• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Not many comedies here so I'll recommend a couple, these two were both my favorite comedies of their respective years

Twenty
Twenty-%25E1%2584%2589%25E1%2585%25B3%25E1%2584%2586%25E1%2585%25AE%25E1%2586%25AF-Poster.jpg

Midnight Runners
Midnight-Runners.jpg

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
The Handmaiden was on of the best movies I saw last year, definitely recommend that.

Memories of Murder, The Host, Oldboy and My Sassy Girl were also nice.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I Saw the Devil is brutal. Really nasty stuff that I didn't feel like I needed to watch.

I do like Oldboy tho

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The Housemaid, made back in 1960, is a trippy, surreal, crazy, really tense and oddly darkly comic thriller, probably the best Korean movie I've ever seen.

WCP_Film_Housemaid_original.jpg

Also has one of the best endings ever. You can find it in the second volume of the restored world cinema classics collection that Martin Scorsese recently produced.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Montage (Uhm Jung Hwa won a Grand Bell for this!)
IMG-20171018-_WA0001.jpg

A Bittersweet Life
DHS-_A_Bittersweet_Life_2005_alternate_dvd_cover_art_foreign.jpg

The Handmaiden
the-handmaiden-south-korean-movie-poster.jpg

Han Gong Ju. I legit cried, that is all.
01.jpg

Silenced (if you want to see if someone is a sociopath, show this movie. If they don't get emotional...run)
2011111701486_0.jpg

Midnight FM. It's not a particularly good movie but for some reason I love it a lot.
fm_5.jpg

Bestseller, not particularly phenomenal but Uhm Jung Hwa once again delivers
bestseller-movie-poster-2010-1020734983.jpg

The Housemaid (remake of the 1960 film)
z8lcpr5.jpg

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
A Bittersweet Life, Thirst, Train to Busan are some good ass Korean flicks.
Truth. I have seen thousands of films in my life and there's something I can't quite put into words about this film. It's fairly straightforward but everything about the film's execution is beyond perfection. It's one of my favorite films up there with City of God and Pan's Labyrinth.

Everyone go watch Bittersweet Life!

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Lots of great recommendations. One I quit like that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is Musa: The Warior

I think it introduced me to Korean cinema.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically all of the Bong Joon-ho movies are great, though I prefer his Korean-language only stuff to the more international films he's made. I also liked Train to Busan and The Age of Shadows a lot. I'm excited to try more but I haven't seen many yet!

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough animation in this thread, though I'm glad to see Seoul Station and King of Pigs have already been mentioned.

All of the listed are excellent Korean animated fims.

My Beautiful Girl, Mari
p87822_d_v8_aa.jpg

King of Pigs
61q2wAdmW-L._SY445_.jpg

Oseam
220px-Oseam_poster.jpg

Seoul Station
(prequel to Train to Busan)
Seoul_Station_%28film%29_poster.jpeg

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not enough animation in this thread, though I'm glad to see Seoul Station and King of Pigs have already been mentioned.

All of the listed are excellent Korean animated fims.

My Beautiful Girl, Mari
p87822_d_v8_aa.jpg

King of Pigs
61q2wAdmW-L._SY445_.jpg

Oseam
220px-Oseam_poster.jpg

Seoul Station
(prequel to Train to Busan)
Seoul_Station_%28film%29_poster.jpeg

You just brought back memories of Aachi and Ssipak.
pXdRZRS.jpg

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing like Miracle in Cell 7 for a good cry.

And Love, Forecast for a nice romantic comedy.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
+1 for The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Also watched The Handmaiden recently, which was also pretty great

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Bumping for some more recs

Nowhere to Hide
nowhere.jpg

It looks like an action movie, but it's most of all a movie about movement than true action. Everything moves in this movie, sometimes for no reason other than the act of moving. The director goes through great lengths to depict this and it makes for a really fascinating art movie that pushes the boundaries of kinetic stage-play. It has some cinematographic effects that are still incredible, and while you might not be satisfied with the plot, I think literally everything else more than makes up for it. Honestly a great movie to recommend if you want to step out of your comfort zone.

1987 When the Day Comes
242bb9dd929e4ed5456c0dc63aeff0a9.jpg

I've seen this movie twice, and it made me cry even more the second time. The director of the cult movie Save the Green Planet comes back with a mainstream movie, but is still isn't afraid to experiment. Based on the real events of the June struggle, the movie takes the viewpoint of several people during the lead-up of Korea's burgeoning democracy. It's a relay race of several people passing the baton in order to uncover the story behind the killing of a student by the anti-communist brigade that has ignited the whole country as a result. It's an ensemble cast that manages to really shines even with the limited screen-time. Everything could have failed horribly in this movie considering how it switches viewpoint in order to take a snapshot of Korean people in this era, but it worked really well. The music is also

I honestly think that we're getting into an era where "mainstream" movies are actually getting super interesting and well done, it's like the rebirth of the "Shiri" era. Mainstream movies that aren't afraid to take risks to do things you wouldn't see elsewhere. They play into their strengths. I'm a big softie, but this movie emotionally ruined me, snot on my face and all. I actually watched it during the Paris Film Festival and pretty much everyone was crying. Hard recommend.

