• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the general elitism among gamers. I've stated before myself, if From decides to add an easy mode to Sekiro, that's fine. If they add them to any of their future games, that is also fine. However, to me, if From doesn't add as easy mode, I'm fine with that and I honestly prefer that. Given that From is intent on making their games this way, I don't see how it's a problem for them. Now, general elitism among gamers is a thing yes, but that's a broad subject.
Since this is the internet, it's obvious that things are getting lost in translation so if we're not understanding each other, well then idk what else to say.

I mean, okay, sure, but I'm talking about that broad subject, and how people who would otherwise retain this attitude in situations where the designer didn't take an explicit position on easy modes like to use the designers' sentiments on that. Fact is, people don't just believe this because of creative freedom (some do, sure, but I have a feeling many do not).

When it comes to the product they ship their desires are just that. Else this conversation wouldn't be happening. And most here aren't doing anything but asking if they are allowed to make the game they want and if players are allowed to support it and think it's fine as is.

Literally no one has proposed forcing FROM to make the game the way they want, so I think the automatic answer to whether FROM is allowed to not have an easy mode is a resounding "yes."

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because there's demand for an easy mode, because people would want to play it but get turned off by the difficulty. Like how hard is it to grasp that not everyone is on the same level but can still hold interest in a game. A game can be appealing for many different reasons, maybe the majority on this forum like the games because of difficulty but there are also many that like them for the mood, the world building. Why should people be denied to experience these worlds in a for them enjoyable manner?

Like I could spent evenings discussing Halo with my dad because of difficulty scaling. I would start on heroic and he on easy but we would still be able to talk about our experiences with the game.
Difficulty is part and parcel of the game. By that virtue, they really don't want to the play that game, they want to play a non-existent game catered specifically to them.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
When I ask for a hard mode in Monster Hunter World people are screaming ''Game is already hard enough! Stop being elitist!'' all over the place.

Oh the irony. I guess difficulty setting is only needed when the game is too hard for you. Otherwise you people couldn't give a shit about options.

Oct 25, 2017
Difficulty is part and parcel of the game. By that virtue, they really don't want to the play that game, they want to play a non-existent game catered specifically to them.

That's quite silly. We have seen content changes in games because of fan outcry, and no one would say "they don't really want to play that game."

When I ask for a hard mode in Monster Hunter World people are screaming ''Elitist! Game is already hard to me!'' all over the place.

Oh the irony.

I guess difficulty setting is only needed when the game is too hard for you. Otherwise you people couldn't give a shit about options.

That's a silly response from them. Where did you post that?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Hey from. Ad an easy mode the next time and let it be the "normal experience". For normal and hard mode make something available from the beginning, that is on the same Level as ng++ and ng++++

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
If it was the creators intent to not provide an easier option then why can you fight bosses with multiple people in Dark Souls? Prior FROM games absolutely have ways to make them easier, having a dedicated easy mode would be fine.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Because there's demand for an easy mode, because people would want to play it but get turned off by the difficulty.

And From has refused to make that product. So where do we go from here?

Like how hard is it to grasp that not everyone is on the same level but can still hold interest in a game.

At this point ny honest answer to that is "Not as hard as understanding that just because a demand exists doesn't mean one needs to cater to it over what they prefer to create."

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite silly. We have seen content changes in games because of fan outcry, and no one would say "they don't really want to play that game."
Just so we're on the same page, we're talking about Hidetaka Miyazaki games right? Show me that Miyazaki game that got an easy mode due to "fan outcry"? And, assuming that you're talking about Sekiro, why do you think Sekiro would be any different?

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
If it was the creators intent to not provide an easier option then why can you fight bosses with multiple people in Dark Souls? Prior FROM games absolutely have ways to make them easier, having a dedicated easy mode would be fine.

Apparently not. As they've shot down the idea again with stated intent. One can argue they should but we all have to deal with the fact that they didn't.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and this is one of the reasons why even From fans are split on the change in Sekiro not being able to summon people, or do certain things they could in souls and bloodborne. Though I guess this is a comment that's better suited to a different thread

Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're on the same page, we're talking about Hidetaka Miyazaki games right? Show me that Miyazaki game that got an easy mode due to "fan outcry"? And, assuming that you're talking about Sekiro, why do you think Sekiro would be any different?

