• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Some people enjoy playing games they suck at. The big question is are you taking 5 hours to get past what almost anyone else would beat in 2 hours, or are you giving up after 1 hour because you get too frustrated from repeated failure and just assume everyone else must have beat the section in an hour or else they'd be too frustrated to continue too.

That's what makes me uncomfortable about putting it in terms of physical ability instead of pure subjective opinion about what you want out of games. Not that I'm necessarily against more options to satisfy a larger crowd, I just would like to be on the same page about what the problem is here.
The problem is that I dont have the luxury to spend so much time on video games. I love how Bloodborne looks and plays but I cant justify putting so many hours into it to master it. I'm getting tired everyday and I just wanna relax and play video games. A video game attracts me visually and gameplay wise but it's putting a barrier because I cant git gud, give me a break, at the end of the day it's a video game not a school exam.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what do we want an easy mode in Sekiro to do? Decrease the amount of damage enemy attacks deal to you? What's this do though? Eventually you're gonna have to learn how to play the game. There's certain bosses that you genuinely wouldn't be capable of defeating without knowing how to deflect well, like big Voldo.
I dunno, this wasn't an issue with metal gear rising and it had a boss that required parrying and an easy mode as well.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Honestly this talk about "creative vision" and "ruining the experience" is absolute nonsense, why do you think companies hire UX researchers/designers and variations thereof? they don't sit twiddling around with their thumbs all day.

There is zero, none, nada downsides to inclusive design.

If someone with an impairment can't enjoy a game because it lacks accessibility features then that is absolutely the failing of the company and not the person who now can't play because of a condition they have.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this talk about "creative vision" and "ruining the experience" is absolute nonsense, why do you think companies hire UX researchers/designers and variations thereof? they don't sit twiddling around with their thumbs all day.

If someone with an impairment can't enjoy a game because it lacks accessibility features then that is absolutely the failing of the company and not the person who now can't play because of a condition they have.
And if the company doesn't care and still makes games without an easy mode, then what?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day the developers have a vision. It's their game, let them do their thing.

Accessibility options (difficulty setting being one of them) don't take the game developers vision away, and in fact they enable the design intent to be experienced by more players.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If someone with an impairment can't enjoy a game because it lacks lacks accessibility features then that is absolutely the failing of the company and not the person who now can't play because of a condition they have.

So every condition in a doctors "manual" has to be accounted for or a developer is responsible for it?

I don't know if there is some levels of performative wokeness going on in here, but we're reaching stages that don't actually respect disabled people but belittle them. Or almost use them as if an attempt to win an internet argument can be founded based on claiming anyone who challenges you, even the developer themselves, are the ones disrespecting disabilities.

People with disabilities can also enjoy challenges in games. Is that a shocking statement in this topic? They're ordinary people too. Not a commodity. We already have a video of someone with a disability in this topic showing enjoyment playing Sekiro.

From Software games, for as much as they are challenging, do a reasonable amount to help introduce a player to the world, guide them with messages on the ground (dev messages, not player) and then the whole summoning mechanic of the Souls series was done to help people. Even offline you could summon NPCs.

Sekiro bucked that trend going SP only, but as far as I'm aware you can still get NPC help. Nothing From are doing mechanically on top of their world is offensive to anyone with a disability.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
So every condition in a doctors "manual" has to be accounted for or a developer is responsible for it?
I don't think people realistically expect that every disability can be accounted for. For example, someone who is blind will probably have a hard time playing a lot of games and I am not sure how much you could do about that (someone more experienced with this might be able to provide some insight).

But it's not about having a perfect solution, just being more inclusive.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not shouting on the internet about how people need to get good or anything..

But one consideration I haven't heard discussed (but I don't follow this conversation really so forgive me if it's been talked about), is that often, almost always, people take the path of least resistance.
That's why they can't stop staring at their phones all day instead of doing things they once liked, like playing guitar or drawing or whatever.

