• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Hyper-Sports-R_06-10-20.jpg

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/hyper-sports-r-cancelled
Notice Regarding the Cancellation of Hyper Sports R

As of today, we have decided to discontinue development on Hyper Sports R for the Nintendo Switch. The team had been continually working on the game since its initial reveal in June 2018. However, after much consideration, we have decided to cancel its development due to various circumstances.

We deeply apologize to all our valued customers who have been patiently anticipating the release of this game for this significant inconvenience.

We hope that you will continually enjoy our products and services.

I doubt many people were still looking forward to this revival given that it was announced two years ago and looked to be doing basically the same stuff Sega's Olympics tie-ins have already done on Switch... but at least you finally have closure, invincible2020.

Here was the original reveal trailer for anyone who forgot what this was:

Jun 2, 2019
I didn't even know this existed

Oh well, don't worry Konami, i know how you can compensate us Switch owners

You can release SotN for the first time on a Nintendo console, for example

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd love to know what leaps of logic you've taken to assume they're at all connected.

I think the logic is something like this

The Joke

Your Head

I didn't even know this game was in development, how did it take Konami this long to not be able to poop out some low effort mini game collection?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami: Wait! who escaped the Pachinko dungeon and started making console games again?!

(I know is probably due to the Olympic games being canceled.)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It just show further how much they care aboout traditionnal console gaming, sad but old Konami won't come back anytime soon.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I didn't even know this existed

Oh well, don't worry Konami, i know how you can compensate us Switch owners

You can release SotN for the first time on a Nintendo console, for example
That would require them to work on a video game, though. Something they just don't do anymore. Except...
I wouldn't be surprised to see PES cancelled in the near future.
This is probably their one exception. I doubt we'll see a cancellation. Maybe a delay at best.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
That trailer looked pretty awful, having said that, I think there is room for a fun update of those classic multisport games...that dont feature Mario or Sonic.

Ahem, Sega, you're up next.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the game Konami had at E3 last year and put a time delay embargo on, when people thought it was Castlevania.

ANY interest this game had was because people thought it was something else due to how Konami was being tightlipped about it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt many people were still looking forward to this revival given that it was announced two years ago and looked to be doing basically the same stuff Sega's Olympics tie-ins have already done on Switch... but at least you finally have closure, invincible2020.

I was cautiously optimistic:

In principle I'm okay with this, 'cause Hypersports was rad. We'll see how it actually pans out, though.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing hyper sports in 1987 although the game came out a few years before. I didn't know konami still made games in this series.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing hyper sports in 1987 although the game came out a few years before. I didn't know konami still made games in this series.
They didn't for a long time, the only recent one as far as I'm aware was New International Track & Field on the DS (which is where the screenshot I posted above derives from)

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
That trailer looked pretty awful, having said that, I think there is room for a fun update of those classic multisport games...that dont feature Mario or Sonic.

Ahem, Sega, you're up next.

you can actually play Olympics 2020 even tough the western release (region free and completely in english) is in limbo right now

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I played this game's demo at E3 2018 and totally forgot it existed. It was... not good. Though I'm surprised they didn't just fart this out as eShop shovelware to recoup SOMEthing.