I'm talking about content changes in general. We do not regard people who want content in a game changed as them not wanting to play the game in question, not generally anyway, so why would that be true here?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
but if you look at it that way sekiro is already on the easiest mode :P
There goes my self confidence... probably died more times already in sekiro, compared to Dks1,3 and Borne combined (didnt finis 2 and cant remember how often I died in Demons) and still did not beat the final boss :(

Edit: Miisunderstood you. Still feel like a total noob now, haha.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about content changes in general. We do not regard people who want content in a game changed as them not wanting to play the game in question, not generally anyway, so why would that be true here?
Because difficulty is central to the design ethos of Hidetaka Miyazaki's games. This is not just a matter of content, it is one of the game's foundations. Asking for difficulty to be removed is practically asking for a different game.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
I honestly think they botched it. The reason fighting bosses with multiple people is so trivially easy is because the AI is too stupid to handle it and the boss is still restricted to the same moveset they use in single player. They do scale up the boss HP and scale down your partner's stats in the newer games, so they clearly wanted to account for it, but making the AI smart enough to deal with n players is extremely difficult, design- and implementation-wise. I didn't get the impression it's intentionally this easy. Nobody's perfect :)

There are also seemingly unintentional ways to cheese bosses on your own in both the Souls games and Sekiro. That doesn't mean they weren't meant to be hard (though there are also cheese strats that seem intentional or at least intentionally kept in.)

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
I'm not sure this is a good reference because the Sigma+ rereleases added the ironically-named "Hero Mode" and they were still fine. I agree that Ninja Gaiden 3 went on and simplified the design too much, even in the default mode, but that's because they compromised the design at the base. The challenging Ninja Gaidens hold up despite the presence of Hero Mode.

Sigma+ has its own set of problems aside from technical ones and being stuck on the vita ;0.
I have not played the hero mode, so I can't comment on it but the additional equip able items they added definitely break the game. In particular the Azure Dragon Helm which has the effect of "Decrease Defence. Greatly Increase Attack." Since they are equipable along with the normal accessories you get things like Azure Dragon Helm + Armlet of the Sun which boost your attacks way higher than anything the original game was designed or balanced for.

In Dark Souls it would be like letting you wear a 3rd ring on top of your 2 rings with the atk boost of Red Tearstone without having to be at low health.
latest

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Because difficulty is central to the design ethos of Hidetaka Miyazaki's games.

And, again, people have asked for content changes that were fairly substantial. Mass Effect 3's ending. Assassin's Creed Odyssey's DLC. The notion of "never wanted to play the games" didn't come up, so here it seems kind of gatekeepy, that anyone who would want this content change doesn't really want to play these games.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

Depends, someone saying DMC5 should be a tactical strategy game is definitely someone I would say doesn't want to play DMC5. If the request is against the nature of the game or one of its core tenets, yes, it might suggest you want a different game.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So if i'm not misremembering there was a specific debate ITT about whether FromSoft's games should include accessibility options for someone with physical disabilities, right? I don't remember who was posting about it, but I gotta say as ironic as it sounds with the hero in Sekiro having a prothetic arm and all, I just don't see how it's possible to design THAT game around the needs of players who can only input with one hand, or with feet, or have limited mobility with their hands, missing fingers, etc. It clusterfucks my understanding of logic that someone with any of that going on or the more hardcore physical conditions could get gud at their games, or would even want to knowing the gameplay would be compromised until it felt like something else entirely.

That said I'm already regretting what I just typed as I realize it's probably a matter of time before the "Just finished Sekiro using only my feet" and "i use a real prosthetic arm when playing Sekiro. watch me destroy the chained ogre on my second try" youtube clips start dropping, making me looks like a complete easy mode idjiot.

Anyone with serious physical disabilities has gone through FAR more difficult shit than pressing buttons on a controller fast, so with the skills and patience, someone like that could in theory and maybe practice get gud at a Fromsoft game. Really gud. And be the best example of a real life Sekiro among everyone playing it. Adding an easy mode could detract from that.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And, again, people have asked for content changes that were fairly substantial. Mass Effect 3's ending. Assassin's Creed Odyssey's DLC. The notion of "never wanted to play the games" didn't come up, so here it seems kind of gatekeepy, that anyone who would want this content change doesn't really want to play these games.
Who's gatekeeping who? the game exists as it is. The decision to play or not play the game is one's own.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends, someone saying DMC5 should be a tactical strategy game is definitely someone I would say doesn't want to play DMC5. If the request is against the nature of the game or one of its core tenets, yes, it might suggest you want a different game.

