• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Good guesses. Bloodlines for sure has to be a lock.

Though I can see a potential Dracula X only release here and possibly holding off on Rondo as the selling point of a stand-alone second collection due later. Can see SotN and Chronicles(PS1) held off too alongside the Wii Rebirth game for that second collection.

Just not sure what replaces the empties in the first collection if Simon's Quest and the GB games aren't included. GBA?
I think they're just going to stick to the 8- and 16-bit era for the first collection, so GBA is unlikely. Also, if Simon's Quest and Adventure were going to be included, I really think they would've announced them already. I think they are saving announcements for the more exciting games to build hype, and neither of those games is very exciting.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they also say there are going to be other Castlevania and Contra collections? Maybe they plan to do what Capcom did with the Megaman X Legacy collection and wait until both are out before releasing a physical release. As it stands, these collections are a pass for me if digital only. I already own most of the games digitally through Nintendo's Virtual Console. I also own quite a few of the original physical carts.

Yeah. I really love what Capcom did with the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, putting it on a disc, even if it's Japan only. But when that disc includes the English versions I've got nothing to complain about. Capcom has been really good about physical releases for their retro compilations. Hope that Konami follows Capcom's lead in this.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're just going to stick to the 8- and 16-bit era for the first collection, so GBA is unlikely. Also, if Simon's Quest and Adventure were going to be included, I really think they would've announced them already. I think they are saving announcements for the more exciting games to build hype, and neither of those games is very exciting.

Agreed, which is why I'm uncertain on Chronicles and Rondo for this round.

But yea no hope for Simon's Quest and Adventure if they weren't already announced. They are the black sheep afterall.

Rondo seems capable of carrying a second collection which is why I see a Drac X split. (Though that would annoy many initially). Also I see them being more open to splitting Rondo and Drac X than Rondo and SotN.

But then again I can see collection 2 primarily being IGA driven...and in that case keep Rondo and Chronicles on the first as you say.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
So, if Castlevania Collection 1 is all Classicvania, I could see Castlevania Collection 2 being Simon's Quest, the 3 GBA games, the 3 DS games, and Harmony of Despair, keeping Rondo and SotN exclusive to the Requiem collection. I just don't see Konami re-releasing those again so soon, and likely at a better price point.

Ultimately, I'd actually be okay with that since it would mean we'd have roughly 18 Castlevania re-releases on modern platforms (albeit only complete on PS4).

Will

Oct 26, 2017
So, if Castlevania Collection 1 is all Classicvania, I could see Castlevania Collection 2 being Simon's Quest, the 3 GBA games, the 3 DS games, and Harmony of Despair, keeping Rondo and SotN exclusive to the Requiem collection. I just don't see Konami re-releasing those again so soon, and likely at a better price point.

Ultimately, I'd actually be okay with that since it would mean we'd have roughly 18 Castlevania re-releases on modern platforms (albeit only complete on PS4).
I hope Rondo and SotN make it on some Anniversary Collection because I don't have a PS4.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018

This is where I'm at too. To me it's just a no brainer that they would do a 8 classicvania and 8 igavania in two seperate collections. Releasing all the igavania games without SoTN seems like such a huge oversight but re-releasing SoTN less than a year later with the same price point for more games than they included before does make it look less likely.
I was trying to rationalize that they might be able to get away with it by putting the original PS1 version of SoTN since Requiem has the PSP version? But I don't know how many people will actually care about that.

Also Harmony of Despair is too much of a pie in the sky get for me. HoD on every platform? With cross platform play? I can't even dare to dream.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait and see how it actually runs and how well the emulation is before i buy.

This is super cool though

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get as many of the Castlevanias I'm missing as possible. Got full access to the ones up on any Virtual Console plus SotN and the DS games, but that still leaves plenty I'd really like to play! The second GB game being on there is certainly a good start for me, though. Honestly, weird of a choice as it may be, I actually really would like to play Oid Dracula some time and hope it pops up eventually through this initiative. Bonus points if they somehow wrangle the 3D Castlevanias too, even if they're not supposed to be great. Like, at the bare minimum, Legacy of Darkness tends to go for around as much as a new game IIRC from whenever I last checked...

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I swore I saw them there. My bad then, by all means, here's to them.
They have GBA ones and the last one had a direct sequel in the first DS one, that's probably where the confusion stems from.

The DS VC library was extremely barren, I wonder if it was a case of the emulator being a giant last minute hack that required extensive per-game tweaking or something. Other systems got minimal external publisher support on 3DS and Wii U, especially for Western stuff, but this did not apply to Capcom or Konami. Or maybe the rumours of the thing getting based on some Wii-times form are true. Who knows.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
So, Castlevania experts out there, what are the most likely four games to be revealed?

"The first Konami Castlevania collection is designed to be a completed collection around the origins of the historic franchise".

This implies to me that there are going to be two Castlevania collections, the first one focusing on Classicvania and the second on Metroidvania.

If that's the case then I would guess the remaining games in the first collection will be Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines and then two from Castlevania Rebirth, Castlevania Chronicles and Dracula X.

I would then expect the second collection to include Symphony of the Night as well as the GBA trilogy and the DS trilogy. Assuming they're both 8 game collections that leaves one vacant slot, which I would expect to be filled by Simon's Quest. That would make sense because Simon's Quest is more of an early proto-Metroidvania than a straight up Classicvania despite the era in which it was released.

Oct 26, 2017
This implies to me that there are going to be two Castlevania collections, the first one focusing on Classicvania and the second on Metroidvania.

If that's the case then I would guess the remaining games in the first collection will be Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines and then two from Castlevania Rebirth, Castlevania Chronicles and Dracula X.

I would then expect the second collection to include Symphony of the Night as well as the GBA trilogy and the DS trilogy. Assuming they're both 8 game collections that leaves one vacant slot, which I would expect to be filled by Simon's Quest. That would make sense because Simon's Quest is more of an early proto-Metroidvania than a straight up Classicvania despite the era in which it was released.

X is just a hack of Rondo. It would make more sense to have Rebirth and the original X68k game on there, but then again it would mean another two platforms to emulate.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
i do hope we get all the castlevania games. even if it's multiple collections
including the 64 and ps2 games just to have the complete collection

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to rationalize that they might be able to get away with it by putting the original PS1 version of SoTN since Requiem has the PSP version? But I don't know how many people will actually care about that.

I mean, I'd rather have the PSX version than the awful retranslation and new dub that the PSP version has.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
X is just a hack of Rondo. It would make more sense to have Rebirth and the original X68k game on there, but then again it would mean another two platforms to emulate.
XX is not a hack. It takes sprites, bosses, music and premise but has 100% new level designs and completely different (generally much higher quality) tilework.

3a-2.gif

4-1.gif

It was clearly going to be a massive overhaul or sequel, but was rushed at the end. It ends up being a worse game, but it's not a hack.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
My guesses for the last 4:

Simon's Quest, Bloodlines, Castlevania Chronicles, and The Adventure ReBirth.

Alternatively, they're withholding Simon's Quest for inclusion in a separate collection of Igavanias (because it was kind of the precursor to that style), and Rondo is included instead.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda curious what the other 4 CV games are.

Probably:
- Bloodlines
- Portrait of Ruin (since this is kiiiiinda linked to Bloodlines)
- Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
- Castlevania Legends

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Alternatively, they're withholding Simon's Quest for inclusion in a separate collection of Igavanias (because it was kind of the precursor to that style), and Rondo is included instead.

I like how you think :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not going to lie, all the GBA and DS 'vanias in a single package sounds far too good to be true. I'm not 100% confident on this happening because the DS ones would require some rework, with some of them using the touch screen and such. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I'm not sure how much work modern Konami wants to put on these.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
You know what? I bet they leave out Bloodlines again.

Yeah, I'm worried it will continue to not be re-released for whatever mysterious (likely stupid) reason along with NES Contra and Hard Corps. GB Castlevania II gives me hope, but it's possible that never made it to 3DS VC just because support was dropped before they got around to it...