So if you have a game that is known to be challenging, that rewards persistence, I can't say it certainly, but I have a feeling that in the speed of our modern lives and surrounded by easy paths in supersaturated media environments, a lot of people that might have stuck it out in a mode that would actually be a good fit for them, that they'd actually like, are just going to go with the easiest thing presented to them just to get through it. (Remember that offtopic thread asking what speed you listen to podcasts at?)

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, I'm just suggesting it might be possible that there might be some deeper positive experiences in that will be missed, replaced by a passive disconnected experience where you may not feel like you even got your time's worth.

This is coming from someone who barely plays games these days because of work, family, other things. Honestly the idea of sekiro is a bit scary for me. I am a big fan of the cooperative multiplayer aspect of the other souls games, and the things I've heard about it being even more difficult, even more of a one hit kill game than bloodborne, has me stressed at the idea of getting into it.. So it might cross the line for me, I'm not an expert gamer. I'd say I'm middle of the road skill level. But I can tell you that before Demon's Souls came out, when everything was a handholding thing where difficulty even when it did exist, felt like bullshit, and then Demon's Souls appeared and reawakened my love for gaming. I was seriously ready to step away from it, I was bored out of my mind with rollercoaster/linear experiences that felt designed by committee. Demon's Souls just let you play. It was a puzzle you felt like only you could solve, and the kind of reward from that experience was extremely fulfilling.

After discovering these souls games, I'm sure I strongly prefer this approach. The game is designed in one way, then there are options actually designed into the game, that can make it easier or harder for you and you are free to make those choices. (It sounds like perhaps Sekiro steps away from that and is just fucking hard though?)

But also, I agree with the idea that creators make something the way they want, and then people will attract to those products in a way that makes sense. If the creator wants to put in easy modes, the game is probably designed in a way where that makes sense. If the creators have something else in mind, they may be trying to attract a certain demographic. The argument "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is one of the worst things I've heard on the internet, and yet, here I don't think there is some major issue and there's some validity. If you like it, but it's way too hard or obtuse in some way for you to enjoy... well I guess it's fair to criticize of course, but I want to say that in the case of Demons, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, there are mechanisms that make the game easier, and much of the most difficult portions are gated into optional areas. I can't speak for Sekiro.

I also fully expect the game to be patched to be easier. Dark Souls was a lot more challenging in the first game, pre-patch and after many patches, the game is a lot more accessible in its generosity with handing out souls and beneficial items. I assume the same thing will happen with Sekiro, to some extent, especially since it's apparently missing the difficulty adjusting mechanisms from the other games.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I don't see why it has to be somebody's fault.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people realistically expect that every disability can be accounted for. For example, someone who is blind will probably have a hard time playing a lot of games and I am not sure how much you could do about that (someone more experienced with this might be able to provide some insight).

And most games on the market are already doing that, so what's the problem?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
but we're reaching stages that don't actually respect disabled people but belittle them.

I think you are misunderstanding people's points here. No one is saying easy mode is the 'disabled option' or whatever. It's just nice to have other options so others can enjoy the game that couldn't with the current difficulty whether disabled or not.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
And if the company doesn't care and still makes games without an easy mode, then what?

Then they fail at creating an inclusive gameplay experience.

Of course the developer is responsible for who their game is accessible for, they're the ones designing it, they're the ones who should preferably have UX researchers/designers working on creating a more inclusive gameplay experience.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Including an easy mode is more like making your book available in a font size that doesn't require perfect 20/20 or a magnifying glass.

Actually it would be closer to rewording a book to use less difficult words e.g. "Jhonny had a delicious and completely satisfying meal" to "Jhonny like yum yum".

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Accessibility options (difficulty setting being one of them) don't take the game developers vision away, and in fact they enable the design intent to be experienced by more players.