I think we can argue that a genre change is a step up from a difficulty mode.

Who's gatekeeping who? the game exists as it is. The decision to play or not play the game is one's own.

People who ask for an easy mode do not necessarily avoid playing the game. The gatekeeping comes off as creating a category for "real Sekiro/Souls/Bloodborne fans."

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

I think we can also argue a major gameplay change is a step up from an ending cutscene.

People who ask for an easy mode do not necessarily avoid playing the game. The gatekeeping comes off as creating a category for "real Sekiro/Souls/Bloodborne fans."

Do you think we're somehow still at a point where the request hasn't been heard? I ask because the fans didn't carve a place with no easy modes. The games did.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Arguing against options like this is anti-consumer. You're biting off your own nose to spite your face.

An easy mode only makes the game more accessible, meaning more players can enjoy it, meaning more sales and thus better chance of a sequel.

All the arguments I've read in this thread to the contrary are some hilarious mental gymnastics.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
Sigma+ has its own set of problems aside from technical ones and being stuck on the vita ;0.
I have not played the hero mode, so I can't comment on it but the additional equip able items they added definitely break the game. In particular the Azure Dragon Helm which has the effect of "Decrease Defence. Greatly Increase Attack." Since they are equipable along with the normal accessories you get things like Azure Dragon Helm + Armlet of the Sun which boost your attacks way higher than anything the original game was designed or balanced for.
I didn't even know about these. Yeah, they do seem fucked up (as is Hero Mode, I tried it once to see it.)

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why? No one is stopping them from playing the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can also argue a major gameplay change is a step up from an ending cutscene.

I don't nearly agree with that. Whether the parry window is increased or stats are modified is a smaller splash than changing the sexuality of a character in a role-playing game or, ultimately, having one's choices not matter to the resolution of the story in a role-playing game's trilogy.

Why? No one is stopping them from playing the game.

Gatekeeping is a term that can refer to behaviors that seek to gatekeep. ie, telling someone that they are not a real gamer unless they want to have sex with Sonic, that's gatekeeping.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arguing against options like this is anti-consumer. You're biting off your own nose to spite your face.

An easy mode only makes the game more accessible, meaning more players can enjoy it, meaning more sales and thus better chance of a sequel.

All the arguments I've read in this thread to the contrary are some hilarious mental gymnastics.
How about From Software's own statements? Does them not wanting to add an easy mode make them anti consumer?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Some people on here: Easy mode?! Fuck that. We should all respect the developers vision and honor that. Play something else!

Same people on here: Developers adding monetized cosmetic items?! Fuck their vision. Adding BR modes? Fuck their vision too!

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I don't nearly agree with that. Whether the parry window is increased or stats are modified is a smaller splash than changing the sexuality of a character in a role-playing game or, ultimately, having one's choices not matter to the resolution of the story in a role-playing game's trilogy.

And I'd argue such a stance belittles what you're asking for. Your argument here is that these tweaks represent a difference in playability enough to constitute condemning others for saying it's fine without.

Yeah, "Have more health" "Healing items heal you more" and "You start with more Gourds" really sounds like a totally different game
It might as well be a Visual Novel at this point

And yet they don't. So I'm back to wondering: Knowing they intentionally don't do so and have repeated this stance, why is it that the current players get to be the targets for a decision they have no stake in while another party is actually excluding would be players?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
But, no one's telling anyone that they're not a real gamer unless they play Sekiro/Soulsborne?

The sentiment that they don't really want to play Sekiro/Soulsborne is what's gatekeeping. It creates the mentality of "people who actually want to play the game and people who don't," and I think such a sentiment would generally be dismissed even by people who don't agree with the easy mode. It's just kind of a silly sentiment that seems to have popped up as an argument against easy modes.

And I'd argue such a stance belittles what you're asking for. Your argument here is that these tweaks represent a difference in playability enough to constitute condemning others for saying it's fine without.

