• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Metal Gear
OUTER HEAVEN is the name of a heavily armed land in the depths of southern Africa where the dreadful weapon called METAL GEAR is developed. It is the mission of SOLID SNAKE, one of the members of the secret army "FOX HOUND" to sneak into OUTER HEAVEN are destroy METAL GEAR.

GO AHEAD SOLID SNAKE!

Metal Gear Solid
You are Snake, a government agent on a mission to regain control of a secret nuclear weapons base from terrorist hands.

Now the international best-selling PlayStation game comes to the PC with better graphics, added features, and new gameplay modes! Unlike anything you've played before, Metal Gear Solid introduces a new genre of gaming where ninja-like stealth and cool head are your best weapons for survival

• VR Missions Game included!
  • Optional 1st person play mode thrusts you into the action from the moment you suit up.
  • Multiple game controller support and improved quick-save function for ease of play.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Solid Snake returns in Metal Gear Solid 2® Substance, the ultimate edition of Metal Gear Solid ® 2: Sons of Liberty, with all-new game modes, hidden characters, and storylines. Top-secret weapons technology is being mysteriously transported under cover of an oil tanker to an unknown location. Armed with an arsenal of new weapons, supplies and stealth maneuvers, it's up to Snake to infiltrate the transport and keep this deadly weapon of mass destruction from falling into the wrong hands!

• 350 VR missions and 150 alternative missions - SUBSTANCE Exclusive
  • Play through 5 new Snake tales involving Solid Snake - SUBSTANCE Exclusive
  • Unlock new playable characters and game modes - SUBSTANCE Exclusive
  • Contains the entire Metal Gear Solid®2: Sons of Liberty game plus the debut of the Casting Theater and Boss Survival mode - SUBSTANCE Exclusive
  • Utilize stealth and infiltration methods, such as diving somersaults, hanging from ledges and using disguises.
  • Fully interactive environment where bullets pierce steam pipes, smoke reveals laser beams and wet shoes leave footprints
  • Powerful musical score composed by Harry Gregson - Williams (Armageddon, The Rock)

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 fan patches for the best experience:

MGS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears..._full_release_metal_gear_solid_1_integral_pc/

MGS2:
https://github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix/wiki

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
To anyone thinking about playing MGS 2: Substance, you should download V's fix for MGS2.

It's a custom-built installer/launcher which includes a widescreen fix, controller support, configurable graphics options, and more.

And yes, it does work with the GOG release.

github.com

GitHub - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix: Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2

Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice! Hopefully these versions turn out great, will wait to hear the verdict before dipping into this :)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone thinking about playing MGS 2: Substance, you should download V's fix for MGS2.

It's a custom-built installer/launcher which includes a widescreen fix, controller support, configurable graphics options, and more.

github.com

GitHub - VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix: Unofficial fix for PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2

Bless up! Thanks for that!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess. I don't really understand why they couldn't use the HD remasters for this. Feels like something that would have easily made its money back.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_n1gqf4D27b1sdqajoo1_400.gif

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

github.com

Just holding on to this because I know these PC ports aren't the best supposedly.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting an X on launch day, I see that the MGS HD collection is backwards compatible. Wouldn't that actually be better since it the HD remaster?

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Same thought, i'd be all over a port of the HD collection but a rerelease of the original ports is... nice to have i guess?
Good, but it looks like they just did the lowest effort possible thing and called it a day.

To be fair, isn't this GOG's business model? They release old games. Not remakes or remasters of old games. At most, they include software to improve compatibility with modern computers.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

github.com

This is the equivalent fix for MGS1:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I guess. I don't really understand why they couldn't use the HD remasters for this. Feels like something that would have easily made its money back.
In the case of MGS2 and 3, they were already ported to the NVIDIA Shield 2 years ago, really don't understand why they just don't do the same for PC/Switch

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

If you are looking for a better version of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, unfortunately, it did not receive an HD rerelease, but there is an HD version of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, which is available in both the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (the Xbox 360 version, which is also backwards compatible on Xbox One, by the way) or Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (a PS3-exclusive compilation of all the main installments from the Metal Gear Solid series).
Not sure what they're on about there, the MGS2 in the HD collection is Substance.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting an X on launch day, I see that the MGS HD collection is backwards compatible. Wouldn't that actually be better since it the HD remaster?

Well it doesn't have MGS1 on it for a start.

But the MGS2 and 3 HD ports are great. 720p only though I think? (they didn't ever get a X Enhanced patch)

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

As much as I'd love an HD re-release of the Twin Snakes for the sake of completion/curiosity - I disagree with this article. TTS certainly isn't a 1-to-1 remake and looks and plays very differently by virtue of essentially playing like an MGS2 mod/TC that's recreating MGS1, and that's before we even get to the cutscenes.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
"however, trigger buttons are not possible to bind for XBOX 360 and XBOX One controllers."

Huh???

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. MGS is one of the few franchises I feel like I'm missing out on as a PC guy, so these are long overdue. Figure hoping for 3/4 is kind of a pipe dream, though.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Quickly reading over, it's not a comment on the port. They just don't like how PlayStation 1 games looked and even suggested playing Twin Snakes instead.
yikes

anyhoo, original mgs1 is perfect with its playstation 1 look and all, if this release sucks modders will polish it up in no time, I'm just glad there's an easy way to get it now

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
To be fair, isn't this GOG's business model? They release old games. Not remakes or remasters of old games. At most, they include software to improve compatibility with modern computers.

You are correct, however, when there is a clearly better version that could have seen a pc release, this just isn't exactly a news that gets me excited

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess they are indeed the lowest effort possible ports? Don't even come with fan patches included or anything like that?

I'll pass. What a bummer, I'd LOVE to replay 1-4 on a platform that's not PS3.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the PC version of MGS2 worse than the PS2 version? (I renenver a friend back in the day having major compatibility issues with it as well)

I have MGS1 on PC, but honestly know nothing about it, never felt a need to play it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Happy to see this but the lack of Metal Gear 2 remains a serious bummer. More people need to play that game. It's like someone from 2009 went back in time to 1990 to make a video game. I'm passionate about it.

Also lol at the Verge article encouraging people to play Twin Snakes instead. A modern and easily accessible rerelease of MGS1 on PC is a gift to be treasured.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I didn't even know there was PC versions of MGS 1/2! Color me surprised.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
These are the old versions? Do they even have controller support etc?

EDIT: MGS says multiple controller support.

Alright I'll get MGS1 and give it a go.

Last edited: