• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear and Castlevania can stay dead if the alternative is them going console exclusive. MGSV was an insane multiplatform seller and Castlevania has the potential to do much more with proper care as seen with the good sales for Lords of Shadow.

The rumor of Sony basically "saving" Konami's franchises sounds like the biggest fanboy wet dream.

hypothetically if - emphasis on *if* - this 'partnership' is true it probably wouldn't be console exclusive. a la death stranding, H:ZD, nioh ect

but barring that most of sony's 1st party stuff is consolidated. mega budget AAA games don't necessarily "need" to sell 10 million or whatever

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Metal Gear and Castlevania can stay dead if the alternative is them going console exclusive. MGSV was an insane multiplatform seller and Castlevania has the potential to do much more with proper care as seen with the good sales for Lords of Shadow.

The rumor of Sony basically "saving" Konami's franchises sounds like the biggest fanboy wet dream.

Agreed. Played Lords Of Shadow last year on PC since I first played it on 360. This time at 4K 60fps. No interest in waiting for "definitive editions" of games.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

What a load of nonsense. By this logic Bayonetta should have stayed dead too right?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"I'd rather something not exist then not be on my system of choice."

Classy.
What a load of nonsense. By this logic Bayonetta should have stayed dead too right?
There are some people who genuinely wish that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

This is dumb, especially with Sony playing the field with PC ports.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Starting to think people who say that aren't big fans to begin with. Can't imagine someone really loving a game and not wanting a sequel to exist ever unless it comes to his favorite plastic box.
I love Death Stranding and I don't think a sequel is necessary. Same for Bloodborne. I'd still play it, but I don't think it would be the best idea to make sequels to these games.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I love Death Stranding and I don't think a sequel is necessary. Same for Bloodborne. I'd still play it, but I don't think it would be the best idea to make sequels to these games.

That's a different discussion :P. The dudes here not wanting new entry/reboot just because they don't want it to be potentially exclusive, mot that they don't want sequels. That's way they brought up MGSV sale performance as an argument.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
That's a different discussion :P. The dudes here not wanting new entry/reboot just because they don't want it to be potentially exclusive, mot that they don't want sequels. That's way they brought up MGSV sale performance as an argument.
Ah sorry, I didn't read the whole thing, my bad. x)
That's selfish to think that. I'd even prefer it to be exclusive or timed exclusive because the game will obviously be more polished. PS exclusives are really good. A PC port after would be the best thing.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
"I'd rather something not exist then not be on my system of choice."

Classy.

There are some people who genuinely wish that.
This is dumb, especially with Sony playing the field with PC ports.
Konami doesn't need Sony to fund 3 different IPs, as if another Metal Gear or Castlevania is impossible to make without Sony.

Shit, any platform maker.

Unlike a niche property like Bayonetta, those two franchises are already proven multiplatform successes. Their fates are not sealed because they were flops.

And Sony is not guaranteed to put any of its titles on PC day 1, unless we're now okay telling PC players they can wait a year because "Oh these games needed to be made with platform holder money."

It's like Street Fighter V. That game would have been made without Sony's money hat, just later. I can wait longer for these games to be made if they are coming to all major platforms at the same time.

Multiplatform successes going exclusive is bad.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Konami doesn't need Sony to fund 3 different IPs, as if another Metal Gear or Castlevania is impossible to make without Sony.

Shit, any platform maker.

Unlike a niche property like Bayonetta, those two franchises are already proven multiplatform successes. Their fates are not sealed because they were flops.

And Sony is not guaranteed to put any of its titles on PC day 1, unless we're now okay telling PC players they can wait a year because "Oh these games needed to be made with platform holder money."

It's like Street Fighter V. That game would have been made without Sony's money hat, just later. I can wait longer for these games to be made if they are coming to all major platforms at the same time.

Multiplatform successes going exclusive is bad.
Yeah I'm sure Konami will get right on that./s

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the published rumors are not true because they are not exactly how Sony and Knoami are handling the new Silent Hill game. Right?

Right?

:(

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well if Project Siren isn't working on a new Silent Hill, you know what this means?

GRAVITY RUSH 3 BACK IN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY, Y'ALL!

I'm a HUGE Silent Hill fan, but I'd rather have a Gravity Rush 3.

I'm generally not a bitter person, but I admit I hold a teensy tiny bit of smoldering rage for the people that kept sleeping on Gravity Rush, not once, not twice, but THREE times! 😭😭😭

Such a charmingly inventive and enjoyable game, with an amazing protagonist, incredible OST, and beautiful art direction and fun gameplay (especially the sequel), and barely anyone bought it... but I digress.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Konami doesn't give a fart about their IPs, or the fans clamoring for more entries in those series. With that said, I'm wondering if Konami is looking into taking Silent Hill the Netflix route, with a live action series.

