• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Good ol' capitalism.

Can't solve the problem? Try to convince people it's rational. Can't do that? Threaten them with cheaper markets. Can't do that? World Wars are a still a thing right?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Activision in a nutshell:

"We're making record profits, so we're laying everyone off"

"Destiny blew away sales records, but didn't meet our expectations so we let Bungie go"

I feel bad for From Software getting into business with them.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think we can all agree is great is seeing the support of the wider game community to get people in the process asap.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean "lowered the hiring bar?"
The company needed to rapidly expand a team and did not necessarily hold new FTE hires for that team to the same high standard as the company had historically followed, in order to ramp up quickly.

At some point during this expansion, they realized internally ramping up this team with FTEs they had lowered the bar for would not work, and decided to enter into an engagement with a vendor that could help them with work that didn't need to be fulfilled by FTEs.

By then a bunch of FTEs that would not usually fulfill the usual rigor for the roles they were hired for were on the team, and a couple of years later still could not meet the company's performance standards for FTEs, so there was a mass layoff and these people were let go. It was about 25 people, 50% of the team, and ~10% of the company overall.

It was a unique situation that did not have much in common with this one.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Good ol' capitalism.

Can't solve the problem? Try to convince people it's rational. Can't do that? Threaten them with cheaper markets. Can't do that? World Wars are a still a thing right?

someone in this very thread was scaremongering about iran completely unprompted. the brain worms capitalism give people are so powerful

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Activision in a nutshell:

"We're making record profits, so we're laying everyone off"

"Destiny blew away sales records, but didn't meet our expectations so we let Bungie go"

I feel bad for From Software getting into business with them.

I'm sure it's a one off negotiated contract. I don't think anyone at From is actually employed by Activision. If anything its just them getting some huge distribution support from one of the biggest publishers in the world. I think they'll be fine.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I think we can all agree is great is seeing the support of the wider game community to get people in the process asap.

Only if you happen to be in a cut big enough the company has to legally report it so press gets out.

Sadly smaller layoffs happen all the time and don't get the same treatment. You have to then rely on your network to help.

I've been a part of both types.
Neither is great but It feels better to not be alone and make fast contacts even though those are not garunteed.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It kinda has to be that way. Sometimes people react violently when laid off. If given notice others will slack off or sabotage during their remaining time. My wife's old company laid off the IT department on a Monday (outsourced it) but had them finish out their week. Needless to say, the company's internal server and website ended up going down for several days after they left.

I believe unemployment benefits are intended to cover living expenses during the transition period.

That is pennies when trying to live in such a high cost of living area like CA. All the states are horrible at the cutoff maximum benefits. It's sometimes worst than minimum wage.

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017
That is pennies when trying to live in such a high cost of living area like CA. All the states are horrible at the cutoff maximum benefits. It's sometimes worst than minimum wage.

Unemployment is horrible. When I went through it in Seattle it covered maybe 1/3rd of my expenses.

In CA the cost of living is higher and the unemployment is lower.

Its also based on what you make so if you're not bringing in decent cash in the first place you won't even get max benefits and the benefits in no way are large enough relative to the amount of money made to earn them.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
0m9k96H.jpg

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
someone in this very thread was scaremongering about iran completely unprompted. the brain worms capitalism give people are so powerful
I'm still bewildered by people who defend capitalism. It's a system that has failed spectacularly multiple times within the past 100 years (and continues to do so), across multiple countries on multiple continents, leading to millions upon millions of deaths and untold amounts of suffering.

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still bewildered by people who defend capitalism. It's a system that has failed spectacularly multiple times within the past 100 years (and continues to do so), across multiple countries on multiple continents, leading to millions upon millions of deaths and untold amounts of suffering.

I'm pretty sure other systems have had similar failures.

Maybe the problem isn't the systems.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just the state of politics in the US that makes this a bigger deal (on this site) then when any other company has layoffs, or has had layoffs in the past? Verizon buying Yahoo laid off like 2000+ employees, and just recently something like 10,400 Verizon employees took a separation package as part of a voluntary layoff.
You know, you might want to use a video game publisher for your whataboutisms.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
In California, any layoff of 50 or more people requires 60 days advance notice, and the company can be forced to pay up to 60 days wages for the people who weren't given notice. Which means, at least in California, the people laid off likely got two months' of severance pay and health benefits. So there is that. On the other hand, last time I was looking for a job in a widely needed role, it still took me four months to go through the whole process. And I know that not everyone who was laid off from Activision-Blizzard were living in California (Federal requirements aren't as strict, they only kick in if 33% of the company is laid off, or 500 people from one site).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the Japanese working culture that advocates people sleeping under their desks? Or the Japanese working culture that anonymizes and changes phone numbers and emails of their employees so they are interchangeable? Or is it the Japanese working culture that makes crunch "fun" by calling it mario time? Or is it the Japanese working culture that makes you repeatedly by the same game for full price? or the one that never lowers their prices for games and gouges the consumer repeatedly for old games? I'm just confused on which culture we are talking about....