I totally agree with you, and i'm pretty sure they know that, but i guess they couldn't really care less about an easy mode. Furthermore, i'm fine with that, it's their vision.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I said it in the other thread but I don't think every reason for not being able to play Sekiro is because of a physical disability. Which is why I sympathize with the "Accessibility and Difficulty aren't one in the same" slant because it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly the reason you're dying all the time is.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
....I've only gotten to skim this thread, but what I have read has been pretty depressing. For anyone who is casually tossing around 'gamer entitlement' when discussing more difficulty options/accessibility
The problem is that many people are conflating "I'm bad/lazy" with "I have a disability preventing me from playing this game" and while it's possible for these to two aspects of the discussion to effect and inform each other, they should be separate. Demanding that developers add an easy mode just so you can fit a game into your busy lifestyle is actually entitlement.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

excellent example of responding to 'absolute nonsense' with even more 'absolute nonsense' :) ...

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think it would be interesting if some people could go into a bit more detail about what aspect of the game (whether it be Sekiro or another FromSoft title, or an example from another game if they feel like sharing it) they feel is too punishing/exclusionary to them and how they feel it could be improved to be more inclusive. Would widening the parry window be enough? Is there something else that is bothering you?

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree with you, and i'm pretty sure they know that, but i guess they couldn't really care less about an easy mode. Furthermore, i'm fine with that, it's their vision.

Actually you would be surprised that many developers do not know how to make their games more accessible.

If you speak to a game dev and explain the difficulties that some gamers face, they understand. They don't want to gatekeep people from experiencing their game.

They often just don't know how to approach accessibility. That's where people like David Tiserand come in, he works at ubisoft as an ambassador for accessibility. He explains the needs to teams and helps educate developers on how to make more accessible games.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Actually it would be closer to rewording a book to use less difficult words e.g. "Jhonny had a delicious and completely satisfying meal" to "Jhonny like yum yum".
I think that depends entirely on how the easy mode alleviates the difficulty. If the game is fully rebalanced so enemies are slower and far less aggressive, OK, I can agree with your point. But if enemy behavior remains the same, and players simply take less damage, have more resurrections, or are given access to items that ease their experience in some way, it's harder to argue that the easy mode turned the game into a babyish parody of itself.

There are ways to increase accessibility without ruining the intensity of difficult games. FromSoft has more than enough talent under their roof to figure it out.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro has very hard challenges but most bosses have extremely close check points.

People that want an easy mode in a From game don't understand what makes them great.

The industry is already flooded with hand-holding games. Go play those.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I made this a few weeks ago for a similar thread:

A lot of people like the Souls games but ultimately find that the difficulty shuts them out. Characterizing those people as weirdos who insist on playing games that hold zero appeal to them seems misguided at best.

That was the pic I was looking for and it sums up some of these post so fucking well it is unbelievable.

I mean yeah I get it that to many people the difficulty is the whole game and all that jazz but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there who love everything else and just wish they had the fucking option, and that is the key an option, to lower the difficulty.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Hmmm... I think I remember hearing about this. CC or voice to text for in game chat.

I was thinking about environmental sounds but yeah, this would be nice as well.

Now I can see how well this works.

Yeah, I've only dabbled with Apex Legends for a few hours myself so I can't tell you how important sound is in terms of footsteps, gunfire etc.

But I think this is a real tough one to tackle though. If you can enable closed captions for footsteps and such you'll definitely be at an advantage in games like CSGO or Rainbow Six, and if it's available to everybody most people would probably enable it without hesitation and that would change the whole meta. But these aren't very good examples perhaps since these games are heavily designed around sound, stealth, situational awareness and communication from the get go.

And I can't really speak for where CC would suit best or what game needs it more than others, so I'm curious, what games would you like to see closed captions in?

Also, how could these issues be handled in singleplayer games? Take The Witness for example where you'll have to rely on your hearing as well as ability to separate the noise from the important bird chirps, and of course figuring out the rules.

It's difficult creating a fun and challenging puzzle for varying degrees of hearing capability, so what could be done here? Should there be a new puzzle in place, or just an option to skip it?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And we are largely being very inclusive, from how games are introduced with mechanics being explained to how Sony/MS and Nintendo have OS-wide accessibility options that are ever-increasing in scope.

Then they fail at creating an inclusive gameplay experience.

Of course the developer is responsible for who their game is accessible for, they're the ones designing it, they're the ones who should preferably have UX researchers/designers working on creating a more inclusive gameplay experience.

An inclusive experience still might not be for everyone if whatever condition they have causes struggles with fast-paced action. But who is the arbitrator of that? Why can't people with disabilities at least try?

I really wonder how many posters in this topic have some sort of disability and how many are able-bodied people thinking they're being progressive heavily implying because something is challenging for them, how on earth could a less able-bodied person do it?

The range of disabilities out there is vast, people with things wrong with their hands primarily, but even motor functions or eyes/brain can be the judge of what they can play and what they might find fun in a challenge.

I think you are misunderstanding people's points here. No one is saying easy mode is the 'disabled option' or whatever. It's just nice to have other options so others can enjoy the game that couldn't with the current difficulty whether disabled or not.

What some posters are coming close to saying is the mere existence of a linear difficulty curve game is somehow out of reach of less-abled people they are using in their arguments. Which I will somewhat challenge for the reasons I said above.

From Software do not go out of their way to make their games less inclusive simply because there is a linear difficulty curve. The other aspects that make up the game from UI, to input to in-game guidance, is all at least on par with other titles. Maybe they can improve in some places, but some of the framing in this topic is ironically getting quite ableist itself. As in, using disabled people to imply a blanket range of them just can't play FS games and they (the dev) are responsible. Sweeping generalizations and alarmist rhetoric caped in progressive language.

A lot of people with disabilities enjoy a challenge because it helps them feel... in-line with others who are able-bodied. Helps them feel like what they are struggling with isn't going to hold them back. Don't forget about those people too when stating one of the few linear difficulty games/series in a vast gaming market is somehow responsible for not being inclusive enough.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I think that depends entirely on how the easy mode alleviates the difficulty. If the game is fully rebalanced so enemies are slower and far less aggressive, OK, I can agree with your point. But if enemy behavior remains the same, and players simply take less damage, have more resurrections, or are given access to items that ease their experience in some way, it's harder to argue that the easy mode turned the game into a babyish parody of itself.

There are ways to increase accessibility without ruining the intensity of difficult games. FromSoft has more than enough talent under their roof to figure it out.
I don't think I agree with that, especially since there are still people who say Kingdom Hearts II is just the "Mindlessly mash X button and occasionally Triangle to win game" when critical mode balances the game to be one of the best action games around.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Not against easy mode, but I'm down with whatever From wants to do. It's their game.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I think it would be interesting if some people could go into a bit more detail about what aspect of the game (whether it be Sekiro or another from game, or an example from another game if they feel like sharing it) they feel is too punishing/exclusionary to them and how they feel it could be improved to be more inclusive. Would widening the parry window be enough? Is there something else that is bothering you?
Any game that involves quick reactions, be it blocking, parrying, dodging, QTE, or whatever, presents a barrier me. An option to widen reaction windows would help me experience such games "as the creators intended". Without such an option, I inevitably resort to button-mashing, power-levelling, and exploits to get me through.

If people actually cared about the dev's artistic vision, they'd surely support options to let others experience it, right?

Mar 29, 2018
At the end of the day, the creators get to decide this and From has decided that difficulty settings are incongruous with their design philosophy and how they want their games experienced.
"This game isn't what I want it to be" =/= "This game is bad"

People need to learn that if a creator decides they don't want to make a game catered to them that is a-ok. Go play something else.
While I don't disagree and love the Sekisoulsborne games, they lose nothing by adding an easy mode, but they gain a TON of sales for doing it. The games have a wild reputation at this point. In business terms it's foolish imo. The amount of people who turn away in sheer frustration is vast

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
And we are largely being very inclusive, from how games are introduced with mechanics being explained to how Sony/MS and Nintendo have OS-wide accessibility options that are ever-increasing in scope.

An inclusive experience still might not be for everyone if whatever condition they have causes struggles with fast-paced action. But who is the arbitrator of that? Why can't people with disabilities at least try?

I really wonder how many posters in this topic have some sort of disability and how many are able-bodied people thinking they're being progressive heavily implying because something is challenging for them, how on earth could a less able-bodied person do it?

The range of disabilities out there is vast, people with things wrong with their hands primarily, but even motor functions or eyes/brain can be the judge of what they can play and what they might find fun in a challenge.

What some posters are coming close to saying is the mere existence of a linear difficulty curve game is somehow out of reach of less-abled people they are using in their arguments. Which I will somewhat challenge for the reasons I said above.

From Software do not go out of their way to make their games less inclusive simply because there is a linear difficulty curve. The other aspects that make up the game from UI, to input to in-game guidance, is all at least on par with other titles. Maybe they can improve in some places, but some of the framing in this topic is ironically getting quite ableist itself. As in, using disabled people to imply a blanket range of them just can't play FS games and they (the dev) are responsible. Sweeping generalizations and alarmist rhetoric caped in progressive language.

A lot of people with disabilities enjoy a challenge because it helps them feel... in-line with others who are able-bodied. Helps them feel like what they are struggling with isn't going to hold them back. Don't forget about those people too when stating one of the few linear difficulty games/series in a vast gaming market is somehow responsible for not being inclusive enough.

Word.

And if the intent in design is NOT to be fully experienced by every person?

Word.

Not against easy mode, but I'm down with whatever From wants to do. It's their game.

Word.

I'm posting on easy mode.

Deleted member 2550

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made this a few weeks ago for a similar thread:

http:///8Vkd.png

A lot of people like the Souls games but ultimately find that the difficulty shuts them out. Characterizing those people as weirdos who insist on playing games that hold zero appeal to them seems misguided at best.
Saying a game isn't for someone isn't characterizing them as a weirdo. That graphic in this context feels pretty disingenuous when then one thing you dislike the most is one of the biggest things From's latest games are known for. That's like saying I love everything about a racing sim but hate the way the game focuses on realistic physics. It's just the one thing I dislike you know?

*edit*
I should add that saying a game isn't for someone -shouldn't- be characterizing them as a weirdo. Of course some people will actually do that though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A lot of people with disabilities enjoy a challenge because it helps them feel... in-line with others. Helps them feel like what they are struggling with isn't going to hold them back. Don't forget about those people too when stating one of the few linear difficulty games/series in a vast gaming market is somehow responsible for not being inclusive enough.

Yes and there would still be the standard mode for those people. No one is saying "if you are disabled you have to play the easy mode". I think you really are missing the point.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate difficulty modes for many types of games. I'm never clear what the actual vision is. Having only one mode really lends a feeling of authenticity to a game, as the obstacles and challenges ought to be something to overcome, and if you have the ability to simply tune those down using god powers (aka difficulty modes) it makes everything matter less. There's also a greater sense of community with only one difficulty mode, if it's a hard game, since we all share the same experience when playing it. When I tell people that I beat an end game boss in Sekiro, everyone knows exactly what I mean and many of them know what I went through because they're playing it too. If all of our Sekiro talk had to be qualified with whether we're playing it on easy mode or not it'd diminish that dimension to the game.

I understand not everyone feels the way I do, but if me or someone who feels as I do makes a game we're free to put that vision into that game. Not everything has to be for everyone.

A game that's designed to be difficult with no way to tone it down is just as valid as one that decides to have multiple modes. It's not like there's a scarcity of modern games that are easy to play through so I don't understand the huge outrage that From faces for sticking to their vision.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
And if the intent in design is NOT to be fully experienced by every person?

I've never seen that in a GDD. Those are your words.

Game developers identify pillars of their games design, maybe one of those is that the game features very strict challenges, but never would it say that the game isn't for people with disabilities.

It's perfectly understandable to say that your game isn't targeting people who don't enjoy being challenged. However, gamers with disabilities don't fit into that category, and there are ways to help all of them experience the design intent.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, I've only dabbled with Apex Legends for a few hours myself so I can't tell you how important sound is in terms of footsteps, gunfire etc.