I'd format it like American Horror Story: Each season has a new protagonist, set in a different time period in the history of the town,and play around with the psychology of the protagonist, and how Silent Hill twists itself into a horrific manifestation of their psyche. I'd shy away from adapting the games stories, and just tell new stories within that framework.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why doesn't Konami either allow outsourcing of it's IP's or sell them if they are not interested in standard games any longer aside from PES?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a HUGE Silent Hill fan, but I'd rather have a Gravity Rush 3.

I'm generally not a bitter person, but I admit I hold a teensy tiny bit of smoldering rage for the people that kept sleeping on Gravity Rush, but once, not twice, but THREE times! 😭😭😭

Such a charmingly inventive and enjoyable game, with an amazing protagonist, incredible OST, and beautiful art direction and fun gameplay (especially the sequel), and barely anyone bought it... but I digress.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Konami doesn't give a fart about their IPs, or the fans clamoring for more entries in those series. With that said, I'm wondering if Konami is looking into taking Silent Hill the Netflix route, with a live action series.

I'd format it like American Horror Story: Each season has a new protagonist, set in a different time period in the history of the town,and play around with the psychology of the protagonist, and how Silent Hill twists itself into a horrific manifestation of their psyche. I'd shy away from adapting the games stories, and just tell new stories within that framework.

Speaking the truth my man.

Although I'll forgive people for not getting Remastered, mostly because that was on Sony for not marketing it at all and the physical edition being both exclusive to Amazon and limited print item lmao.

2 unfortunately came out during that amazing month of January 2017 where we got like 20 amazing PS4 games all at once, it was just REALLY bad timing.

If they made Gravity Rush 3 and put it out as a title on the same day as the PS5 launch, it would be so successful. Although I have the feeling we might get a Ratchet and Clank game to fill that role instead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Konami either allow outsourcing of it's IP's or sell them if they are not interested in standard games any longer aside from PES?

Because they don't want to give other companies free rein to do whatever they want with their IP. "If you're not going to use it, just give it up" doesn't really make sense in the business world.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How is it business sense to let ip's just wither away and not be used? I was not implying Konami just give it away.

Konami isn't going to sell their IP either. They make money off of Silent Hill, Castlevania and Metal Gear right now, even if it's not AAA amounts of money it's also not AAA amounts of RISK either. They are also not in bad financial shape right now so they have no financial need to sell them. What would be the benefit? A short-term cash infusion they don't need and the elimination of some revenue streams?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Konami isn't going to sell their IP either. They make money off of Silent Hill, Castlevania and Metal Gear right now, even if it's not AAA amounts of money. They are also not in bad financial shape right now so they have no financial need to sell them. What would be the benefit? A short-term cash infusion they don't need and the elimination of some revenue streams?
The benefit would obviously be for the consumer to play a new Silent Hill game on a console and/or a PC. There are still consumers out there believe or not for it, but the only way to prove it is to release a new game. Seems like they don't care.

Oct 25, 2017
Platform exclusivity is becoming more and more a stupid proposition for any 3rd party honestly.

With the system architectures all basically being like PCs, there's no real reason to do this anymore. Ignoring platforms like XBox, PC just doesn't make sense.

If you are not making the game you take what you can get. SH on PS5 is better than SH nowhere .

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are not making the game you take what you can get. SH on PS5 is better than SH nowhere .

Giving away your IP for probably years on end isn't smart business in the modern gaming landscape I don't think. There's no guarantee for example the PS5 will even be the dominant platform, yes it might be, but you can't even say that for certain. Microsoft looks a lot sharper going into this next gen and Nintendo is having massive success with the Switch which positions them well for Switch 2 and then there's PC as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Giving away your IP for probably years on end isn't smart business in the modern gaming landscape I don't think. There's no guarantee for example the PS5 will even be the dominant platform, yes it might be, but you can't even say that for certain. Microsoft looks a lot sharper going into this next gen and Nintendo is having massive success with the Switch which positions them well for Switch 2 and then there's PC as well.

Konami has not done shit with Silent Hill in like a decade. You argument would hold weight if they were actively using it to make games. They are not and there attempts to do so before they stopped were failures.

You think Marvel regrets letting Sony handle Spider-Man games now?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Konami has not done shit with Silent Hill in like a decade. You argument would hold weight if they were actively using it to make games. They are not and there attempts to do so before they stopped were failures.

I think Capcom regrets putting SFV exclusively on the PS4. That game probably could've eeked out an additional 1+ million copies on the low end at least on the XBox One and Switch if it could be made available on those platforms.

