• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
I tried MGS non patched and it runs well. Looks real nice too, for a comparison I booted up the original MGS on my PS classic and wow PC looks way better. For my first playthrough, should i stick with the GoG version or play the Gamecube remake. Last time I played MGS1 was on my PS2 back in 2001.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried MGS non patched and it runs well. Looks real nice too, for a comparison I booted up the original MGS on my PS classic and wow PC looks way better. For my first playthrough, should i stick with the GoG version or play the Gamecube remake. Last time I played MGS1 was on my PS2 back in 2001.
GOG with the patch. Do not play the Gamecube remake as your first playthrough. That version of the game is better left as a second playthrough.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have a lot of love for MGS1, but replaying through it today I'm reminded that it's not really a good game. I constantly find myself going "Oh fuck, right this part." But as relatively short as this game is, it's really mostly bad parts.

-The Ocelot fight is terrible.
-The tank fight is just as bad
-Getting through the storage building is a pain
-The electric floor/gas room is a bad puzzle
-The ninja fight is tedious
-The Mantis fight is iconic, but in this version you have to switch between KB and controller instead of controller inputs
-The wolf hallway sucks
-Then you gotta backtrack all the way to the armory for the rifle, and go all the way back
-The torture sequence and waiting for Otacon to save you sucks
-Once again, you have to trek back from the first building all the way back to Sniper Wolf's hallway
-The stairwell with infinitely spawning guards is maybe the worst part of this whole game

That's just what I've replayed today. I love the story, and specific moments and segments, but this game is more trash than treasure.

Lol yep this about sums up my experience with the game. I played it for the first time in 2014, and really appreciated how novel, creative and varied the gameplay was and how relatively contained the whole experience was, but almost every chapter was packed to the brim with extreme frustration. I couldn't tell you how many times I was stuck on a boss for about an hour and just thinking "why am I even doing this?" To compound things, the story is atrocious, I don't care what anyone says. It was obviously dealing with more interesting themes and utilized more sophisticated and confident cinematic techniques than its contemporaries, but Kojima can't tell a story to save his life. Some of the most hamfisted and overwritten shit I've played (until MGS4).

I have a strange fondness for the game just because of how unique and contained the experience is, but its gameplay and story are endlessly tedious.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Off topic, but serious question: Why do some people want these on Steam if they are on GOG? I don't see the reason why you wouldn't just pick them up DRM free on GOG? Are there advantages I'm missing or something? I'm curious because I always go GOG if possible.

Edit: Not available in Korea? WTF? Not cool.

Last edited:

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Off topic, but serious question: Why do some people want these on Steam if they are on GOG? I don't see the reason why you wouldn't just pick them up DRM free on GOG? Are there advantages I'm missing or something? I'm curious because I always go GOG if possible.

Same. I think a lot of people just like having all their games in one place as much as possible along with the perks of the Steam eco-system like achievements (which GOG has), Big Picture Mode, controller customization support etc. But yeah, I'm much happier when I can get my hands on a GOG version of a game.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wonder if it's as simple as a lot of people having never Added a Non-Steam Game tbh

luca

Oct 25, 2017

Same. I think a lot of people just like having all their games in one place as much as possible along with the perks of the Steam eco-system like achievements (which GOG has), Big Picture Mode, controller customization support etc. But yeah, I'm much happier when I can get my hands on a GOG version of a game.
wonder if it's as simple as a lot of people having never Added a Non-Steam Game tbh
I don't care about achievements or having one eco system. I've heard the games can't be played with a Dual Shock 4 which is why I haven't bought them on GOG yet. Adding them as non-steam games to steam supposedly doesn't fix this.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about achievements or having one eco system. I've heard the games can't be played with a Dual Shock 4 which is why I haven't bought them on GOG yet. Adding them as non-steam games to steam supposedly doesn't fix this.
Use the fan patches. At least V's fix for MGS2 supports DS4.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
That's a lovely suggestion.

Hope this makes a few more people aware of this lovely fix.

Anyway, here you go friend'o:

www.ign.com

How To Make Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Look Better on PC - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Guide - IGN

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, MGS 2's ultimate edition, is available on PC through GoG. With it on PC, you can download a custom mod to make the whole
Thank you so much really appreciate this a lot! :D

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How hard/costly would it be for GOG or anyone to port Metal Gear 2 to PC? I'd like to hope that it would come later.
I don't know. I'd imagine, if we were to go this route, re-translating it but keeping everything else would be the most costly part. But I also have no idea how MSX porting works (if that was even ever a thing beyond emulating).