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017

Yes I'd be all in if those are the remaining four.

Oct 25, 2017
I think including Belmont's Revenge is a good sign that Bloodlines will get rereleased

Belmont's Revenge was not on the 3ds eshop

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ya know as is i REALLY would like contra and casltevania rebirth in these collections xo heck id even buy them as dlc if they offer it.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think including Belmont's Revenge is a good sign that Bloodlines will get rereleased

Belmont's Revenge was not on the 3ds eshop
Indeed. The only prior rerelease for Belmont's Revenge was 20 years ago in Konami GB Collection. Bloodlines and Adventure ReBirth would follow nicely.

I'd also like to back up everyone who's saying Belmont's Revenge is good. Don't let The Adventure and Legends scare you off from this one!

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to know how terrible the emulation is.
The arcade games will be fine since they're the Arcade Archives releases. NES, GB, SNES and any other possibilities (MSX2, PCE, MD, X68000, etc) will depend on who Konami hired. It might be Hamster (who subcontracts to Gotch Technology) as well or it could be someone else. Konami has a track record of working with both M2 (Sega Ages, Virtual Console, NeoGeo Station, various collections) and D4 Enterprise (Project Egg, Virtual Console) on this sort of stuff. Any of the 3 would be pretty good on that end though.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
$20 a piece for games you can get for free.... What a way to burn your fanbase. How about making new games that people actually care about instead of just selling them fucking roms. Nostalgia is the bane of progress.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
So classicvania in 8 games: 3 nes, 1 X68000, 2 gameboy, 1 snes (super castlevania 4), 1 Rebirth or 1 genesis

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

It's like the developers peeked at the concept stage artwork for the first Castlevania and scoffed at the linear level design. It's got all the same beats, but presents them differently. Simon's Quest seems more like a sequel to this version than the FC/NES one, what with it carrying over stuff like shops, hearts as money, a freaking shield, etc. Just needs to be streamlined a bit, being able to only carry one normal key at a time is some bullshit (somewhat mitigated by the fact you can find/buy a staff than can open multiple chests), and having the standard whip replaced entirely by certain sub-weapons like the Axe, Cross and Dagger that can be used frivolously without spending hearts is some shit I'm not sure I approve (the dagger especially seems a little too OP despite its lower attack strength compared to a whip strike since you can fire them off pretty quickly).

I can see Vampire Killer and Simon's Quest being bundled together in a different collection, actually.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I knew Vampire Killer was a little different from CV1, but I didn't realize how much. Amazing how many completely different versions there are of the first game.

Here's hoping Metal Gear and Kojima's adventure games are next!

It'd be cool to get the early Metal Gears alongside Snatcher, Policenauts, but I kind of doubt Konami would actually want to label something as the "Kojima Collection" at this point.

I think a Metal Gear collection could happen, though they'd likely avoid MGS2, 3, and PW since those already have one, and MGS4 would be a significant enough project to be on its own. There's no reason they'd have to stick to eight games, but it'd be cool to see:

Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear 2 (MSX)
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge
Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid
Acid 1
Acid 2

Not sure they'd re-release Acid, and they might not want to acknowledge that Snake's Revenge exists...but it'd all be worth it to get Ghost Babel re-released.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
The more I think about it, a Castlevania collection without Rondo and SoTN is so egregious. They just have to be there.

Also theorizing about a potential 3rd collection because why not.
The 1st is most likely CV1, CV3, CVII:BR, Super CV4, Chronicles, Rondo, Bloodlines, Rebirth
The 2nd may be something like CV2, SoTN, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, OoE

Then the third would be akin to that 'Sonic Gems' collection of 'other kinda cool or at least interesting or odd games' but not big enough to get in with the other collections:
CV 64, LoD, LoI, CoD, DxC, Judgement, Kid Dracula and Getsuu Fuma Den

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Rondo being included at most but not Symphony. Especially if they plan another collection as a follow up.