• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
is there some dude somewhere sword fighting with the evil spirit inside Konami or what

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this is a legit announcement. Doesn't seem to be anything crazy like what you would expect for April fools.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Variety would post a prank about Konami's practices or any other company that's not affiliated with them. Usually Konami themselves would tweet or post it on their website if it's a prank.

Makes sense since Konami are now dipping into their back catalog/IP to make some quick bucks. Better than getting no games from them.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
giphy.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i assume this is not a joke because it is also the beginning of the fiscal year.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Man, April 1st is the worst possible date to start the fiscal year. And what a name. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Konami soft rebrands a lil' more in order to regain consumer trust.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a joke only because the title make it sounds like Konami rebranded its US headquarters, but that's not what's happening. What's being rebranded is 4K Media, that's a subsidiary who dubbed the Yu-Gi-Oh anime for example.

This just means we are likely to get some frogger/contra/bomberman anime or mechandise, not games.

And here is the original link, no april fools here : https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20190401/

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
So they're sitting on MGS and Silent Hill IPs but they want to focus on Frogger remasters?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frogger with an eye patch, a beard and a cigarette. He's seem some shit on dem highways. The modern gritty reboot we've been waiting for

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

I honestly don't think so. Variety wouldn't report it if it was, it's not really their thing to post about videogames anyway.

Should be noted that April 1, while April Fools' Day, is also the start of the new fiscal year.

For anyone that might think this is a joke article or anything.

Edit: Press release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190401005243/en/

Also, this.

Also, nice to see you back Zatt.

Thank you mate, I'm happy to be back as well!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Variety would post a prank about Konami's practices or any other company that's not affiliated with them. Usually Konami themselves would tweet or post it on their website if it's a prank.

Makes sense since Konami are now dipping into their back catalog/IP to make some quick bucks. Better than getting no games from them.
id rather nobody have anything from them if i get nothing

;)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of bewildering that an IP as iconic as Frogger has been so inactive in recent years. He had some good PlayStation games and basically nothing of any note since. You'd think they would have taken some cues from Pac-Man Championship Edition and tried doing a really slick and clever update of the original by now.

I would totally be down for a Frogger 2 remaster tbh

oh HECK yes

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Frogger 3DS was actually great. I'd buy more of that on mobile, Switch, or whatever.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I had absolutely forgotten Konami owned frogger, for some reason i was misremembering as Square-Enix owning it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of bewildering that an IP as iconic as Frogger has been so inactive in recent years. He had some good PlayStation games and basically nothing of any note since. You'd think they would have taken some cues from Pac-Man Championship Edition and tried doing a really slick and clever update of the original by now.
The problem is someone else came along and make an updated Frogger clone that is amazing (Crossy Road). Hard to compete with that.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
This is incredibly interesting if you follow Konami corporate. 4K was the remains of 4kids and exclusively dealt with Yugioh.

New merch IPs is pretty cool, the holy grail would be if they start development there.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Konami refocuses on their classic properties? Now this is April Fools if I ever saw one.