But I think this is a real tough one to tackle though. If you can enable closed captions for footsteps and such you'll definitely be at an advantage in games like CSGO or Rainbow Six, and if it's available to everybody most people would probably enable it without hesitation and that would change the whole meta. But these aren't very good examples perhaps since these games are heavily designed around sound, stealth, situational awareness and communication from the get go.

And I can't really speak for where CC would suit best or what game needs it more than others, so I'm curious, what games would you like to see closed captions in?

Also, how could these issues be handled in singleplayer games? Take The Witness for example where you'll have to rely on your hearing as well as ability to separate the noise from the important bird chirps.

It's difficult creating a fun and challenging puzzle for varying levels of hearing, so what could be done here? Should there be a new puzzle in place, or just an option to skip it?

I posted this in another thread, for background on this and just in general;

Edit: Just for background info, I suffer from Tinnitus, a mild form of hyperacusis and cogential hearing loss (moderate, at around 50DB) in the frequencies of human speech. Yes, I can listen to heavy metal, but only in the car as white noise/road noise helps lessen the impact of tinnitus and only at speaking volume. I know I used to rock the heavy metal avatar and post in the OT, so now everyone knows how I can do it, low volume (speaking volume), white noise/road noise background, no headphones ever and limited listening in a quiet environment. I have good days and bad days as well. How this effects gaming is I sometimes cannot hear audio cues at a comfortable volume, many sound effects are uncomfortable at any volume (pain/increase in tinnitus), I usually cannot understand voice chat, I miss many words without subtitles. Usually this results in it being more comfortable for me to play games at no volume and usually I play games silently with something like tv show on in the background to lessen the tinnitus. Just an idea of the kind of life adjustments, ear plugs during showers due to sound of running water, earplugs on public transportation, only use certain power tools, many public places like bars, theaters, stadiums, clubs, concert venues, festivals are no go zones without some accommodation, hell, even a poorly maintained HVAC systems have had me losing it in a quiet place. Its probably worst with other people, as once people talk over each other it gets too loud in a close space.

My quality of life is good and earplugs are a god send, so I'm fine. But just some background. Yes I can read lips a bit (usually understand people best when they are facing me) and guess meaning pretty well, although that fails sometimes.

Besides the easy answer of "all of them", any game where you might not have a visual indication of something and something happened outside of your field of view. This elminates most racing, 2d, top down, fighting, adventure, point and click games and many other games. Horror, FPS and first person prespective games would benefit the most. Sometimes on a good day I'll turn off the music on a game like that and just try to play with sound if there isn't a lot of gunfire.

As to puzzles like the witness, most of the time I've come across an audio puzzle I have the luxury of being able to turn on the sound or there are visual cues. All else fails, YT. Option to skip it would be nice, Spiderman for the PS4 did this well.

Edit: I forgot. Put in rumble feedback in place of sound!! That can help.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It has never ruined a game, yet it shouldn't be some bizarre mandate. If a developer doesn't want a difficulty option, they don't need to put one in.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What's 'absolute nonsense' about what I said?

Do you really think game developers don't have these discussions?

what you said:

If someone with an impairment can't enjoy a game because it lacks accessibility features then that is absolutely the failing of the company and not the person who now can't play because of a condition they have...

this is, imo, absolute nonsense. you're demanding a level of 'universal accessibility' perfection that is completely unrealistic, & describing any effort that comes up short a 'failure'? sorry, but that's just completely ludicrous :) ...

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Any game that involves quick reactions, be it blocking, parrying, dodging, QTE, or whatever, presents a barrier me. An option to widen reaction windows would help me experience such games "as the creators intended". Without such an option, I inevitably resort to button-mashing, power-levelling, and exploits to get me through.

If people actually cared about the dev's artistic vision, they'd surely support options to let others experience it, right?

As a follow-up question: are there any games you've found that give you an option to tweak the reaction windows? It feels like it would be a broadly helpful thing but doesn't seem to be particularly common, or at least I haven't heard of any.