• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Zelda quips?

Link was kinda of a sarcastic jerk sometimes lol. I can only imagine Zelda as a sweetheart honestly.
Find Zelda's diary in the Castle, she's pretty far from the sweetheart empty shell of Spirit Tracks.
She got personality, I can totally see her losing patience at some shitty NPC asking her to do menial things lol.

Becks'

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Canada
This is a material for Ninjas. I hope they don't action against them but they probably will.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Modders do what Nintendont.

Free and better than the Champions Ballad.

It's the same damn game with a different model.

I also don't assume you have a Wii U and the Wii U version of the game and the homebrew ability to play the mod when it comes out so I'd suspend my excitement over it being "free".

It's a cool mod but it annoys me when people take their low-standards for mods and fangames and try to put it on the same level as the original.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's easy with asset switching, grunts etc aren't hard to do (maybe some are in the game to take and replace Link's sound files with), I meant to replace the current Zelda's dialogue in the game. Zelda can't speak to herself for story exposition, as you change Link to Zelda you have to change the existing Zelda (and all other characters referencing her and how they reference Link too) to something else. That can be trickier than just changing Link's model and sounds.
Helps that most if not all of the "modern cutscenes" are realtime compared to the flashbacks which are all video files

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's also a mod that let's Link enter the Gerudo town with any armor set, they should just have that permanently active with the mod, would be a bit weird to get thrown out because you're a dude while playing as Zelda lol.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Since i learned about this, does this mean the mini quest for Gerudo clothes will be phased out? or will they made up a bullshit excuse so Zelda has to get gerudo clothes anyway?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I was saying. Quite the opposite, I said there's a ton of ways to justify a physically active Zelda in response to you saying she's distinct from Link. She can be just as active as Link, there's no narrative reason that would prevent a future game from attempting that.
I'm no saying that she can't or shouldn't be physically active. But giving her the Master Sword and having her do everything Link does doesn't do justice to her character and doesn't make any effort to express her capabilities in a unique way. Give her her light arrows, some new magic powers, and put her in a new situation that isn't just fighting Ganon again. This mod, as elaborate as it is, doesn't do anything of the sort. At it's core, it's just another "Zelda in Link's place" mod that's already been done in ROM hacks of earlier games.

Give Zelda something more. Introduce new enemies, new gameplay concepts that haven't been explored by the series before. Do something creative. Don't just settle for Zelda cosplaying Link.

I mean, I agree that Zelda would play differently than Link but this is just a mod. You can only expect them to do so much. They aren't gonna give her a completely unique moveset.
I understand that, and I've said as much in an earlier response. I know that this is a mod and there are limitations to what they can do. But I've seen "Playable Zelda" mods before and though this is technically impressive as a mod, it doesn't excite me at all conceptually.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Since i learned about this, does this mean the mini quest for Gerudo clothes will be phased out? or will they made up a bullshit excuse so Zelda has to get gerudo clothes anyway?

They won't believe the Princess of Hyrule would come all the way to Gerudo Town alone, so you have to dress like a gerudo as a disguise.

Or something.

EDIT: Actually, everyone believing that Zelda died in the Calamity would be an interesting story beat.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only gripe I have though is why doesn't the Sheikah armor literally just make her look like Sheik? like, I imagine it would be way easier to modify the existing armor pieces for Link, which are already halfway there, than to make the set from the ground up into what they're planning in the artwork, which does also look really cool, but I'd rather have Sheik.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'm not arguing that this could or should be done with Breath of the Wild. There are other avenues.

I get your point, but not really.

1) Making games is hard. Especially if you don't have millions of dollars.

2) A signifcant Zelda fan game would definitely get hit with a C&D. Mods are shaky grounds but Nintendo does not tolerate whole fan games at all.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I get your point, but not really.

1) Making games is hard. Especially if you don't have millions of dollars.

2) A signifcant Zelda fan game would definitely get hit with a C&D. Mods are shaky grounds but Nintendo does not tolerate whole fan games at all.
Sure. But if you've got a team of twenty modding a game, you might as well just go for broke and make something original, even if it is a smaller scale. You run the risk of getting C&Ded either way.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. But if you've got a team of twenty modding a game, you might as well just go for broke and make something original, even if it is a smaller scale. You run the risk of getting C&Ded either way.
They could have a hundred people working on a mod and they still wouldn't be able to accomplish what you're requesting. We're not talking about GTAV or Skyrim here in terms of flexibility, or anywhere near close to it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They could have a hundred people working on a mod and they still wouldn't be able to accomplish what you're requesting. We're not talking about GTAV or Skyrim here in terms of flexibility, or anywhere near close to it.
You keep assuming I'm talking about something on the scale and scope of Breath of the Wild. I am not.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly i'd just be happy with a mod that deletes all of Zelda's voice clips from the main game

10/10 mod, better version of Zelda, better version of the game

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'm no saying that she can't or shouldn't be physically active. But giving her the Master Sword and having her do everything Link does doesn't do justice to her character and doesn't make any effort to express her capabilities in a unique way. Give her her light arrows, some new magic powers, and put her in a new situation that isn't just fighting Ganon again. This mod, as elaborate as it is, doesn't do anything of the sort. At it's core, it's just another "Zelda in Link's place" mod that's already been done in ROM hacks of earlier games.

Give Zelda something more. Introduce new enemies, new gameplay concepts that haven't been explored by the series before. Do something creative. Don't just settle for Zelda cosplaying Link.