I've never claimed that it's okay to condemn others for being fine with not having an easy mode.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

And difficulty is something incredibly subjective, so why not allow people to scale it. What would be an "easy" mode for some people here can still be challenging for others. When I play a racing game I turn off all assists, that's the first thing I do. But I'm glad that people have the option to have them on.

And on the other part of my post. Like the From games have such a unique atmosphere and way they build the world that it deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible. A game doesn't get build by just gameplay designers.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if i'm not misremembering there was a specific debate ITT about whether FromSoft's games should include accessibility options for someone with physical disabilities, right? I don't remember who was posting about it, but I gotta say as ironic as it sounds with the hero in Sekiro having a prothetic arm and all, I just don't see how it's possible to design THAT game around the needs of players who can only input with one hand, or with feet, or have limited mobility with their hands, missing fingers, etc. It clusterfucks my understanding of logic that someone with any of that going on or the more hardcore physical conditions could get gud at their games, or would even want to knowing the gameplay would be compromised until it felt like something else entirely.

That said I'm already regretting what I just typed as I realize it's probably a matter of time before the "Just finished Sekiro using only my feet" and "i use a real prosthetic arm when playing Sekiro. watch me destroy the chained ogre on my second try" youtube clips start dropping, making me looks like a complete easy mode idjiot.

Anyone with serious physical disabilities has gone through FAR more difficult shit than pressing buttons on a controller fast, so with the skills and patience, someone like that could in theory and maybe practice get gud at a Fromsoft game. Really gud. And be the best example of a real life Sekiro among everyone playing it. Adding an easy mode could detract from that.
I know you're not talking about any specific person, but Halfcoordinated addresses this point.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
Hey guys, I suck at parries. FromSoftware owes it to me to remove parrying from the game when I switch to easy mode. Creative vision? Design? What is that stuff luls.

At this point, it won't be long before somebody manages to call challenging games anti-consumer. Just wait for it.
Like clockwork:

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
so here it seems kind of gatekeepy
how is it gatekeeping when its just 1 game on a sea of games, a game to apparently dont meet your criteria to like it?? are you sure this is really a game you want to play cause the game appeals to you on how it is, what it presents and what it ask from you as a player.

of is this all a case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) cause this is the latest games on a series of critically acclaimed titles from a well know developer and you feel that you are mandated to experience the game cause other wise you will be left with a blank??

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sentiment that they don't really want to play Sekiro/Soulsborne is what's gatekeeping. It creates the mentality of "people who actually want to play the game and people who don't," and I think such a sentiment would generally be dismissed even by people who don't agree with the easy mode. It's just kind of a silly sentiment that seems to have popped up as an argument against easy modes.
Well, a game called Sekiro that has an easy mode doesn't exist, so what exactly do they want to play?

And difficulty is something incredibly subjective, so why not allow people to scale it. What would be an "easy" mode for some people here can still be challenging for others. When I play a racing game I turn off all assists, that's the first thing I do. But I'm glad that people have the option to have them on.

And on the other part of my post. Like the From games have such a unique atmosphere and way they build the world that it deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible. A game doesn't get build by just gameplay designers.
Yes, but the game director still gets the final say. And the game director says:
https://twinfinite.net/2018/06/from...hy-souls-games-dont-have-difficulty-settings/

'"We don't want to include a difficulty selection because we want to bring everyone to the same level of discussion and the same level of enjoyment," Miyazaki said. "So we want everyone … to first face that challenge and to overcome it in some way that suits them as a player."

The creator continued: "We want everyone to feel that sense of accomplishment. We want everyone to feel elated and to join that discussion on the same level. We feel if there's different difficulties, that's going to segment and fragment the user base. People will have different experiences based on that [differing difficulty level]. This is something we take to heart when we design games. It's been the same way for previous titles and it's very much the same with Sekiro."'

He doesn't want his worlds to be just experience. He wants his worlds to be experienced in a specific way. And that would be his prerogative as the creator of that world.

Oct 25, 2017
how is it gatekeeping when its just 1 game on a sea of games, a game to apparently dont meet your criteria to like it?? are you sure this is really a game you want to play cause the game appeals to you on how it is, what it presents and what it ask from you as a player.

of is this all a case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) cause this is the latest games on a series of critically acclaimed titles from a well know developer and you feel that you are mandated to experience the game cause other wise you will be left with a blank??

