• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked how several members of the cast got killed. Just a lot of not-evil people getting brutalized.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I didnt hate it but from start to finish the whole thing felt pointless.

The only good thing you can say about it is "fun,", the single most vapid of all good things to say about a movie, and nothing else. It lacks any story, point or feeling of care and sincerity. Scenes and events happen with no reason other than "just because." Characters die in comical ways that defy belief or rationality.

It's like watching Romeo and Juliet but they just fall in love, with 99% of screen time dedicated to some fights between the houses and that's it. Nothing else happens. That's what Kong Skull Island is like.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Its actually fun.
Something the Godzilla movies are lacking. Which is why those movies are bad.
Everyone in the Godzilla movies are either sad or crying.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It's got the worst human characters in the Monsterverse, somehow. Probably because they are cardboard cutouts. Every fucking Monsterverse movie has been a mixed bag thanks to this, and Godzilla vs Kong isn't going to change that.

KotM is simultaneously my most hated and most loved Monsterverse film. It's got the best moments in that universe, but it's all so crammed in and without any weight. Any brilliance from that movie is from the monsters. The idea of the humans plot are sound, it's just evacuated so cheesy and vapid. It's hilarious to me that by the end the intention was the audience to find it heartbreaking when Vera's character sacrifices herself, but instead it's laughable. The shame of it is how that stuff is sandwiched with the great monster scenes like Ghidorah's lightning going crazy. The dialogue in that movie....shew... I'm telling you..

"They called it Ghidorah."
"Gee-what?"
"Did she say gonorrhea?"

Har har har har har Har har har har

Fucking Kill me.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has the right tone for a movie about a giant gorilla, and probably a Metal Gear movie. Languishes in its own stupidity. The overly serious tone of the Godzilla reboot was tiresome.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Kong helicopter scene had the scale and action of what I wanted out of a modern Jurassic Park film.

I also remember that the John C Reilly credits scene was jarringly bizarre in tone.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
I watched it for the first time recently and I thought it was ok. Some really cool scenes like the bamboo spider thing. John C. Reilley was great. But I thought you could have removed Tom Hiddleston's character entirely from the movie and it wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever.

Originally the movie had Jackson's second in command, Chapman, who was killed by the lizards at the Sea Stallion, as the action hero. Hiddleston's character was added at the last moment

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
This makes so much sense.

It would have improved the film quite a bit, at least to me. You would have a back and fourth of sorts with Samuel L Jackson's character who is obsessed with revenge and Chapman, who just wants to get back home alive to meet his infant son. More character development for the already existing cast. Less civilians vs military as far as the survivor group too.

I'll echo what someone else here said that it's a good movie, best of the monsterverse, but just short of being a great one.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it last night as well on Apple TV. 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos. Absolutely wonderful experience. Spectacular colours, some great framing, and a couple of cool transitions.

They also got the fights right. The action follows Kong, and the kaijus are not relegated to a backdrop/sky box while humans do their stupid. I think keeping Kong's size somewhat small helped there.

Kong also goes Mortal Kombat in that last fight. Does a Scorpion "get over here", as well as a Fatality. Awesome stuff.

In the Godzilla/KotM films the scale of the monsters vs humans doesn't help with keeping the monsters in frame. They are either a foot or a tail; rarely the entire kaiju duking it out.

I hope Godzilla vs Kong keeps the action as riveting as Skull Island. But not holding my breath.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Saw it on a whim when me and my dad were out doing stuff, left the theater pleasantly surprised. It's not incredible but it's a fun popcorn flick.

Oct 27, 2017
I was in a really good mood or something when I saw this in the cinema, because I loved this movie. I'm scared to watch it again in case it doesn't live up to the good time I had.

I'm watching it tomorrow night as the Kong vs Godzilla trailer inspired run through the monster verse films.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Love the film.

It looks great, has a great cast, doesn't take it too seriously. And it wears its 'Adventure' genre with pride, it is basically a big budget update of a Doug McClure style adventure film, and that is infinitely more appealing than the rest of the Monsterverse's attempts to replicate the 'scientist story' stylings of Toho's films.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
What I like about some movies is when they don't revolve around the main star.

40 Year Old Virgin.. what made it great was his co-workers.

Skull Island.. it was those scenes with different types of creatures and exotic environments. I need to watch it again on my OLED. 😁

Nov 26, 2018
Watched it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have gripes about the village on the island. If John's character lived with them for 20 years, certainly there should have been more idk, humanity? Like was it too much to have some sort of language spoken? They had impressive architectural feats, why couldn't we dive in on that?

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Great visuals, fun monster action, characters I gave zero shits about. I just couldn't fully invest in it, same as the Godzilla flicks really. Fine for a watch, but I doubt I'll ever watch them again.

Dr Zhivago

Oct 27, 2017
Battlestar Potemkin
Originally the movie had Jackson's second in command, Chapman, who was killed by the lizards at the Sea Stallion, as the action hero. Hiddleston's character was added at the last moment
Ah, this explains why Chapman has so much time devoted to him when he just gets eaten.
I enjoyed this a lot, my only other criticism is that the big skull crawler should have been more visually distinct from the smaller ones.

Oct 26, 2017
I finally saw it for the first time. I thought it was really good. The human characters are night and day compared to KOTM in how much likeability they had.
Especially John C. Reilly's character. Am I the only one who got a lil teary-eyed during the ending scene? That moment just worked for me.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's solid but it has that issue of Kong and the bigger monsters never really feeling present (similar to King of the Monsters). It was good when it was the humans dealing with the smaller scale stuff though.

And man, that dude that got carried off by the bird/ pterodactyl things and you see his arm get ripped off, that was fucking brutal.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I thought it looked great, had a great cast and, above all, was ultra-self aware and had a very good sense of humour. It was very entertaining, fun to watch and the John C. Reilly character had lots of heart. It's a good popcorn movie.

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand some of the criticisms. Particularly, the random deaths.

Outside of one character's death that seemed to come out of nowhere, I think the random, unforgiving nature of the deaths made it feel like anyone could die.

Also, they made Samuel L. Jackson's character shift into dumbass territory near the end.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Kong has some nice shots, but was just a stupid movie.

Aircraft Pilots in Godzilla: "We can avoid the EMP of the MUTO if we just fly very high!".

Helicopter Pilots in Kong: "Hey, there's a cool giant ape, let's fly right at him instead of using our machine guns which could make minzemeat out of him from a save distance!"

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
The only things I remember are John Goodman and being astonished that the Toby Kebbell character had a side plot that went absolutely nowhere.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
is better than the Godzilla movies
for one thing the humans aren't boring or annoying

Oct 27, 2017
It's got some cool moments in the first half and near the end. But it's a fucking mess in terms of story, and characters, and it's central message. What someone said above about Hiddelston's character being added at the last minute makes so much sense now. He and Larson are essentially irrelevant to the plot and are given such paper thin characterization. The movie really doesn't know what it wants to do or be in the second half. The way it kills off Chapman for little to no reason with no fanfare was wild to me.

But yeah, it does look pretty. It's just a mess in every other way.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Great visuals and action. I also thought the pacing is solid after the first thirty minutes.

The supporting cast was fine, but both Brie and Loki are incredibly miscast. Brie is highly overqualified and Loki does not sell being a hardened soldier at all. Toby Kebell should have played that role instead.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really liked this one. It's also currently the highest grossing of the Monsterverse movies, so it likely has a pretty good fan base.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, it was alright. Definitely don't know why we're supposed to be rooting for Kong given that he was brutally and indiscriminately killing and eating people though

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, it was alright. Definitely don't know why we're supposed to be rooting for Kong given that he was brutally and indiscriminately killing and eating people though
Because it's Kong's island, and they were literally dropping bombs on it. And even then, he mostly leaves the people alone or even protects them when they aren't actively antagonizing him.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I think it's a decent movie with amazing visuals and monster design. The tree with the leaves that weren't leaves was pretty brilliant. And I certainly was not expecting a Cannibal Holocaust reference in a mainstream movie like this.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a loaded question. Someone mentioned being the best in the dumpster fire. I agree with that statement. But I also see Skull Island as a "sequel" to the other Kong films. This film feels we are following another story. In fact it is the only time I think this worked when most of the time it fails. A great example would be Doom Eternal. There were things not explained that felt we missed a full story and maybe a better story. But Skull Island didn't feel that way.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
The movie does scale much better than Godzilla. Also, the idea to demystify Kong from the get go was a wise decision. Samuel Jackson was hilarious and the colors were really cool! I totally agree it was a fun little movie