I understand that, and I've said as much in an earlier response. I know that this is a mod and there are limitations to what they can do. But I've seen "Playable Zelda" mods before and though this is technically impressive as a mod, it doesn't excite me at all conceptually.

Conceptually playable Zelda would be easy to differentiate. Link's key items are The Master Sword, Hylian Sheild and Boomerang. Then he has his abilities Bombs Ă— 2, Freeze Time, Ice, Magnesis

Traditionally Zelda's key weapons have been Daggers, and a bow. So keep those (Daggers act as a sword and shield by having a parry function and regular DPS) Zelda's Bow replaces the master sword/bombs by being her main DPS weapon while Bombs are replaced by Arrows that make the bow always useable with a slight cooldown. Finally the Boomerang can be replaced by the rope swing (whip?) As it can be used to quickly target multiple points within range.

Now its about remixing Runes. Removing them would break the game but here goes. Stasis is replaced by superspeed and the ability to transfer momentum. Ice is a permanent platform under her feet that can even turn lava to stone and magnesis works the same because changing it would break the game.

Essentially you have made Zelda a stealth focus'd glass canon ranger (compared to Link as a tank) with a Stealth/CAG based moveset where she is overpowered by requires a higher skill ceiling to use properly.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My dude you're asking for full blown development of a new game in a thread about the mod of an existing one...
Yeah, sure. And that's because I find all this effort to stick Zelda in Link's place just really disappointing and lackluster. I'd rather see the team do something original with a playable Zelda that isn't just piggybacking Breath of the Wild or another existing game. Yes, that would take a lot of time and effort. Yes, its chances of being C&Ded would be greater. But I would personally love such an effort more than yet another character swap, regardless of the amount of effort put into the swap.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

bruh

its just a model swap mod

they aren't redeveloping the game

And seeing as BotW isn't a PC game, this is essentially a hack. The people doing this are probably in it for the experience just as much as the publicity.

If you aren't blown away by a model swap then that's fine, i mean you really shouldn't be, it's the most common form of modding that exists, but saying it's stupid to pursue just because for some reason you believe they have infinite time, money, and access to the source code in order to do what your asking is a bit unreasonable.

Zelda got dat thang in this game
i see u nintendo

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bruh

its just a model swap mod

they aren't redeveloping the game

And seeing as BotW isn't a PC game, this is essentially a hack. The people doing this are probably in it for the experience just as much as the publicity.

If you aren't blown away by a model swap then that's fine, i mean you really shouldn't be, it's the most common form of modding that exists, but saying it's stupid to pursue just because for some reason you believe they have infinite time, money, and access to the source code in order to do what your asking is a bit unreasonable.
with cemu it is a pc game :P mods got really crazy after Cemu happened.
5a2fa936aea5f.jpg

toy-story-1025686-1280x0.jpg

900x.jpg

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, sure. And that's because I find all this effort to stick Zelda in Link's place just really disappointing and lackluster. I'd rather see the team do something original with a playable Zelda that isn't just piggybacking Breath of the Wild or another existing game. Yes, that would take a lot of time and effort. Yes, its chances of being C&Ded would be greater. But I would personally love such an effort more than yet another character swap, regardless of the amount of effort put into the swap.
I'm not sure you know what the difference between modding and full blown game development is on top of expecting too much from a mod team.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Conceptually playable Zelda would be easy to differentiate. Link's key items are The Master Sword, Hylian Sheild and Boomerang. Then he has his abilities Bombs Ă— 2, Freeze Time, Ice, Magnesis

Traditionally Zelda's key weapons have been Daggers, and a bow. So keep those (Daggers act as a sword and shield by having a parry function and regular DPS) Zelda's Bow replaces the master sword/bombs by being her main DPS weapon while Bombs are replaced by Arrows that make the bow always useable with a slight cooldown. Finally the Boomerang can be replaced by the rope swing (whip?) As it can be used to quickly target multiple points within range.

Now its about remixing Runes. Removing them would break the game but here goes. Stasis is replaced by superspeed and the ability to transfer momentum. Ice is a permanent platform under her feet that can even turn lava to stone and magnesis works the same because changing it would break the game.

Essentially you have made Zelda a stealth focus'd glass canon ranger (compared to Link as a tank) with a Stealth/CAG based moveset where she is overpowered by requires a higher skill ceiling to use properly.
That sounds pretty cool, actually!

I never said it was stupid. Just disappointing, if anything. I know they're a team of twenty that don't have access to infinite resources. I still wish that they put their effort to something more original. And no, I'm not talking specifically about a more elaborate Breath of the Wild mod.

Obviously, this mod is where their time and interest is focused, and I don't begrudge them that. But I can also be disappointed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure you know what the difference between modding and full blown game development is on top of expecting too much from a mod team.
I do understand the difference.

I know that it takes a lot more effort to make a game from the ground up than it does to swap out a character model. I also realize that this team, despite its size, may not have the right combined skill set to develop a game from the ground up. But I have also seen a lot of truly impressive mods, and while I would never expect this team to do a total conversion-level mod, when I hear "twenty people are modding Breath of the Wild to make Zelda playable" and it's literally just an elaborate model swap, I'm really just disappointed. PC modders have been screwing around swapping out Link with other characters for the better part of a year now. I'm pretty sure other people had already done a Zelda model swap before, too; just not on this scale. Breath of the Wild model swaps in general just don't impress me at this point.

Maybe I do expect too much from this team, and that's probably unfair, but that's just the way it is.