I don't actually have any interest in Sekiro in particular, and my views on this discussion are more general. I honestly don't care if Sekiro has an easy mode or not, but I find segments of the discussion of it kind of blech, as I discuss in my original post where I talk about an old acquaintance who would sooner see Ghosts'N Goblins die than become mainstream.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I've never claimed that it's okay to condemn others for being fine with not having an easy mode.

Fair enough, I've responded to too many driveby post dismissing the lack of an easy mode as gatekeeping as if it were a player initiated problem rather than a developer choice.

I don't actually have any interest in Sekiro in particular, and my views on this discussion are more general. I honestly don't care if Sekiro has an easy mode or not, but I find segments of the discussion of it kind of blech, as I discuss in my original post where I talk about an old acquaintance who would sooner see Ghosts'N Goblins die than become mainstream.

But soulsborne as a name at the very least is mainstream. Boat has sailed on that.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, a game called Sekiro does has an easy mode doesn't exist, so what exactly do they want to play?

Sekiro, but with changes. It's still Sekiro.

Fair enough, I've responded to too many driveby post dismissing the lack of an easy mode as gatekeeping as if it were a player initiated problem rather than a developer choice.

It's often a lot more complicated than that. This is, after all, not just a FROM issue, but rather a gatekeeping issue. Not everyone is like this, but the segment of people who wish to see games not be made accessible because they want the game to be theirs. This is not reflective of people who think that Sekiro being difficult is a core tenant of the game's design, mind.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
ok, lets me it general, why would anyone complain about "gatekeeping" if people cant play a game cause they dont like what the game presents and asks from em???
what drives people to "have to" experience something they wont like, and cause of that they feel to demand it to be changed for something more akin to their taste??

Sekiro, but with changes. It's still Sekiro.
no, as FROM games are intent to be played at certain level after trial and error. an easier Sekiro, will no longer be THE Sekiro devs intented.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, "Have more health" "Healing items heal you more" and "You start with more Gourds" really sounds like a totally different game
It might as well be a Visual Novel at this point
Except that these things are supposed to happen with real progression in the game, so it literally wouldn't be the same game if something like easy mode started them off with more gourds and all that. It also wouldn't make any sense at all for the way the story plays out, so it quite literally is asking for a different game.

Oct 25, 2017
ok, lets me it general, why would anyone complain about "gatekeeping" if people cant play a game cause they dont like what the game presents and asks from em???
what drives people to "have to" experience something they wont like, and cause of that they feel to demand it to be changed for something more akin to their taste??

They may like aspects of the game, they may think that the challenge is fun but find the degree of challenge it aims for to be too much for them. They're not aiming to play the flavor of the month - not necessarily anyway - they may just very well want to play it because it seems neat.

no, as FROM games are intent to be played at certain level after trial and error. an easier Sekiro, will no longer be THE Sekiro devs intented.

The moment a game is changed in such a way that the developers didn't initially intend for, that is the case. We do not regard them as a "different game." Smash Ultimate, by the end of it all, is going to be a different game than when it started due to balance patches. Some will be to fix unintentional things, but others will be to fix something they intended for the game. But that doesn't make it a different game.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They may like aspects of the game, they may think that the challenge is fun but find the degree of challenge it aims for to be too much for them. They're not aiming to play the flavor of the month - not necessarily anyway - they may just very well want to play it because it seems neat.
Okay, if they find it so neat, then why don't they play it anyway?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..but his last few games have had easier modes.
Well people in this thread have said summoning and grinding make bosses trivial, i'd call that an easier way of getting through the game.
And he included it, so it must be part of his vision. Maybe he liked the idea of people overcoming something together just as much as facing the bosses on their own.

Every single game since Demons Souls has had easier ways to tackle the game.

It was still called go sorcerer in Demons and play ranged. The amount of people that went Royalty because it was easier.

A class that even came with bonus equipment to boost the MP so you could fire spells for longer.

It's almost as if that was an intentional design decision to let people find Demons Souls becoming a bit easier at the start if they were struggling.

At this point it's really not the fault of the dev if gamers have been that conditioned to think something needs to have a drop down menu with "easy" selectable instead of in game content essentially being the "easy mode".