• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're obviously just saving some pennies so they can contract Tim Rogers to localise Tokimeki Memorial!

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
put pes on switch you cowards

even if it's a f2p version.

I'm sad there's never really been a decent portable football game that had full controls. even fifa football (the closest thing) on the vita came out the year before EA overhauled the gameplay.

Last edited:

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
All these god damn rumours of a sony exclusive mgs remake and Silent Hill game...or Microsoft buying Konami.. they all suck. Fuck this new wave of purchasing exclusives.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see Konami making a new IP ever again. Momotaro proves that they can likely find success licensing out their extensive catalogue.

I just want Bomberman to be safe.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami is making more money than ever with their current strategy of strong mobile games + smaller budget releases of classic ip on switch and consoles. They're not going to move away from that. People ought to accept this reality that's already been in place since five years now.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
EslXf6tXYAMocYc

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Silent Hill's total sales across the entire series are lower than 10 million units, I'm pretty sure. There are more mainline Silent Hill games than Metal Gear Solid games and yet each SH sold significantly less copies per installment than each MGS. The series just isn't that big.

By comparison, RE is one of Capcom's strongest performers, even when it doesn't do that well. It's not a huge surprise Capcom is putting a lot of money and effort into RE compared to Konami with SH.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see Konami making a new IP ever again. Momotaro proves that they can likely find success licensing out their extensive catalogue.

I just want Bomberman to be safe.

They actually have a new IP announced for Switch
www.gematsu.com

Solomon Program launches this winter in Japan

Solomon Program, the Konami-developed monster battle game that was announced via a demo release in CoroCoro Comic in January, will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop this winter, the latest i…

Probably should have come out by now though...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kojima always have co-writers though? Shuyo could take over, unless he joined the new KojiPro too

He did have co-writers, but I really can't imagine a full-sized MGS title without Kojima's creative voice behind it. It'll just feel like a pale imitation. Kojima is too fucking weird to just cut him out of the equation and not expect things to change completely.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
My ten cents is someone's about to buy them.

Actually something like this says kind of the opposite. If someone is looking at you as a purchase, you tend to not make a lot of moves. They'll be looking at your books and your businesses, and that takes time and you usually don't want to undergo a lot of drastic changes in that time. Imagine making an offer on a house and then before closing finding out that the owner was tearing down walls and remodeling the whole place.

Japan is, as ever, different, and China is China, but still. I'd think if someone had reached an agreement to purchase Konami, but they wanted to consolidate dev teams, then they'd have done it themselves instead of saying "we'll take it, but you need to reorganize it first". Or maybe they're going to reorg and then after that's done and they're more streamlined they'll start looking for a new daddy then, but it feels like there's a step or two missing somewhere in the middle there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Actually something like this says kind of the opposite. If someone is looking at you as a purchase, you tend to not make a lot of moves. They'll be looking at your books and your businesses, and that takes time and you usually don't want to undergo a lot of drastic changes in that time. Imagine making an offer on a house and then before closing finding out that the owner was tearing down walls and remodeling the whole place.

Japan is, as ever, different, and China is China, but still. I'd think if someone had reached an agreement to purchase Konami, but they wanted to consolidate dev teams, then they'd have done it themselves instead of saying "we'll take it, but you need to reorganize it first". Or maybe they're going to reorg and then after that's done and they're more streamlined they'll start looking for a new daddy then, but it feels like there's a step or two missing somewhere in the middle there.

Agreed. You don't make huge restructuring changes like that, and lay off TONS OF PEOPLE, if you're looking to keep your value high in order to get as much money as possible in a buyout.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Agreed. You don't make huge restructuring changes like that, and lay off TONS OF PEOPLE, if you're looking to keep your value high in order to get as much money as possible in a buyout.

