but 100M (that 140 figure is with the DLC included) is pretty standard for AAA games nowadays. And yeah BL3 isn't more ambitious, but its bigger and took longer to make with engine shift in development.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 2 cost between 30-35 millions, not 140.... by all accounts BL3 isn't that much more ambitious, production values wise.

Was 30-35 milion including DLC? The figure was 95m for the base game and they are implying the staff was significantly larger. Seems pretty in-line with other AAA budgets we've heard this gen.

Oct 26, 2017

30-35 million for a 2012 game, now things have changed.

You have up to 1000 people working on AAA titles including outsourcing and massive marketing campaigns cost millions.
BL3 costing this amount is not surprising when you know that a much smaller game with less content called Shadow of The Tomb Raider costed between 100-135 million USD including marketing https://kotaku.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-cost-75-100-million-to-make-1825952948