• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Finally a way to play MGS1&2 not on my PS3 via the HD Collection! Now if we can just get Snake Eater on PC...

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you ignore Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake as a packed-in game, it's still a MSX exclusive forever stuck in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the way GOG bring back those dead ports , I am surprised people expected anything more than 1:1 of the old game + fixing compatibility issues with modern hardware , there is an added bonus here of Cloud saves

GOG Just revive the dead ports and bring it to life digitally and make it compatible with modern Hardware and controllers , the port quality itself is the responsibility of the owner of that game and I bet in most cases as sad as it is but the developers usually don't care or if they care then there is a big chance they lost the source code , GOG just duct tape the games to work on Modern Hardware

Even thought I didn't expect much , but I am glad I can finally buy MGS1 on PC with easy two steps rather than hunting for old Physcial release

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Did it ever have a PC release before?

These seem to all be games previously released on PC that GOG made playable on newer systems and re-released with Konami's blessing. Same as Diablo and the original WarCraft duology last year.
Someone mentioned earlier that the PC port of MG2 had a lot of name changes and stuff or something? Maybe that is why
MG1 and MG2 were both originally MSX games. The only official western versions of either of them are the remasters included in MGS3 Subsistence, and that seems to have been the basis of the version of MG1 that's on GOG.

Edit: Slightly mistaken here, apparently the original MSX2 version of MG1 did come out in Europe in 1987. Maybe that was the version that got ported to PS2 in Subsistence. MG2 on the other hand wasn't released in English at all until the PS2 port. I'm guessing the version of MG1 on GOG though is based on the PS2 version since the title screen (which you can see on the GOG page) says "1987 2006 Konami."

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else this paves the way for the old PC ports of Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4, which I understand have been fan patched to hell and back.
Looking at the way GOG bring back those dead ports , I am surprised people expected anything more than 1:1 of the old game + fixing compatibility issues with modern hardware , there is an added bonus here of Cloud saves

GOG Just revive the dead ports and bring it to life digitally and make it compatible with modern Hardware and controllers , the port quality itself is the responsibility of the owner of that game and I bet in most cases as sad as it is but the developers usually don't care or if they care then there is a big chance they lost the source code , GOG just duct tape the games to work on Modern Hardware

Even thought I didn't expect much , but I am glad I can finally buy MGS1 on PC with easy two steps rather than hunting for old Physcial release
GOG has incorporated fan patches before. It's what they did with Thief and System Shock.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Even a barebones release of Silent Hill 2 PC on GOG would be amazing. Been thinking of biting the bullet on a physical version of SH2, but those prices... ugh.. I really wanna try the community enhanced edition fixes so bad.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The HD Collection would still be a better choice than this imo
That would have required full-fledged porting of those though. These games were already PC games, GOG just got them up and running on modern windows OS and now available digitally.

I completely agree, just the workload involved is completely different. You'd need a development studio to port the HD collection.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned earlier that the PC port of MG2 had a lot of name changes and stuff or something? Maybe that is why

Did they even cut it out of the MGS Collection? You mean the big collection that had all the games that released on PS3 right?
No, the PS2 collection that had 1-3 prior to MGS4s release. It lacks the second discs for Substance and Subsistence.

The PS3 collection has the HD Edition games in it, which of course lack the extra modes.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
The shooting on MGS1 feels a little off to me. Like in the Ocelot fight the socom wasn't snapping to him like it does on the PlayStation version. Still good times, pretty good for a guy with the same code as the boss.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
No, the PS2 collection that had 1-3 prior to MGS4s release. It lacks the second discs for Substance and Subsistence.

The PS3 collection has the HD Edition games in it, which of course lack the extra modes.
Substance didn't really have a second disc, so all of the actual game content is included in the collection. Document of MGS2 isn't included, though.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Having a hell of a time trying to get ReShade to talk to the native PC release, might have to jump into this voodoo wrapper nonsense myself 😭

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Bare bones releases they may be but I'm always happy when GOG make this kind of effort to get the physical releases of the past available digitally.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
MGS 2 works perfectly fine with my Xbox One controller using the MGS 2 fix from GitHub.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this much appricated!
You should ask the feature / guides team if they would do a how to make these ports run the best way possible with fan patches and settings.
I assume lots of folks will be searing for such a guide.
That's a lovely suggestion.

Hope this makes a few more people aware of this lovely fix.

Anyway, here you go friend'o:

www.ign.com

How To Make Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Look Better on PC - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Guide - IGN

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, MGS 2's ultimate edition, is available on PC through GoG. With it on PC, you can download a custom mod to make the whole

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Figured out what was keeping my control from working, something with Steam's control configuration utility. I just signed out of Steam and it works fine now. Got up to the Psycho Mantis fight. I have a lot of fondness for this game, but it's aged pretty poorly in some respects.

It's still crazy to me how the best stealth puzzles in the whole game are the first two or three rooms. Walking through a puddle sets guards off? There are no puddles in the game after that first room. Guards see your footprints in the snow? Not a concern after the heliport. Not to mention nearly every stealth sequence in the game after those first two or three rooms are pretty linear and don't give you a ton of wiggle room in terms of solutions. It's like how the Statue of Liberty level in Deus Ex is pretty much the only one with memorable gameplay moments, because people stop replaying it after that.

