• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
GOG originally stood for Good Old Games.

One of the things they do is bring older PC games that aren't compatible with newer PCs/Windows and get them working again.
I mean I get that.
But if you are bringing all these games back, why not put out the better versions?
This feels really odd.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Someone test how the kb/m controls work in MGS2.

Is still arrow keys to aim in first person, but move the mouse to move the sword? lol

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think people are misunderstanding what's happening here. GOG is (usually) for old PC games buttoned up and made available on modern systems. That's all this is. They just took the PC versions and made them work in 2020. It's entirely possible this was something pursued by GOG themselves so these versions were easily available.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting that on the GOG store page it lists developer as TOSE, the MG Wiki says Digital Dialect handled the MG Integral PC Port, was it under contract to Microsoft at the time? Did MGS come out for PC in Japan at all?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the originals; do Solid and 2 still hold up? How are the KB-mouse controls?

I'm the kind of person who thinks classic Tomb Raider's grid platforming is genius and still plays excellently, so controls being outdated isn't a concern

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_n1gqf4D27b1sdqajoo1_400.gif
Woah. Emperor Calus origin story...... That Kojima, he did it again!

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, this probably isn't the best way to experience these classic titles. If you want to play the original Metal Gear Solid, I suggest playing Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, a remake released exclusively on the GameCube.
Well they're not wrong.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I get that.
But if you are bringing all these games back, why not put out the better versions?
This feels really odd.

Only reason I can think is that they're looking to spend as little on this as possible. The HD Collection is still PS3/360 only, so it'd take more porting work than just uploading the old PC ports to GOG and leaving it up to buyers find the fan patches that make them playable.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh its just the old PC ports after all. I will wait for community fixes.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Only reason I can think is that they're looking to spend as little on this as possible. The HD Collection is still PS3/360 only, so it'd take more porting work than just uploading the old PC ports to GOG and leaving it up to buyers find the fan patches that make them playable.
It is Konami so I guess I should expect the least possible.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the originals; do Solid and 2 still hold up? How are the KB-mouse controls?

I'm the kind of person who thinks classic Tomb Raider's grid platforming is genius and still plays excellently, so controls being outdated isn't a concern
Considering your stance on Tomb Raider's controls, you will be more than fine with those of MGS lol. Their controls are perfect for their gameplay design.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I mean I get that.
This feels really odd.
The HD collection was never ported fully to PC, whereas these original versions were. For this, they would have made the effort to make sure it runs, but not have to deal with porting over a whole other code base.

I would love to see MGS3 and 4 brought over so I could finally play all of the main games on PC without emulators, but I don't expect that to ever happen.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This thread confuses me, haha. People have always told me to play The Twin Snakes as the best way to experience MGS1. I haven't gotten a copy yet since it's super expensive, but is this not the case? I don't have a PC fwiw.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

I can't speak for the PC releases, but MGS1 and MGS2 do hold up well as stealth-action games.

This thread confuses me, haha. People have always told me to play The Twin Snakes as the best way to experience MGS1. I haven't gotten a copy yet since it's super expensive, but is this not the case? I don't have a PC fwiw.
It's a matter of taste. The remake has a lot of the extra control features of MGS2, but with the same map and encounters as MGS1, so if you decide to use those features, it kind of "breaks" the original intended experience and makes everything easier. The cutscenes were also totally redone and feel more in line with the zaniness of later games, rather than being (relatively speaking) more grounded like MGS1.

Personally I prefer The Twin Snakes over MGS1, but they're fairly different experiences.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the time to finally play the first Metal Gear Solid...

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just when I thought that I couldn't play the original MGS they release it for GoG. Bought that shit instantly lol. It sucks because for some reason Twin Snakes could've been great had they not gone down the action/bullet time route.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can only assume that those people don't like you.

The original MGS1 is a masterpiece and is what basically kickstarted modern cinematic games.

Twin Snakes is uh... just kinda there.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
It's the same version they had in MGS3 Subsistence, you can see it by font used in the pics.
I know, but I'm curious where this PC port specifically came from. Did they actually go through the trouble of porting it now (and if, why not MG2 as well), or is it something that was already ported years ago but had been left unreleased for whatever reason until now. It's really weird.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Glad to see them made available for sure. Classic games like these get to live on! Good news all round.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not putting MG and MG2 out as one pack seems like a missed opportunity. Throw in Ghost Babel and it would be even better. Still, if Konami wants to dump their catalog on PC, I'll take it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Two of the absolute best video games ever made. It might take a little while to get used to the controls (I honestly have no idea how they'd play on m/kb), but once you get up to speed they're incredible.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
www.gog.com

GOG.com

Download the best classic and new games on Windows, Mac & Linux. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies and 30-day money-back guarantee.

Vania/Contra collection is Castlevania, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Contra and Super C.
About that collection, it doesn't make much sense because the Contra and Castlevania Anniversary Collections exist, and those have all those games and more, plus the quality of the ports is superior.
It's Steam only, but still.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone remember during the hype of MGS3, it was listed on PC by IGN? Wonder if they just assumed from MGS1-2 it would eventually end up there or if it was supposed to be there.

Wow I just realised there's people probably posting in this thread that weren't alive in 2003.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Does this version of MGS2 support proper 16:9? No stretching?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Going off that Verge article, gamers really could stand to have a conversation about what actually constitutes preservation and making an older work accessible.

Remakes like Twin Snakes, RE2 and 3, or even the Crash and Spyro trilogies... Are new games. They might pull from the original titles to varying degrees, even lifting the entire design... But when you strip out all of the arts and assets of a work and rebuild them, you've created something new. This isn't a qualitative statement, many of these remakes have been wonderful. But we can't insist that they replace the original works, or act like preserving those original works is an inadequate way to release them.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

I honestly think they were trolling you. Twin Snakes is notoriously bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone buy and play the Collection to see what version/releases it has? I'm particularly interested in knowing if its Castlevania 3 is the Japanese release with better music.

It will be whatever version they sold in that same release 18 years ago, so it'll be the the USA versions in that case.

Pardon the choice of video but it seems appropriate given the approach to these releases.

Yes that's right. They're selling an emulator and rom pack that they originally sold 18 years ago.

It's an 18 year old emulator.

It's an emulator from 18 years ago.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for reviews and reports on how these ports work, see the full breakdowns on PC Gaming Wiki, etc.

$10 a pop seems a bit much considering I still have my Playstation versions.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Is there seriously no way to put MGS1 in windowed mode? It's not even an option in the settings. GOG forces a black background surrounding the game.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To anyone thinking about playing MGS 2: Substance, you should download V's fix for MGS2.

It's a custom-built installer/launcher which includes a widescreen fix, controller support, configurable graphics options, and more.

And yes, it does work with the GOG release.

github.com

GitHub - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix: Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2

Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix
Will download this. Thank you

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
For those wondering what this port of MGS 2 looks like, along with V's fix (widescreen support and other patches), you can watch some of my gameplay here:

www.ign.com

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - 18 Minutes of PC Gameplay - IGN

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance has finally been re-released on PC thanks to GOG! Check out these 18 minutes of lovely 1440P/60FPS gameplay footage. MGS2 V's Fix was used for this capture https://github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for reviews and reports on how these ports work, see the full breakdowns on PC Gaming Wiki, etc.

$10 a pop seems a bit much considering I still have my Playstation versions.
I mean, the info has been there since 2000 and 2002, these are not new: