• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most appealing character designs?

• Koopalings

Votes: 843 83.8%
  • Broodals

Votes: 68 6.8%
  • Thor 2

Votes: 95 9.4%

• Total voters

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
dec4pv2-f52e9ee0-f48d-4be4-b74e-5eef22504a84.jpg

SMO_Artwork_Broodals.png

Thread.

Koopalings probably? idk

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Broodals. More than half of the Koopalings look like "that kid" who asks if you have games on your phone.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Broodals are an affront to decency, and are the single marring aspect of Odyssey. If those had been advance Koopalings, I woulda been over the moon!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The Koopalings, by far.

I still can't believe they wasted Nobuyuki Hiyama on that green hat rabbit dude that we'll likely never see again.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
How could anyone possibly think that the Broodals aren't ugly and unappealing as hell?

Oct 25, 2017
They're all hideous, dull, 80's trolls dolls level creatures. I don't know how people give these guys a pass but eviscerate something like the Deadly Six in Sonic.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Koopalings but they should give them some customes like the Broodals next time.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I vote broodals just for Harriet

I hope Harriet is featured in future Mario games like in tennis, kart, etc

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe make it more of a challenge and throw in the smithy gang. Broodals are perfect for Mario Odyssey and suit the overall wedding theme, but koopalings are more synonymous with Mario.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
The Broodals are just about the only aspect of Odyssey that isn't completely sublime. I hated them.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised Broodals has any votes at all, they're among the worst character designs in the entire franchise. So naturally we'll get them all as part of the next Mario Kart or something.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I don't like the idea of animals in the Marioverse wearing clothes. I'm so used to Yoshi, Birdo, Bowser and his son, and the Koopalings...

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
As a SNES kid, the koopalings are timeless and Bowser's children.

Fuck Bowser Jnr.

Broodals were ok

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Broodals win by virtue of not being Koopas.

In games that already have Bowser, Bowser Jr. and a variety of Koopa enemies, every other boss doesn't need to also be one.

Mario's best bosses are individual designs though.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The Broodals are one of 3D Mario's rare character design misfires to me, Koopalings exude some transitioning to the nineties energy (and the names, good grief!) but everyone (yes, even the haters) has their faves of them.

Ludwig is one of the best Mario characters, there's a reason he gets that preferential koopaling treatment more often.

Also Iggy's redesign was a big improvement, it's worth mentioning that green and elongated upgrade

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but it's the Koopalings no question. The Broodals look like some horrid Banjo-Kazooie rejects.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Broodals

Koopaling are just as ugly and is only even winning because they were introduced first

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight, the whole game was about Bowser marrying Peach... why weren't his kids invited to the wedding?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Broodals are very function focused characters. Their designs are weak and pretty much just reflect their attacks in their boss fights. They have no character beyond their actions as enemies to be fought.

The Koopalings' designs are not so neatly mapped to their functional roles and thus are a lot more interesting and malleable. There's a case to be made that the Broodals are better character designs in terms of game design but aesthetically there's zero chance they win out.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Koopalings are better by far. Classic designs that may feel a bit overused in recent games, but they're as engrained in the legacy of the Mario series as a character can get. I don't think the Broodals are ever coming back unless there's a planned Odyssey 2 being made.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Koopalings just work better due to the whole "mini-Bowser" aspect, which makes them feel more relevant compared to fairly random (for Mario's universe) moon rabbits.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This a question that doesn't even need to be asked. Koopalings by a million miles. Broodals are trash.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Koopalings seem to be more interesting as a set.

Thor 2 should just say "Dead horse" at this point.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Koopalings are better by far. Classic designs that may feel a bit overused in recent games, but they're as engrained in the legacy of the Mario series as a character can get. I don't think the Broodals are ever coming back unless there's a planned Odyssey 2 being made.
They'll be in Mario Kart 9 or one of them. Baby Rosalina was a character for crying out loud.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Koopalings are kind of bland now but were fun to fight in Mario World. Broodals were meh from the get go

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the next 2D Mario doesn't use the Koopalings. They always need to be included as a set, which takes away any kind of new boss characters that aren't just "small Bowsers". NSMBU felt like it went to an extreme when it's bosses were all Koopas with Boom Boom, Koopalings, Bowser Jr., and Bowser.

They'll be in Mario Kart 9 or one of them. Baby Rosalina was a character for crying out loud.

I get the impression Nintendo looked at the new cast of Odyssey, said "we'll take Pauline", and forgot the rest for spinoffs.