• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I know, but I'm curious where this PC port specifically came from. Did they actually go through the trouble of porting it now (and if, why not MG2 as well), or is it something that was already ported years ago but had been left unreleased for whatever reason until now. It's really weird.
These were ported many years ago, never released digitally and GOG is a service that regularly releases old PC games digitally.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It will be whatever version they sold in that same release 18 years ago, so it'll be the the USA versions in that case.

Pardon the choice of video but it seems appropriate given the approach to these releases.

Yes that's right. They're selling an emulator and rom pack that they originally sold 18 years ago.

It's an 18 year old emulator.

It's an emulator from 18 years ago.

Goddamn.

So the user above you is saying that these games are on Steam in better quality. I guess we shouldn't bother with the GOG release then?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can only assume that those people don't like you.

The original MGS1 is a masterpiece and is what basically kickstarted modern cinematic games.

Twin Snakes is uh... just kinda there.
I honestly think they were trolling you. Twin Snakes is notoriously bad.
Lmao, I've heard it many times in conversations. As well as in YouTube videos about the franchise. I didn't know people don't like The Twin Snakes 🤷‍♂️.

It's a matter of taste. The remake has a lot of the extra control features of MGS2, but with the same map and encounters as MGS1, so if you decide to use those features, it kind of "breaks" the original intended experience and makes everything easier. The cutscenes were also totally redone and feel more in line with the zaniness of later games, rather than being (relatively speaking) more grounded like MGS1.

Personally I prefer The Twin Snakes over MGS1, but they're fairly different experiences.
Yeah this falls more in line with what I know of it. I guess that's still no MGS1 for me then, seeing as it's not on PS4 and not on Xbox either.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I want to hop in, but I also want to wait for the community to fix the lack of triggers in MGS1. Glad these are available and hope Konami and GOG do more ports if these do well.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Can anyone buy and play the Collection to see what version/releases it has? I'm particularly interested in knowing if its Castlevania 3 is the Japanese release with better music.
I'm pretty sure it's only the US roms.
If you want the JP versions you better get Castlevania Anniversary Collection. (same for Contra).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
These were ported many years ago, never released digitally and GOG is a service that regularly releases old PC games digitally.
He is talking about the MG1 port. It's the version running inside MGS3 Subsistence (as seen in the screenshots), so it being standalone on PC, and no sign of MG2 is weird.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
We were talking about the MSX version Metal Gear 1, which definitely hasn't been released on PC before (aside from the MSDOS port of the NES game), not digitally or otherwise. I just find it really odd that there's now a seemingly new port of MG1 for PC, but not MG2 for whatever reason.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
For those wondering what this port of MGS 2 looks like, along with V's fix (widescreen support and other patches), you can watch some of my gameplay here:

www.ign.com

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - 18 Minutes of PC Gameplay - IGN

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance has finally been re-released on PC thanks to GOG! Check out these 18 minutes of lovely 1440P/60FPS gameplay footage. MGS2 V's Fix was used for this capture https://github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix.
Thanks for this much appricated!
You should ask the feature / guides team if they would do a how to make these ports run the best way possible with fan patches and settings.
I assume lots of folks will be searing for such a guide.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, I've heard it many times in conversations. As well as in YouTube videos about the franchise. I didn't know people don't like The Twin Snakes 🤷‍♂️.

Yeah this falls more in line with what I know of it. I guess that's still no MGS1 for me then, seeing as it's not on PS4 and not on Xbox either.

Yeah, TTS is pretty well disliked amongst the hardcore MG community, as Silcon Knights (the crew that made the remake) ruined the cutscenes with trashy bullet time slowdown effects, batshit insane acrobatics and such, which changed the vibe and feeling of the game completely compared to the masterpiece of the original. I cannot emphasize enough for you to play the original first before you ever try TTS.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I guess. I don't really understand why they couldn't use the HD remasters for this. Feels like something that would have easily made its money back.

The HD Collection doesn't include the first MGS. But yes, why they didn't port that alongside the first MGS or why did they port Metal Gear but not Metal Gear 2 is kind of baffling but whatevs

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Metal Gear available and not Metal Gear 2?

