• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
CJ and I talked about this before this article went up, it's a good idea to share the official sides of the story.

Yeee, you can see my response here, I tweeted it before this thread and such went a bit more viral:

For the time being, I still fully believe in what I've shared. For the record, I've said both here on Era and on Twitter the 4chan "buying IP" stuff is bullshit, and the Sony with Castlevania and Metal Gear stuff is bullshit. Some people mixed these two separate rumors, but I want to be crystal clear I never shared anything about that rumor (because I have this sneaking suspicion wires are going to get crossed and people are going to claim I claimed that, though I've done my best to distance myself from those rumors before today). But what I shared and what I still believe, that Japan Studio is working on a Silent Hill game with Toyama directing, Akira Yamaoka and Masahito Ito helping along with a few other older members that worked on Silent Hill, and that Kojima was in talks to work on a Silent Hill game but nothing was being worked on yet and it could still go either way, is true.

If I get further information either way to make me disbelieve in it or believe in it more, I'll be open and honest as I do. I get people's reasonable doubt here, but all I can say is I still very much believe in what I've shared.

It's going to be a full exclusive game to the PS5 or a timed exclusive like SFV ?

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Konami doesn't want to make Silent Hill, Silent Hill should stay dead. I'm not interested in this business of first parties snapping up third parties' games to make them for them. Sony doesn't need Silent Hill.
I don't understand this thinking. Konami being the owner of Silent Hill doesn't automatically imbue them with the foresight of what's best for their own IP. Or the ability to create a quality title in any given franchise. Most would probably agree that SH hadn't been decent since 4 nor great since 3. Konami obviously doesn't know best. They are a corporate entity that happens to find themselves in charge of nostalgic IPs gamers would love to play in a new generation.

At this point, you're more likely to get a quality entry in Silent Hill/random other IP from an impassioned 3rd party that sold Konami on a pitch than Konami corporate themselves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's really no different than your thirst for first party JRPGs. Sony does not really need them, but you still want it. Also Sony would not be buying the IP or playing someone else to develop it. The real rumour with any legs is that they are licensing the IP and developing in house.

Just for clarity you think Sony licensing Spider-Man videogame rights was a mistake? As this would be a very similar scenario. Also in reality how is it really any different from hiring From Software to make an exclusive IP that becomes useless when you have no power to get them to make a sequel? Yeah they can get someone else to do it, but really no one wants that. So Sony should only fund only games under IPs they own by studios they own to fully protect their investments?

Marvel isn't a video game developer. I don't care that much about getting the rights to make a Spider-Man game. The problem I have is with this idea that Sony needs to be responsible for making other developers' games for them. Fuck that. Sony needs to get their own house in order before they start playing magical savior to Konami or anyone else.

I don't understand this thinking. Konami being the owner of Silent Hill doesn't automatically imbue them with the foresight of what's best for their own IP. Or the ability to create a quality title in any given franchise. Most would probably agree that SH hadn't been decent since 4 nor great since 3. Konami obviously doesn't know best. They are a corporate entity that happens to find themselves in charge of nostalgic IPs gamers would love to play in a new generation.

At this point, you're more likely to get a quality entry in Silent Hill/random other IP from an impassioned 3rd party that sold Konami on a pitch that Konami corporate themselves.

That's nice. Then a third party should pitch that to Konami and Konami should be responsible for it. Sony needs to focus on their own IP and on growing and creating new ones, not on rescuing third party IP. Period, end of story. The world doesn't need more Silent Hill, and if Sony spends money that COULD go toward first party games on rescuing it, that means less first party Sony games.

I am opposed to the idea of Sony making LESS games so they can fund a bunch of third parties. It's already hard enough to find a PS4 exclusive that excites me as it is.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Speaking the truth my man.

Although I'll forgive people for not getting Remastered, mostly because that was on Sony for not marketing it at all and the physical edition being both exclusive to Amazon and limited print item lmao.

2 unfortunately came out during that amazing month of January 2017 where we got like 20 amazing PS4 games all at once, it was just REALLY bad timing.

If they made Gravity Rush 3 and put it out as a title on the same day as the PS5 launch, it would be so successful. Although I have the feeling we might get a Ratchet and Clank game to fill that role instead.

As a Ratchet and Clank fan, I'd love that. As for GR, yeah, the timing was unfortunate, but for enthusiast gamers that clamor for something interesting and original, they get really picky when it comes to what titles they blather on and on about. Like a Zelda or Animal Crossing needs the word of mouth. I love those games too, but I try to spread the word as much as possible when it comes to titles like Gravity Rush, or Yakuza.

The super charming animated shorts they did for Gravity Rush 2 also had me wishing for an animated series. Hell, I STILL want an animated series.

I actually managed to grab the limited edition physical copy of GR Remastered from Amazon, and it's one of my favorite physical games I own. I still think that IP has a chance, but it may need to expand to other media to really get some eyes on it. Kat is too damn lovable and charming to be relegated to such little exposure. She was also super fun to play as in PlatStation All Stars.

But anyway, this thread is about Konami! Lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Konami and Sony work out a publishing/licensing deal for Silent Hill or Castlevania game development. Konami's already shown how reluctant they are to develop expensive games, so I imagine a deal where they don't have to pony up all of the cash for a new game, but get the benefits of keeping their IP profitable (the whole point of owning an IP when you're a corporation), could be enticing.

Outright selling the IP? God no, that's be foolish. But licensing it, and getting a fat percentage of the profit? Sure, why not?

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's nice. Then a third party should pitch that to Konami and Konami should be responsible for it. Sony needs to focus on their own IP and on growing and creating new ones, not on rescuing third party IP. Period, end of story. The world doesn't need more Silent Hill, and if Sony spends money that COULD go toward first party games on rescuing it, that means less first party Sony games.