Actually, that's probably why MG2 isn't here. GOG just doesn't do stuff like that.

parski

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 13, 2017
I prefer the integer coordinate texture warping look of the PlayStation but I'm very interested in how Metal Gear Solid 2 runs with the patches compared to, say, the HD Collection.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I prefer the integer coordinate texture warping look of the PlayStation but I'm very interested in how Metal Gear Solid 2 runs with the patches compared to, say, the HD Collection.
Yes I'm interested in this too - I guess in terms of resolution we're talking 720p vs unlimited / 4K excetera. But what about QOL / gameplay etc?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London

It's just the bearshare of where my games are. Easy to just install and uninstall because steam always launches on startup for me. Good to launch into community discussions for fixes if something isn't working right. Nevertheless, I did repurchase MGS1 on GOG.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
It's just the bearshare of where my games are. Easy to just install and uninstall because steam always launches on startup for me. Good to launch into community discussions for fixes if something isn't working right. Nevertheless, I did repurchase MGS1 on GOG.
Yeah this 100%

Got them for now on gog but only because we now finally can get them.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The Software Renderer option in MGS1 has that. Looks exactly like the PS1 version except at 4x the resolution (240p vs 480p on PC)

Last edited:

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This right here makes MGS2 massively more playable, pick any res you want, Xbox controller setup correctly etc -

github.com

Home

Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of love for MGS1, but replaying through it today I'm reminded that it's not really a good game. I constantly find myself going "Oh fuck, right this part." But as relatively short as this game is, it's really mostly bad parts.

-The Ocelot fight is terrible.
-The tank fight is just as bad
-Getting through the storage building is a pain
-The electric floor/gas room is a bad puzzle
-The ninja fight is tedious
-The Mantis fight is iconic, but in this version you have to switch between KB and controller instead of controller inputs
-The wolf hallway sucks
-Then you gotta backtrack all the way to the armory for the rifle, and go all the way back
-The torture sequence and waiting for Otacon to save you sucks
-Once again, you have to trek back from the first building all the way back to Sniper Wolf's hallway
-The stairwell with infinitely spawning guards is maybe the worst part of this whole game

That's just what I've replayed today. I love the story, and specific moments and segments, but this game is more trash than treasure.

This is all heresy. Still probably my favorite MGS. I'll only concede that the Ocelot fight can be tedious, everything else is supposed to be that way and works perfectly. Like, complaining about the backtrack, you're supposed to feel frustrated just like Snake.

Begone.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
MGS crashes randomly when getting game overs or skipping cutscenes. Really fucking annoying.

Maybe this re-release needed a bit more work. I'm this close to refunding.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
This is all heresy. Still probably my favorite MGS. I'll only concede that the Ocelot fight can be tedious, everything else is supposed to be that way and works perfectly. Like, complaining about the backtrack, you're supposed to feel frustrated just like Snake.

Begone.

It's obviously intended to be that way. They didn't accidentally ship a game that's about 60% backtracking and filler. I'm saying it's bad that it's intended that way, and almost certain a sign of budgetary/time limitations. It's a top heavy game, where the most interesting gameplay and the best bits are all within the first 45 minutes or so. Once you're inside the tank hangar, you've already seen the best of what the game has to offer, in my opinion.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

Begone.
The Ocelot fight can be done with in a single reload cycle. Once he has stopped to reload for the first time and you successfully land the first shot, you can chase after him by holding the gun and crawl buttons (you can run while keeping the gun ready and even shoot it while still running, so he doesn't get to evade the shot) and outrunning him after you shoot him, as he will continue running in the same direction regardless. Over in literal seconds.

If you do this he will resort to reloading on the move, and he will retaliate by firing a shot every time you successfully shoot him and stay near him. However, if you catch up to him and stand on top of him (clipping his model) the retaliation shot won't affect you.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's obviously intended to be that way. They didn't accidentally ship a game that's about 60% backtracking and filler. I'm saying it's bad that it's intended that way, and almost certain a sign of budgetary/time limitations. It's a top heavy game, where the most interesting gameplay and the best bits are all within the first 45 minutes or so. Once you're inside the tank hangar, you've already seen the best of what the game has to offer, in my opinion.

I'm saying I disagree completely. The game is perfect. The "tedium" the correct effect to use at any given time. Every part of the game is masterful.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I'd imagine, if we were to go this route, re-translating it but keeping everything else would be the most costly part. But I also have no idea how MSX porting works (if that was even ever a thing beyond emulating).

Actually, that's probably why MG2 isn't here. GOG just doesn't do stuff like that.
The game was already translated once; GOG wouldn't need to retranslate it. They'd just need to port the game.

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
I'm playing on Software and a friend is playing on Hardware, both of us are getting occasional crashes.
the gameover crash is happening because of software. have you gotten to the electrical grid section because i hear blowing up the panel also causes the game to crash. you shouldn't be crashing on Hardware.
here is a test stream with some solutions to you and your friend's problems https://www.twitch.tv/videos/752337980

Oct 27, 2017
With the V fix is this the best way to the play MGS2 in 1440p to 4k? I'm thinking about purchasing it. Mind you, I have the bluepoint HD collection.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Doom and Quake were already out on PC by this time, so I really don't know what you're going on about.
The SEGA PC ports had already started too (Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Sonic R, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast), as well as Megaman X (admittedly not the best version) and Megaman X3 (same as later available on PS1). There were Rayman and Rayman 2 as well! Tons of rad games to play on PC.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I don't need this I have far too many other games to play.

I don't need this.

I don't..need this...

I need this.

*buys*