• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
They gave review codes to reporters/outlets they liked and avoided those that have burned them too badly. All under the guise of security. It's that simple.
If this logic you came up is correct, then Game Informer wouldn't have gotten a review code.

If they wanted to focus on outlets they liked, they just would have given it to influencers who play B2 on repeat.

RichGrisham

OOTP Developments
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
Huh. I guess I'm an outlier, as reviews have determined a number of my purchases this year, pushing "maybe" purchases into "buy it now" purchases. Control and Astral Chain, for example. I don't watch streams for SP games because I don't like spoilers and the only games I find streams valuable for are MP-focused games, which BL really isn't in the traditional sense.

You and I are both outliers. I'm very much like you in that behavior. But! People like us are no longer statistically significant when looking at correlations between traditional reviews and sales figures. Modern digital tech has rendered those correlations insignificant.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not a day passes without some controversy surrounding 2K, Gearbox, and this damn game.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
It's absurd that 2K/Gearbox can't get one thing right in the lead up to this game. Everything is sketchy as hell surrounding this.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
That sounds like the reason then. The shipped version must be in a pretty bad state, hopefully the day one patch fixes it
It's either in really really bad shape, or their working on future content which is currently on their make pre-release branch..

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Well, my Peter-Tingle* has just went off and I am now in a serious holding pattern for this game, to the point where I may not pick it up until next year.

I was already on the fence about it, but kept my pre-order. Now I'm going to outright cancel it: between this and Amazon not giving me release day shipping (they are holding fast to the 17th as the ship date) I can spend my time elsewhere.

I was going to play for 2 1/2 weeks until Shadowkeep and now...I'm going to just be playing Shadowkeep.

*my name is not Peter

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Truly and honestly, I have no idea why Ars didn't get BL3 code ahead of launch, and as other folks have made clear, outlets' previous Gearbox coverage doesn't always determine whether they get to play or not. But we at Ars had to talk about SOMETHING BL3-related today, so:

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
If this logic you came up is correct, then Game Informer wouldn't have gotten a review code.

If they wanted to focus on outlets they liked, they just would have given it to influencers who play B2 on repeat.

This is ironic considering the "peacock parties" Randy has with little boys.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Also, most europeans website didn't receive any codes or any special accounts to review the game in advance so they have to wait until Friday like the rest of us. For example, in france no one reiceved anything from 2K so that is weird for sure.
It does feel like somewhat of an odd situation. We also didn't receive anything, for what that's worth (UK).

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
The only logical reason for that review mess i can think of is 2K/Gearbox are afraid of a 70-75 metascore or perfomance issues

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was told security as well for not getting one. Such is life though. Then again 2k isn't the only one to have said that in the past nor are they the only one to have done account creation on a platform for reviewers thats for sure. Most use Steam branches but accounts that are trackable(I assume thats why its done) have been done on Steam as well.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
This isn't 2013. Reviews don't matter anymore in terms of sales. Gearbox and 2K know this incredibly well.

They've successfully drummed up the hype and they know that Day 1 will be massive with thousands of streamers promoting their game, which is where the vast majority of 'on the fence' people will judge whether or not to buy it.
Disagree with this.

Source: Myself, all of my friends, most casuals I've spoken to at any length about games pay attention to review scores and base purchasing decisions, to some extent on how critics receive games.

Some exceptions I'm sure are the mega franchises that some people buy no matter what (Madden, FIFA, COD) but reviews definitely still matter.

Oct 26, 2017
What's so weird about this is that everything they've shown has been excellent and well received by fans of the franchise. They've shown hours of gameplay and not been shy at all about letting people play it.
Unless there's some weird smoke and mirrors bullshit going on here I can't fathom why they think this crap is helping them. Reviews and Metascores don't carry the same weight they used to, it's all about community word of mouth these days.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is strange indeed.

Strange that they didn't just hire PIs to harass people again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sep 12, 2018
The only explanation I can think of is they made some last minute changes to the production version of the game, those changes fucked something up, so they sent reviewers an older version of the game they knew mostly worked.

As for why they only sent out epic game accounts to select reviewers, there must be some kind of limit on the number of these accounts epic give out. It sounds like the accounts have a lot of privileges
No, just no

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
If you guys want to discuss Randy's character, please create your own thread. Otherwise, lets keep the discussion on topic with the Borderland's review situation, which is not related to Randy's lawsuit.

Okay, sure. Gearbox and Randy know this is just another Borderlands The Pre-Sequel and want to hide that fact as long as possible until fans gets their hands on it.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
So all the 'reviews' that come out will mean shit as it's not the final code. I would hope game sites don't actually review this until there is actually a final release to play, but I can't see it.