Iwata was a great in the industry, but lets not make him or his business practices out to be "holy"
You know, you had a decent thing going here before you inexplicably decided that full price rereleases and not putting games on sale deserve to be in the same list as glorifying excessive crunch.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they're not wrong. The issue of greed and expliotation are older than revenue projections.

yes, and even marx acknowledged that capitalism was a step forward from feudalism. so what?

people will use literally any deflection they can to avoid examining the problems with the system, I think we're close to the full deck in this thread between "that's just how the system works" "old systems were bad too" and "well [other system] scary". i haven't even professed an affinity for any specific other system in capitalism's stead and people are battening down the hatches like they're in danger of being dragged to the gulag, lol. faith in this clearly very bad system runs deep

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You know, you had a decent thing going here before you inexplicably decided that full price rereleases and not putting games on sale deserve to be in the same list as glorifying excessive crunch.

Fair....I did not mean to equate them, only to point out a problem.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
yes, and even marx acknowledged that capitalism was a step forward from feudalism. so what?

people will use literally any deflection they can to avoid examining the problems with the system, I think we're close to the full deck in this thread between "that's just how the system works" "old systems were bad too" and "well [other system] scary". i haven't even professed an affinity for any specific other system in capitalism's stead and people are battening down the hatches like they're in danger of being dragged to the gulag, lol. faith in this clearly very bad system runs deep

I'm not deflecting, but, thank you for clarifying. As to faith in the system, its the current way that people get food on their plate (at least the visible way, even though the US captalist economy is very much a mixed economy in reality), so yes, people go with the gut. Again, a lot of successful people are on Era, with the means for free time on a forum/playing games and buying expensive gaming equipment.

Not really the thread for explaining the issue with economies of scale and capital. Though the historical ones should be obvious.

Ok. Have you read my other posts or just the last page while firing off?

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017
The basic point I was mostly trying to make is the systems themselves are all fallible. Nearly any system is fallible. When you have the collective power of the elite looking to exploit any system it will fail.

On a side note ITT a lot of folks who probably manage savings the size of their wallets thinking they know how to manage the wealth of 7b companies and sovereign nations.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

The power to sell junk as it were is very powerful, even China has had to accede to that idea.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Ok. Have you read my other posts or just the last page while firing off?
I don't normally make people's post histories my concern (I'd feel like some sort of weird inquisitor if I went and looked at a person's post history every time I replied to someone). Is there something you want me to be concerned about that wasn't mentioned?

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I think back on Iwata taking the brunt of Nintendo's failings on his own shoulders, and I remember for a fleeting moment, i remember how nice it was to believe in respecting your employees. Kotick and every member of Activision's upper management is a fucking scumbag.

Eat the rich.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

Today I got laid-off from Blizzard. Because of immigration laws, I have 60 days to get a job or I will get deported. I was the Product Manager for their College OW Esports program, worked for Loot Crate and have an MBA from USC. PLS RT

Have an American college degree, work at very profitable company, lose job, get deported in two months.

thisisfine.jpg

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, its why I included HOTS and was unspecific to esports. Were WoW/OW/HS/Diablo devs laid off? Their statement said they were re-allocating resources to those
I mean developers throughout the Activision Blizzard, not just those teams. Including full development studios. Remember, this has nothing to do with Blizzard as a game studio, it's Activision-Blizzard that was laying folks off.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this layoff is it won't be as big of a cut to actual development teams; it will be your interns, your customer service etc. Those 800 cut people won't see many land on their feet, most will end up shifting to other sectors.
Yeah, many of them are probably going to leave the industry

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, Overwatch is spiralling down? What's happening to it? Is the player count getting that low?
I wouldn't be surprised if the playerbase has shrunk, but in terms of viewership and mindshare, it's way down. Other games like Fortnite, PubG, etc overtook the shooter genre. CS:GO is an oddity in how well it stays/