• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's overestimating the importance of the writing. I think there is a pretty big chunk of people (me included) who like MGS DESPITE it's horrid writing. I'd love a Metal Gear Game with someone else at the helm

At that point you'd just get a generic stealth game, though. Why use Metal Gear for that? Why not just make a new IP that isn't going to be compared unfavorably to peak Kojima?

Kojima's weirdness and attention to detail permeates every level of the experience, from AI behavior to weapon design to things like locomotion. Take that away and you have nothing.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Konami is working on the Edens Zero game(s).

Nah, it's a small stake.

But it is funny that the platform holder with an actual stake in the company, who has actually published a Konami IP in the past few years that then went on to be Konami's most successful game ever in Japan isn't even in the conversation when people are deciding how to divvy them up lol
Cause they're only thinking of metal gear and silent hill, despite IPs like contra, castlevania and yugioh etc. being more associated with nintendo

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Not super fond of the consolidation of the industry but someone buying out Konami's game division would be a rescue mission

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not super fond of the consolidation of the industry but someone buying out Konami's game division would be a rescue mission
the kind of company that would spend money on Konami would either
  1. everything is still dead, but I Metal Gear and maybe Silent Hill and Castlevania would come back
  2. everything is mobile/gaas
I wonder how many people asking for a buy out is really just asking for a AAA(A) MG/SH/Castlevania game

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
until i see serious receipts i could give less of a dick about konami. there's only so many OEs i can pour on the headstone

MGS 1-4 re-release/remaster is about all i'm reasonably hoping for at this point

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
the kind of company that would spend money on Konami would either
  1. everything is still dead, but I Metal Gear and maybe Silent Hill and Castlevania would come back
  2. everything is mobile/gaas
I wonder how many people asking for a buy out is really just asking for a AAA(A) MG/SH/Castlevania game
1. That would at least get us back to the point where their main franchises are alive
2. It is worse than Mobile/gaas in its current form

bonus: What other franchises are there really that could be brought back ... and do you think Konami would actually do anything worthwhile with them?

I'm not even that much of a fan of konami's franchises ... it's just disheartening to see where they all are today.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Buying Konami would be an herculian task

For gaming you have litteraly nothing left but dead ips, also the second ip most wanted ip, Silent Hill, never sold well a part from the og
Mostly because Konami took to farming SH titles out to the cheapest bidders. It's worked great for Metal Gear and Contra too.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Some of my favorite gaming IPs of all time are Konami (Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Contra, Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, Zone of Enders at top of my list), so when I think about what they've become, it just breaks my heart.

I used to work for them as a QA tester many moons ago, and, uh, the less said about that experience, the better, but needless to say I've been disappointed and heartbroken at how far they've fallen in my eyes from being probably my favorite publisher, to becoming one I literally don't even think about until the folks in the PS thread start pining over a Silent Hill reboot (which is all the time these days XD XD ).

They really should just license out their IPs to studios that actually are passionate about making games in those IPs. If they're going to stop producing titles for consoles in those IPs, why just leave them all in limbo, or limited to gambling machines or mobile titles?

Also, just give us a Castlevania Legacy collection for the 16 and 32 bit titles already! I'd love to be able to play the GBA and DS Castlevania games on consoles, for example (I know the DS games would have to be adapted due to their touchscreen functionality for some of them, but I don't think that'd be a difficult ask). I already bought the Castlevania NES/GB/SNES/Master Drive and Contra Collections, but don't leave the rest of the series out in the cold, dammit!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. That would at least get us back to the point where their main franchises are alive
2. It is worse than Mobile/gaas in its current form

bonus: What other franchises are there really that could be brought back ... and do you think Konami would actually do anything worthwhile with them?

I'm not even that much of a fan of konami's franchises ... it's just disheartening to see where they all are today.
if the Sony rumors are anything to go by, it sounds like Konami would rather license the property than sell it. which makes sense to me. as for other IPs, outside of lower budgeted games like Bomberman, Contra, Momotaro Dentetsu, etc were, nothing really. but I think that further drives the purpose of the hypothetical purchase down. 1K+ people, 4 IPs, and a bunch of IPs that aren't too relevant right now; the only companies I can see being up for that is someone like Tencent, the company that brought Splash Damage, or some other investment firm. otherwise, license it, or make your own. Sony has Kojima in the room already, just make "Alloy Cog: Stealth Action" or whatever

May 10, 2019
dzJ2ms4.gif

Odd turn of events
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think this needed to be said but the fact that the direction this thread went and also how Twitter users reacted by posting "Konami is shutting down its gaming division" says a lot.

By the way, if Konami was shutting down its "gaming division" they would have announced extraordinary losses of billions of yen for the current fiscal year due to having to make employees redundant.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
They really should just license out their IPs to studios that actually are passionate about making games in those IPs. If they're going to stop producing titles for consoles in those IPs, why just leave them all in limbo, or limited to gambling machines or mobile titles?
That's actually what Sega has been doing, licensing their ip's to other studios that would have to do everything on their own, development, marketing and publishing, and that has been with both small indie projects as well as big ones like Shenmue III or Bayonetta 2/3, though this has been a double edge sword, with some great results and others that felt unpolished and lacking the ambition an actual Sega game would have had. Still, that would be much better than nothing with Konami

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually what Sega has been doing, licensing their ip's to other studios that would have to do everything on their own, development, marketing and publishing, and that has been with both small indie projects as well as big ones like Shenmue III or Bayonetta 2/3, though this has been a double edge sword, with some great results and others that felt unpolished and lacking the ambition an actual Sega game would have had. Still, that would be much better than nothing with Konami
the mixed results doesn't really damn sega as they'd gotten paid all the same and people point the finger at the devs rather than sega

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, I don't really see how it'd be a negative for Konami to do the same. They still own the IP, reap the benefits of licensing those IP out, and don't have to worry about the overhead of actually developing the games in house.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Konami does license IP for console/PC games. They did it for ZOE2 PSVR (Cygames) and Momotaru Dentetsu 3DS (Nintendo). Not to mention all the retro games licensed to Hamster (Arcade Archives), Nintendo (Virtual Console, Switch Online) or D4 (Project Egg). That's why I feel like the Sony MGS/SH rumors feel like they could have merit, it's totally something Konami would do.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This thread has been a pretty wild reaction to an announcement that Konami, like pretty much every other Japanese publisher in the last 10 years, is undergoing a corporate restructuring to consolidate their in-house teams. I don't remember everyone having a meltdown when Nintendo merged EAD and SPD into EPD. I guess I do kind of remember the "Square is canceling everything except Final Fantasy" reactions when they restructured their 12 business divisions into 4 though.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
if the Sony rumors are anything to go by, it sounds like Konami would rather license the property than sell it. which makes sense to me. as for other IPs, outside of lower budgeted games like Bomberman, Contra, Momotaro Dentetsu, etc were, nothing really. but I think that further drives the purpose of the hypothetical purchase down. 1K+ people, 4 IPs, and a bunch of IPs that aren't too relevant right now; the only companies I can see being up for that is someone like Tencent, the company that brought Splash Damage, or some other investment firm. otherwise, license it, or make your own. Sony has Kojima in the room already, just make "Alloy Cog: Stealth Action" or whatever
I'd be down with licensing

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
I would like to see them licensing hudson games, like Star Soldier, also Bomberman R was nice but still inferior to basically all bomberman games

Bomberman had such cool spin offs when Hudson soft was alive