I am opposed to the idea of Sony making LESS games so they can fund a bunch of third parties. It's already hard enough to find a PS4 exclusive that excites me as it is.
I was including Sony as a "3rd party" since they would be considered as such to Konami's IP. Unless I'm mistaken in that.

Obviously, this is just a difference in opinion here. I'd love a new Silent Hill period. For me, that doesn't stop with the developer possibly being a 1st party console developer like Sony. I'm actually more hyped for that. Sony means more money invested, more cutting edge due to its relation to its own console, and the original SH creator is employed by Sony and rumored to be directly involved.

I would consider those points to provide the best possible outcome for Silent Hill and I don't consider it as a loss for Sony in terms of next gen output as you seem to do.

But each their own. I hope I get an amazingly quality GOTG 1st party-developed Silent Hill title. I hope you get the quality PS5 1st party content you hope for. I personally think the end result for either is the same. Satisfied PS5 owner.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
CJ and I talked about this before this article went up, it's a good idea to share the official sides of the story.

Yeee, you can see my response here, I tweeted it before this thread and such went a bit more viral:

For the time being, I still fully believe in what I've shared. For the record, I've said both here on Era and on Twitter the 4chan "buying IP" stuff is bullshit, and the Sony with Castlevania and Metal Gear stuff is bullshit. Some people mixed these two separate rumors, but I want to be crystal clear I never shared anything about that rumor (because I have this sneaking suspicion wires are going to get crossed and people are going to claim I claimed that, though I've done my best to distance myself from those rumors before today). But what I shared and what I still believe, that Japan Studio is working on a Silent Hill game with Toyama directing, Akira Yamaoka and Masahito Ito helping along with a few other older members that worked on Silent Hill, and that Kojima was in talks to work on a Silent Hill game but nothing was being worked on yet and it could still go either way, is true.

If I get further information either way to make me disbelieve in it or believe in it more, I'll be open and honest as I do. I get people's reasonable doubt here, but all I can say is I still very much believe in what I've shared.

Thank you for your openness. Suffice it to say I really, really hope your info turns out to be right, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel isn't a video game developer. I don't care that much about getting the rights to make a Spider-Man game. The problem I have is with this idea that Sony needs to be responsible for making other developers' games for them. Fuck that. Sony needs to get their own house in order before they start playing magical savior to Konami or anyone else.

Why you are framing it as Sony doing Konami a favor like it is an act of charity? I fail to see how a couple licensed games is undermining their first party efforts either. You won't be happy with their first party efforts regardless of whether this true or not so why does it matter if Toyama is making Silent Hill or a new horror IP?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Konami: Even in these scary and uncertain times we want everyone to know we are still committed to our number one goal of delivering shitty news consistently to gamers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why you are framing it as Sony doing Konami a favor like it is an act of charity? I fail to see how a couple licensed games is undermining their first party efforts either. You won't be happy with their first party efforts regardless of whether this true or not so why does it matter if Toyama is making Silent Hill or a new horror IP?

Y'know, this "you hate everything" mentality out of people is really getting exhausting. Everyone always parrots it like I don't actually like anything. It's not my fault that Sony seems insistent on making nothing but third person Western action games over and over again. So yes. Sony spending a ton of money and time on a project like this means less games out of their Japan side that could actually draw my interest.

As for why it matters, I would rather see new ideas, rather than Toyama revisiting an IP he hasn't had anything to do with for over two decades and that he wasn't even involved in the best iterations of. The last thing Silent Hill needs is a reboot that scales it back to Alessa's version of the town.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I'm guessing there was some partial truth to it, but plans changed. Typically companies straight up don't respond to rumors at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, this "you hate everything" mentality out of people is really getting exhausting. Everyone always parrots it like I don't actually like anything. It's not my fault that Sony seems insistent on making nothing but third person Western action games over and over again. So yes. Sony spending a ton of money and time on a project like this means less games out of their Japan side that could actually draw my interest.

As for why it matters, I would rather see new ideas, rather than Toyama revisiting an IP he hasn't had anything to do with for over two decades and that he wasn't even involved in the best iterations of. The last thing Silent Hill needs is a reboot that scales it back to Alessa's version of the town.

I have never said or implied that you hate everything. You clearly do not like the majority of their recent work or their general game philosophy. They are not making the type of games you like so you don't like their games. On topic that is a fair response, but a flawed one. What makes you think he will not incorporate new ideas into a new Silent Hill game that is a reboot of sorts? We literally just saw this with Cory and GOW. You are indirectly saying you really don't think much of him as a director if you think the best he can do is regurgitate a prettier version of a game he made 20 years ago.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Sony's Japan Studio also worked on the Monkey King: Hero is Back game, which is a pretty big Chinese license. So this is a specific direction for the studio that juggles smaller software like family friendly games and more artsy projects.

My guess is that they can't remain sustainable (or at least for Sony's standards and goals) with just those projects that appeal to niche consumers. They are probably in need of a multi-million seller hit game, and I wouldn't think Sony would trust them in creating a new IP in their current state. Allowing one of their teams within Japan Studio, Project Siren, to work with an established, well known horror IP that some of the developers have even previously worked on seems like a great move.

If the partnership goes well then Japan Studio can grow and it'll only benefit all the other projects outside of the team working on Silent Hill.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I can't wait to bump this thread when the reboot is announced.

tumblr_inline_mzhyhiTMcj1qdu37h.gif

Yeah, the meltdowns will be a sight to behold.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Said it before, Sony also was reported to buy Bethesda in January. People need to stick to facts more and focus on what the plenty Sony WWS have in development.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
There sure are some weird takes on exclusives in this thread. People are weird.