• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Overwatch 2? For real? I thought Overwatch had enough to build on for quite a few years still. What good will a sequel do?

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Overwatch 2 being in development makes a lot of sense since from what I hear they haven't really done anything substantial with the game in a while. Really cynical about this though and I don't know what they could do in an overwatch 2 that can't just be an update for the original game, unless it's just about selling more copies.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell?

Who asked for a Starcraft FPS? They have cancelled this project two times now.

Its easy Blizzard. We want a proper Diablo!

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Can you imagine a Terran boots-on-the-ground like the old cutscenes? R
Running through the trenches fighting a swarm of zerg. Hng.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of an Overwatch 2 is so ludicrously stupid. Sad to see that it's getting priority over something new. Diablo 4 still trucking on is good news though.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
People going overboard with the overwatch stuff, they already announced there are 5 more heroes in development, it isn't going anywhere any time soon.

We literally know nothing.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Really not surprised about OW2, their cycle has gotten fairly barren for a lot of things past year 2 and it feels like they've been stuck in a rut outside of the success of the League. A more story-focused sequel that may even stand by the current OW or take on the mantle would honestly be welcome for me.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wow a SC FPS actually sounds pretty kool

I'd be much more interested in that compared to Overwatch (unless Overwatch actually makes a full SP campaign sometime)

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
May be an unpopular opinion but... I'm kind of glad this got cancelled if it was truly an FPS based on StarCraft. World of Warcraft worked because it was still tactical in a sense, RPGs and RTSs are both primarily thinking games. Creating an FPS based on an RTS is... not the best idea IMO.

Savage, Natural Selection. FPS/3rd person RTSs are the best.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
First Starcraft: Ghost, now this.

giphy.gif

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
15 years from now...
Blizzard cancels Starcraft MMOFPS that was looking to to be like Destiny

Poor Starcraft franchise, was revolutionary at it's time.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
When I woke up today I didn't think I'd read the phrase Overwatch 2. But as the game I've played more over the last three years (and still play when I can, and still enjoy), I'm elated at the thought. Especially since OW1's origins were mashed together from the scrapped MMO. Really curious to see what years and year of planning to make the game they want to make in that universe can become.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What kind of has me doubting that the Overwatch would be a direct sequel is the fact that we still have 5 more heroes in the pipeline who are either Supports or Tanks (Echo likely being one of them). It would feel weird for them to announce a direct sequel at BlizzCon this year when they have so much left in the pipeline.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
15 years from now...
Blizzard cancels Starcraft MMOFPS that was looking to to be like Destiny

Poor Starcraft franchise, was revolutionary at it's time.

This already happened. Project Titan was cancelled directly because of Destiny. They salvaged some of it and turned it into Overwatch but Titan was originally supposed to be an MMO.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
So now they get to perfect their horribly bland visual style for their next Diablo instead of doing anything new ever.

Couldn't be less surprised. But like...Blizz needs to hire someone just to say "no." Everytime someone brings up a SC fps. Just save them the fuckin time...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I heard Starcraft First Person Shooter
Immediately got whooshed back to my childhood wanting to see the never released Starcraft: Ghost...
I really wanted that game...

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
"hey we were making a cool thing but we killed it lol just fyi"

This is my least favorite genre of game news.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Overwatch 2 as a concept feels weird. We only really got two years of actual content for this game in terms of events, and while they kept up the pace for characters, the number of new maps and modes we got over time gradually decreased as well.

I get that next-gen is coming and they probably want to make an Overwatch game for that kind of hardware, but at the same time, Overwatch is barely three years old. I thought the whole purpose of these Games-as-a-Service models were to keep these titles lasting as long as possible.

The whole GAAS thing is ultimately just a cover so they can get away with more. The instant it dries up, they move on, and since they're a corporation "drying up" means its profit doesn't increase notably year over year. Anthem is already being dropped in under 6 months.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
They're not developing Immortal in-house.

EDIT: I was mistaken, I guess. They claim that development is very equitable between them and NetEase. Regardless I think the project is probably nearly done. Cancelling Immortal seems too little too late. Surely a Starcraft FPS would be a bigger undertaking?

Probably, but i think all Blizzard fans would have at minimum look at that. A Battlefield like game with Starcraft universe? God, i just imagine already a level your in an area, everything is dark around you, and your getting attack by a swarm of Zergs. Guess we will forever feel that from top view. I just hope its simply cancelled for now and the product is just put on the shelf.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As someone not really interested in FPS (especially Battlefield like ones) I am somewhat okay with this. D4 is good (depending on the outcome of course - I love D3 but never got into D2, so... we'll see) and Overwatch 2 sounds interesting, especially if that may have a stronger (or only?) focus on PvE. So maybe it could be seen as a standalone game that just requires rework that won't work in the current game.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who didn't purchase a dime in Overwatch DLC, bring on Overwatch 2. I'm curious to see the direction they go. The games should live forever mindset that people have is boring and will lead to an incredibly stagnant industry. Now don't get me wrong, old games should always be playable, but new games are great to have to.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Considering what Jason said in his tweet and Jeff said about a story mode would be like making a whole new game wouldn't be surprised if OW2 was an expansion. OW2 is just how their referring to it in house, maybe a OW 2.0
A story mode sounds great, though. New fans would appreciate a refresher.

They still haven't implemented the Potg where characters interact with each other. Maybe they'll add that too.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A story mode sounds great, though. New fans would appreciate a refresher.

They still haven't implemented the Potg where characters interact with each other. Maybe they'll add that too.
so long as its coop by defult. I think overwatch should stay a mp game. I have wanted since I first played overwatch a pve mode.