Don't tell me it's a glorified NES emulator with the ROM.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, TTS is pretty well disliked amongst the hardcore MG community, as Silcon Knights (the crew that made the remake) ruined the cutscenes with trashy bullet time slowdown effects, batshit insane acrobatics and such, which changed the vibe and feeling of the game completely compared to the masterpiece of the original. I cannot emphasize enough for you to play the original first before you ever try TTS.
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. Let's hope it comes to PS5 then.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering what this port of MGS 2 looks like, along with V's fix (widescreen support and other patches), you can watch some of my gameplay here:

www.ign.com

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance has finally been re-released on PC thanks to GOG! Check out these 18 minutes of lovely 1440P/60FPS gameplay footage. MGS2 V's Fix was used for this capture https://github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix.

Thanks for this, it looks pretty good with the fix applied. I don't want to reward Konami for dumping out a game that needs a fan fix to work properly, but at the same time this footage gets me kind of hyped :P

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2 currently needs a ton of fan patches to get it looking and playing good.

We better hope they don't just bring over the old PC version with no work at all...
I'm happy to install fan patches. Did that with the Infinity Engine games for years.

I just want a legit way to buy the PC version. I haven't bought a physical PC game in a decade and I don't plan on breaking that streak.

Last edited:

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
There were two rumours, one that these games were going to be release (obviously it came true), and the other that there's a full MGS1 remake exclusive to PS5 which... well, hasn't been disproven yet, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The former was more of a leak than a rumor. New ratings from the Taiwanese rating board leaked for these ports. That came out before the other rumor, which is that there's going to be a PS5/PC remake of MGS1, along with remasters of 2-4. The source for that rumor is a small Youtube channel.

I figured these were real, but I highly doubt that second rumor.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
He is talking about the MG1 port. It's the version running inside MGS3 Subsistence (as seen in the screenshots), so it being standalone on PC, and no sign of MG2 is weird.
We were talking about the MSX version Metal Gear 1, which definitely hasn't been released on PC before (aside from the MSDOS port of the NES game), not digitally or otherwise. I just find it really odd that there's now a seemingly new port of MG1 for PC, but not MG2 for whatever reason.
Ah my bad

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to install fan patches. Did that with the Infinity Engine games for years.

I just want a legit way to buy the PC version. I haven't bought a physical PC game in a decade and I don't plan on breaking that streak.
Don't get me wrong. I played through Silent Hill 2 on PC recently at 4k and it looked amazing.
I did need to install about 6 different fan patches and fixes though.
Also it can't go high than 30fps without breaking.
There is so much that needs addressing in my opinion before they puyt Silent Hill 2 up for sale again.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The first MGS is the only decent game in the series so I'm extremely pumped to play it on PC again. Can't wait.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Don't hate me, but I am not a big fan of MGS2, and since I have that in multiple versions (PS2, Xbox 360, PS3 Legacy Collection), I think I'll probably skip that.

But I can't own enough copies of MGS1, that game is a classic. Nearly 22 years from it's original release date. I'll be getting that one for sure, TGIF!

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
So I install the Vs fix for MGS2, but apparently, the game pushes me to start screen every time I try and go to a menu

Not sure how to fix it

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
This is a huge surprise. I would never have thought that Konami would actually acknowledge the existence of their old games, let alone let them be released DRM-Free on GOG. Most Japanese publishers love DRM. Capcom and Sega won't release their games on GOG, and Square Enix won't release any of their Japanese games.

For those of you in Japan, the games won't show up in the store for you, but you can still add the games to your library if gifted from another region.

Hopefully this is a sign that more Japanese publishers are open to embracing DRM-Free releases for their legacy titles.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

www.ign.com

ooh looks goods, no issue buying one of the best games of all time again for £8

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
don't understand why they'd re-release an 18-year-old collection rather than the new collections that are only a year old, but 🤷‍♂️

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
so this is the old retail PC version and not the remastered version by Bluepoint right? The lack of modern controller support is kinda telling

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would release the entine MGS collection. But I guess MGS3 not having a pc pprt already puts a damper on that...

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to impressions from people here on how these ports run and how good the controller support is!