Yeah this feels more like consolidating their development teams to have a tighter focus on specific franchises or types of games. Could mean some IP revivals, could mean more focus on a specific console or region, could mean more mobile gacha games. But it certainly doesn't mean Konami is shuttering games and selling off all their IP.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I understand that people miss MGS, Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Suikoden, but Konami is doing well with a lot of games that most people here don't play.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Initial thoughts: If this leads to Suikoden HD series re-releases then I welcome it.

Oct 27, 2017
So what does this even mean? Have Konami shut down their gaming dev divisions? Or just merged them? Have Sony bought Silent Hill and MGS? Have MS bought Konami? Or have Konami bought Google?

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Meaning when this thing is over, pachinko is gonna explode! Seriously, I don't see Japanese giving up on it.
Bingo

When Japan's first "stay at home" finished, literally day one several hours before they opened, Pachinko places had lines in the hundreds. For all the crap ERA gives pachinko, and Konami only for some reason despite literally any slightly popular franchise having several versions of machines, it really is a big past time for many people...
It won't. Pachinko decline started before Covid.

230393.png

Same for Konami.

3e7lo4y.png

And many pachinko parlors were still working during spring/summer.
www.reuters.com

Many of Japan's pachinko parlours stay open despite state of emergency

As stores have closed across Japan during a state of emergency, some pachinko parlours remain defiantly open, sparking concern the noisy gambling halls could undermine the government's fight against the novel coronavirus.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
All these god damn rumours of a sony exclusive mgs remake and Silent Hill game...or Microsoft buying Konami.. they all suck. Fuck this new wave of purchasing exclusives.
I usually understand this kind of discontent, but not in this specific instance.

Here's Konami's PS4 releases through 2020:

Outside of PES, it's been Metal Gear and almost nothing else of note. So basically the choice is these exclusive deals or nothing.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
He did have co-writers, but I really can't imagine a full-sized MGS title without Kojima's creative voice behind it. It'll just feel like a pale imitation. Kojima is too fucking weird to just cut him out of the equation and not expect things to change completely.
Kojima is the rare example of a well-known auteur in this industry, sure, but that doesn't mean MGS has to die.

That'd be like saying Ghost in The Shell SAC, which I'd argue is better than the original movie, shouldn't've happened because Masamune Shirow didn't write it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is the rare example of a well-known auteur in this industry, sure, but that doesn't mean MGS has to die.

That'd be like saying Ghost in The Shell SAC, which I'd argue is better than the original movie, shouldn't've happened because Masamune Shirow didn't write it.

I would argue MGS is already dead and there's no reason to dig it up just to keep it going. There's no other stories left to tell. Let it rest.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world doesn't need a MGS reboot, and Konami seems to agree on that. Sometimes a corpse is better left alone.

It's okay for a franchise to end. There's nothing wrong with moving on.
if the sony rumor is true, I wouldn't want to be stuck with remakes to end the series. especially if they show that the gameplay is still in some amount of demand. whether they replace Solid Snake or not, it'd be worthwhile to attempt something new

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
I usually understand this kind of discontent, but not in this specific instance.

Here's Konami's PS4 releases through 2020:

Outside of PES, it's been Metal Gear and almost nothing else of note. So basically the choice is these exclusive deals or nothing.
PES and a baseball game made by the powerpro team, and as of recent, Bomberman

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I wish the would close their gaming division for good and just sold the IPs to other publishers. They've been sitting on great IPs and haven't done them justice in more than a decade.

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
Yeah, I think the greater point is that people hear "Konami" and they think of MGS and consider it to be in the same league as Capcom, Sega, etc. But in reality, they are a very niche publisher with minimal output in recent years.
not even recent. since around the end of the ps2/beginning of the ps3 era, their output has been on a steep decline.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I think that's overestimating the importance of the writing. I think there is a pretty big chunk of people (me included) who like MGS DESPITE it's horrid writing. I'd love a Metal Gear Game with someone else at the helm

I mean, Kojima is responsible for a lot more than just the writing. We've had Metal Gear projects with other people at the helm and they don't even scrape the quality of the mainline series at its peak.