• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Did we ever find out who painted all Konami's 8 and 16-bit box arts?

Edit: Tom Dubois! You could probably call him the third pillar along with Ayumi Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love the cohesive NES box art designs from Konami. Recently made a little personal art project based off a favorite:

5fadvSk.jpg

12" x 18" on brushed metal, the shine looks so good on the eyes and teeth!

great game. great cover

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Yeah, I agree OP, Konami boxarts are something else, can't wait to see the boxart of the new Silent Hill...oh

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Did they completely stop making games, even PES?

Not completely and little by little they are stating to make more console games. Most of it stays in Japan but they are still here. Hopefully one day they will revive the series we care about.
As for the second part of your question apparently they are switching to UE4 for PES instead of the engine from MGS V.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Did they completely stop making games, even PES?
Well, not completely. They still make some stuff like the new Bomberman games, Contra Rogue Corps and that Momotaro game that became a huge hit in Japan. This year's PES was just an update to PES 2020 iirc tho.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Snake's Revenge was sent to die, both as game and cover

083717120100.jpg

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't forget this gem. Subsequent western releases of Suikoden unfortunately went more traditional box art

9Ntob3PLLfqu5nfvERtH7AkCgTcNW1AT2S_Bw1vfMX6u0dZY1G3RhoAQwYG2kSAIjixYT0Qrma1LvKFZrEq2BjwDsSZSrc8u1AVfFMnMXYRa6MGwRkHs8uSbWw

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
How could you make a thread about Konami box art and not post Suikoden or Vandal Hearts covers?

1SXCo8q.gif

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Even their sports games had sass.

PES3 had the sheer audacity to put the referee on the cover. The fucking referee!! Has that ever happened before or since?

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_3.jpg

In fairness, that's about the only one; the majority of PES covers (even to this day) are downright ugly.

Damn, might be an unpopular opinion but something about this cover art always stood out to me and really drew me in for some reason!

I suspect this is a Hideo Kojima thing, as he's done the exact same with Phantom Pain and Death Stranding.

I honestly hate it, and I can't help thinking that it'll age even worse, being an extreme closeup of a 3D character render.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
You know, thinking on it the SH2 EU cover art is really amazing.

Laura is the only one not lost in darkness. The other characters are all on that boxart.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Dear Konami,
Please make real games again or sell off your IPs so someone else can do it for you.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Tom Dubois (Castlevania 4, Contra 3, Turtles in Time) was the shit. And that was before digital art, which makes it even more impressive.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even their sports games had sass.

PES3 had the sheer audacity to put the referee on the cover. The fucking referee!! Has that ever happened before or since?

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_3.jpg
I played this game, but don't remember this amazing box art. It seems some Iranian video game sellers changed this box art with a player for better sales! lol

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
My earliest memory of video games is the cartridge of The Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

23863-the-legend-of-the-mystical-ninja-snes-front-cover.jpg

Drastically different art style aside, it shows you exactly what to expect from the game, even though you wouldn't believe it until you saw it in-game.

That's one of my favourite boxarts ever. I remember the first time I saw it was in a double-page spread in EGM around '91 I think. I ended up importing the game with one of those HoneyBee NTSC>PAL converters because it was never officially released in Australia.

I played this game, but don't remember this amazing box art. It seems some Iranian video game sellers changed this box art with a player for better sales! lol

That might have been a regional thing? I know for PES 6 the European(UK?) version had John Terry and Adriano on the cover, but the Australian version had the photo of John Aloisi after he'd just scored the penalty against Uruguay to get us to the 2006 World Cup. So good.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That might have been a regional thing? I know for PES 6 the European(UK?) version had John Terry and Adriano on the cover, but the Australian version had the photo of John Aloisi after he'd just scored the penalty against Uruguay to get us to the 2006 World Cup. So good.
I thought that at first, but it seems the game had only one box art!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This is the first video game I remember ever getting. It must have just been some last minute thing my dad saw on sale somewhere, cause after I finished opening all my presents, he pulled it out of a closet. Wasn't wrapped or anything. I'm sure everything else I got was stuff I asked for. So, funny the only gift I remember was the unwrapped last second extra.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
re: Tom Dubois my childhood friend and would always joke about how the main characters in the artwork are in situations where they're about to brutally die

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I heard a lot of Konami art was lost in an earthquake? dunno if that's true or not, but it's a huge loss to gaming history

AiPYAsj.jpg
Mtb11xi.jpg

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Did we ever find out who painted all Konami's 8 and 16-bit box arts?

Edit: Tom Dubois! You could probably call him the third pillar along with Ayumi Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa.
Not really. Tom Dubois only did some, he did not do the majority.

Tom Dubois box art artist page| BOX=ART

The history behind US illustrator Tom Dubois' box art/cover arts.

The majority of Konami's iconic high quality Frazetta knockoff art was done in Japan. Castlevania 1, CV2, CV Adventure, Gradius, Salamander Life Force, Metal Gear, Goonies II etc

Typically NOA only called Dubois and others (eg using the European Gryzor art for US Contra) in if they wanted something more edgy because the Japanese art was too cartoony, too 'arty', or wasn't that great, eg Castlevania III/IV, Sunset Riders, Turtles in Time, Goemon. Or if the game wasn't released in Japan, eg Bad n' Rad, Rollergames, Snake's Revenge, Laser Invasion etc.

Last edited: