• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Blizzard has canceled a StarCraft first-person shooter that had been in development for the past two years, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio. The main reason, Blizzard told staff, was to put more resources into the Diablo and Overwatch franchises.

The project, which was code-named Ares, was described to me as "like Battlefield in the StarCraft universe" by one of those people, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to talk about the project

kotaku.com

Sources: Blizzard Cancels StarCraft First-Person Shooter To Focus On Diablo 4 And Overwatch 2

Blizzard has canceled a StarCraft first-person shooter that had been in development for the past two years, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio. The main reason, Blizzard told staff, was to put more resources into the Diablo and Overwatch franchises.

They killed Ghost, again.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Link

The project, which was code-named Ares, was described to me as "like Battlefield in the StarCraft universe" by one of those people, all of whom spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to talk about the project. The team had built prototypes in which the player, as a Terran marine, could gun down Zerg aliens, and there were plans to experiment with playable Zerg as well. Although one person who saw builds of the game last year told me that it seemed like development progress was slow, a second said it came as "a massive shock" when Blizzard canceled it a couple of weeks ago. A third person said it was "looking quite good."

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I see this as a positive if it means Blizzard can put more weight behind their most important stuff as opposed to the cycle Overwatch has been on and the Diablo 4 mess.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
>overwatch 2
jeez, are they really having the balls to dispose the game so easilly?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real news here is Overwatch 2. It certainly explains why the development team hasn't really increased their content output since launch.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Overwatch 2 announcement and Diablo 4 announcement at Blizzcon this year? Juicyyyy

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
That PvE element in Overwatch 2 sounds cool. Kinda felt like they were gonna do something like that after the time-limited event PvE stuff they have now.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Wait, why are they making OW 2. Isn't the whole point of OW style games is that they can be constantly updated

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard... We all understand why Bungie seems to be so happy to be gone from Activision

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
FrightenedBlissfulArmyworm-size_restricted.gif

Brenal

Nov 5, 2017
Wasnt Starcraft Ghosts also a Starcraft shooter that was canceled ?, seems like the gods dont want a starcraft shooter to happen

Jun 12, 2018
"like Battlefield in the StarCraft universe"

That could have been amazing. Oh well, project cancellations are common, I'm sure the game just wasn't good enough.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Big scale StarCraft is doomed I guess. It will always be about tiny units that they look awesome in your imagination and in cinematics only.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
"Battlefield in the StarCraft universe" doesn't excite me nearly as much as Diablo IV or Overwatch 2, so I'm alright with this. But it's definitely time to pour one out for StarCraft, that franchise is pretty much dormant at this point.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I would have prefered Starcraft shooter and diablo 4 being still alive :(

I dont hate overwatch, but making a sequel defeats the purpose of games like this, there's a reason league of legends has been going strong for so many years