Having to keep a keycard equipped every time you wanna open a door is a pain in the ass. Especially when you're under fire or in a gas room and have to unequip rations or the gas mask. It's one of many improvements Twin Snakes brought to the game. That Verge article is right about it being the superior version.

Gunplay is pretty bad, and getting the silencer for the SOCOM seems fairly useless.

And Mei Ling's voice direction is just so bad and over the top.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
MGS2 working pretty well after installing the fan fix. MGS1 on the other hand is an absolute disaster. Can't get the controller to work well at all. The default mapping is a mess.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
MGS2 working pretty well after installing the fan fix. MGS1 on the other hand is an absolute disaster. Can't get the controller to work well at all. The default mapping is a mess.
Use Antimicro, Joy2Key, Steam Input (this is what I use) or anything else that allows you to map gamepad inputs to the keyboard and map the controller to keyboard keys. It's a shitty workaround but the end result is perfect.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
EiyxTC1XgAEk--n

Bought MGS1 and MGS2 (Not a fan of MG1 but understand its importance).
Hope we see more MGS come to PC along with the SH games that already have ports.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
MGS1&2 are my favorite games of all time and I have no way to play them. Can I use my Dual Shock 4 connected with a USB cable with the fan fixes/patches for MGS1 and 2 or are these a no go?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Anyone got a remapping buttons guide for MGS1 to which buttons go to match the PS1 on an Xbox controller using antimicro?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
That would have required full-fledged porting of those though. These games were already PC games, GOG just got them up and running on modern windows OS and now available digitally.

I completely agree, just the workload involved is completely different. You'd need a development studio to port the HD collection.

I know. I'm just saying that in the case of the user I quote it would probably be better for him to keep playing the HD Collection instead of switching .

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Try to run the games directly from the .exe where the local files are stored, that worked for me.
I was running the games through GOG and i couldn't use my controller either.
Now i need to see how to configure it via Steam, the custom config from the mgs2 fan patch doesn't seem to work as a non-steam game.
I just noticed that MGS VR Missions is included with the first game too, it's a separate executable.
Also the real life video footage from MGS1 actually works here,it didn't work in the original pc port iirc.
Let's cross our fingers that MG2, MGS3 and PW are next, don't half-ass it now Konami.

I'd rather have a port of the Legacy Collection but it feels nice to have more MGS games available at least.
MGS.png

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna refund my MGS1 purchase. I can't get either my SN30 Pro or Switch Pro Controller to work, even after running the game through Steam. I don't want to download a bunch of third party software to make controllers work on Windows. It's nutty that this is still how things are done in 2020.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna refund my MGS1 purchase. I can't get either my SN30 Pro or Switch Pro Controller to work, even after running the game through Steam. I don't want to download a bunch of third party software to make controllers work on Windows. It's nutty that this is still how things are done in 2020.
Have you tried the patch posted upthread?

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 fan patches for the best experience

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uzupedro Hey man, would you be so kind to put the links to the fan patches for MGS 1 and 2 in the OP? Lots of people are missing them.

github.com

Home

Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix
Oh awesome, thanks! I'll give this a whirl and hopefully things work. Really want to play this game again.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Uzupedro Hey man, would you be so kind to put the links to the fan patches for MGS 1 and 2 in the OP? Lots of people are missing them.

github.com

Home

Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix
Done and I made a threadmark too just in case someone misses in the OP.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Minor issues with MGS1 aside this is still the best way to play this game at the moment, IMO.

Way easier to set up than an emulator, and fixing the controller support via Steam Input takes but a few moments and works 100% perfect.

In Hardware mode, stealth camo effects make the game lag, but it can run at very high resolutions.

In software mode, everything works fine but resolution is locked at 480p (still higher res than the original ps1 release and it is very noticeable).

Being able to fully skip codec conversations with one button press is a godsend and easily makes this the definitive version of this game right now.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten MGS1 or 2 to work with a Dual Shock 4 using the fan patches, antimicro or steam?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So:

How do MGS 1 & 2 play on KB&M? Do they work with an 360 controller?
Do they work fine out the gate or is there a recommended patch/fix?

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I have a lot of love for MGS1, but replaying through it today I'm reminded that it's not really a good game. I constantly find myself going "Oh fuck, right this part." But as relatively short as this game is, it's really mostly bad parts.

-The Ocelot fight is terrible.
-The tank fight is just as bad
-Getting through the storage building is a pain
-The electric floor/gas room is a bad puzzle
-The ninja fight is tedious
-The Mantis fight is iconic, but in this version you have to switch between KB and controller instead of controller inputs
-The wolf hallway sucks
-Then you gotta backtrack all the way to the armory for the rifle, and go all the way back
-The torture sequence and waiting for Otacon to save you sucks
-Once again, you have to trek back from the first building all the way back to Sniper Wolf's hallway
-The stairwell with infinitely spawning guards is maybe the worst part of this whole game

That's just what I've replayed today. I love the story, and specific moments and segments, but this game is more trash than treasure.