Midnight Runners
thumb.jpg

Less daring, but very fun, Midnight Runners manages to really work as a comedy movie that takes code from the golden age of Korean cinema with genre whiplash. The history of two awkward guys who joins the police academy and ends up embroiled into a human trafficking gang. The chemistry between the two leads is very good. A very good movie to spend the evening.

The Truth Beneath

The%2BTruth%2BBeneath.jpg

I actually didn't expect much of that movie...but I was never so happy to be wrong about my initial assessment. It's a powerful movie with such a strong lead in the name of Son Ye-Jin. She's a tremendous actress in every way as she tries to uncover the mystery behind her daughter's sudden disappeareance. It's a great thriller as well as it is a drama. But it does it with the kind of gravitas I honestly haven't seen in a long time. The way she is developed throughout the movie really highlights the kind of movies we should have when we give the opportunity to tell stories that are not centered around men. I dare say she is the best actress in Korea right now, that's how impressive she was. Also a much stronger movie than Sympathy for Lady Vengeance even. Must watch. Also RIP Kim Joo-hyuk, his car accident was a tragedy and I will forever be sad that such an excellent actor is no longer of this world. His role in this movie was stellar too.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
After Parasite's win, I thought some people would want to check out some recommendations. South Korean cinema is awesome and it has been a pleasure checking them out religiously :)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Good bump, forgot about this thread. I recently got a 4k Apple TV so I'll have to see if iTunes has any of the better ones mentioned here for sale.

OG Kush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Korean cinema, but only seen the thrillers, action, gangster, type ones. What are the best from other genres like drama, romance etc? I'm also geetting into Hong Kong and Japanese cinema. Would def love another Asian cinema thread as I want to expand to other countries like Thai, Malay, Filipino and more cinema. Want to watch the best of the best from each.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Korean cinema, but only seen the thrillers, action, gangster, type ones. What are the best from other genres like drama, romance etc?
I've only seen two of his films but Lee Chang Dong is a widely respected drama filmmaker from recent years as well. For a look into the toxic masculinity psyche of South Korea as it transitioned into the modern, capitalist society it is today check out Peppermint Candy. It's a depressing watch and I oscillate between thinking it's too mean-spirited and just right, but am glad I saw it nevertheless.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Latest Korean film I've watched was The Wailing.

Damn, the last part/climax to the ending...

The bad guys win... : (

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Everyone should start with the movie that formed the modern Korean cinema

Yeah I got this for Christmas and enjoyed it. Nice seeing baby Song Kang-Ho and Choi Min Sik together. I love "The Quiet Family" which has them both in. Directed by Kim Jee Woon too. Not many people talk about that film.

I just got a VPN finally, and Prime US has some decent Korean films i've not seen before, couple i've added onto my watch list:

Flu
Master
The Classified File
The Tower

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Korean cinema, but only seen the thrillers, action, gangster, type ones. What are the best from other genres like drama, romance etc? I'm also geetting into Hong Kong and Japanese cinema. Would def love another Asian cinema thread as I want to expand to other countries like Thai, Malay, Filipino and more cinema. Want to watch the best of the best from each.
comedy: save green planet, miracle in cell nÂş7, tokyo!, quiet family, attack of the gas station, going by the book, radio start, miss grany, a man who was superman, speedy scandal
drama:spring summer fall winter and spring, poetry, masquerade, castway on the moon, welcome to dongmakgol, failan, king and clown, crying fist, peppermint candy, attorney, pieta, housemaid, jsa
romance: my sassy girl, a moment to remember, 3 irons, oasis, you are my sunshine, il mare, time, the classic, windstruck, im a cyborg but that's okay, eungyo
horror: tale of two sisters, wishing stairs, three extremes, whispering corridors, memento mori, wailing,

Oct 27, 2017

Hong Sang-soo is sorta like Woody Allen in that he's very prolific and often writes himself into his films. The humor is much more low-key but is concerned with the same type of mundane artistic and interpersonal conflicts. I've only seen Right Now, Wrong Then and
On the Beach at Night Alone and would recommend both.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I've mentioned it in this topic before, but it is still on Amazon Prime for those of you that have that option. Bring tissues. It's goddamned excellent.

s592

Another that, sadly, is a bit harder to find streaming is this. I own and love the hell out of this movie.

7112lk3-fKL._SX450_.jpg

Jul 4, 2018
I know it's a very different genre that's most of the recommendations but Extreme Job was my favourite comedy of last year. The synopsis is: A team of narcotics detectives goes undercover in a fried chicken joint to stake out an organized crime gang. But things take an unexpected turn when the detectives' chicken recipe suddenly transforms the rundown restaurant into the hottest eatery in town.

Also here is a YouTube trailer with English subs.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
If you like horror, give these a try:

A Tale of Two Sisters
I Saw the Devil

Also not Korean, but a Thai recommendation:

Shutter

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Burning is a goddamn masterpiece, must see. Intoxicating mystery that will stick in your mind after it ends.
a5c87b6bf2b148a2e5905ed0ff688c2e.png

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible, Burning is available on Google Play here and literally no other service. Probably the last service I want to use. I guess I'm watching it on frigging Youtube this weekend then lol.