Signing off your IP properties for years on end to be exclusive just isn't smart business, especially if its one of your core IP. Unless the manufacturer is literally reimbursing you for lost sales on other platforms in the long term it's not worth it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Not every IP needs to be used constantly.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Capcom regrets putting SFV exclusively on the PS4. That game probably could've eeked out an additional 1+ million copies on the low end at least on the XBox One and Switch if it could be made available on those platforms.

Signing off your IP properties for years on end to be exclusive just isn't smart business, especially if its one of your core IP. Unless the manufacturer is literally reimbursing you for lost sales on other platforms in the long term it's not worth it.

SF was not a dead or misused IP like Spider-Man and Silent Hill. Poor analogy.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was down with this rumor when it was just Sony developed Silent Hill games. Once talk of Konami IPs being bought out, it became far-fetched.

That said, Konami should be willing to be an IP house and should be open to the idea of video game pitches on their properties. The longer they wait, the less they'll be worth.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still can't believe people fell for this.
A lot of verified insiders with very accurate track records - multiple of them, for that matter - talked about and shared the initial rumor from their sources.

It was a LOT of smoke, which is why it took more traction than a random rumor from a bored blogger or guy on reddit, for example.

At this point, it would be more a matter of how their sources were wrong, in this case, when so much of their leaks and reveals have been spot-on for quite some time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You are to invested in this not happening to give a rational opinion. SH is an IP that should stay dead? Why? Should Bayonetta have stayed dead because Sega wouldn't fund it?

If Konami doesn't want to make Silent Hill, Silent Hill should stay dead. I'm not interested in this business of first parties snapping up third parties' games to make them for them. Sony doesn't need Silent Hill.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I can't wait to bump this thread when the reboot is announced.

tumblr_inline_mzhyhiTMcj1qdu37h.gif

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Has Dusk Golem commented on this yet? He was one of the first to get these rumors going wasn't he?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
CJ and I talked about this before this article went up, it's a good idea to share the official sides of the story.
Has Dusk Golem commented on this yet? He was one of the first to get these rumors going wasn't he?

Yeee, you can see my response here, I tweeted it before this thread and such went a bit more viral:

For the time being, I still fully believe in what I've shared. For the record, I've said both here on Era and on Twitter the 4chan "buying IP" stuff is bullshit, and the Sony with Castlevania and Metal Gear stuff is bullshit. Some people mixed these two separate rumors, but I want to be crystal clear I never shared anything about that rumor (because I have this sneaking suspicion wires are going to get crossed and people are going to claim I claimed that, though I've done my best to distance myself from those rumors before today). But what I shared and what I still believe, that Japan Studio is working on a Silent Hill game with Toyama directing, Akira Yamaoka and Masahito Ito helping along with a few other older members that worked on Silent Hill, and that Kojima was in talks to work on a Silent Hill game but nothing was being worked on yet and it could still go either way, is true.

If I get further information either way to make me disbelieve in it or believe in it more, I'll be open and honest as I do. I get people's reasonable doubt here, but all I can say is I still very much believe in what I've shared.

Oct 25, 2017
And I need a new Suikoden or Final Fantasy Tactics. That doesn't mean I think Sony should just randomly buy those IPs or pay a third party to do their job for them.

It's really no different than your thirst for first party JRPGs. Sony does not really need them, but you still want it. Also Sony would not be buying the IP or playing someone else to develop it. The real rumour with any legs is that they are licensing the IP and developing in house.

Just for clarity you think Sony licensing Spider-Man videogame rights was a mistake? As this would be a very similar scenario. Also in reality how is it really any different from hiring From Software to make an exclusive IP that becomes useless when you have no power to get them to make a sequel? Yeah they can get someone else to do it, but really no one wants that. So Sony should only fund only games under IPs they own by studios they own to fully protect their investments?

Oct 25, 2017
CJ and I talked about this before this article went up, it's a good idea to share the official sides of the story.

Yeee, you can see my response here, I tweeted it before this thread and such went a bit more viral:

For the time being, I still fully believe in what I've shared. For the record, I've said both here on Era and on Twitter the 4chan "buying IP" stuff is bullshit, and the Sony with Castlevania and Metal Gear stuff is bullshit. Some people mixed these two separate rumors, but I want to be crystal clear I never shared anything about that rumor (because I have this sneaking suspicion wires are going to get crossed and people are going to claim I claimed that, though I've done my best to distance myself from those rumors before today). But what I shared and what I still believe, that Japan Studio is working on a Silent Hill game with Toyama directing, Akira Yamaoka and Masahito Ito helping along with a few other older members that worked on Silent Hill, and that Kojima was in talks to work on a Silent Hill game but nothing was being worked on yet and it could still go either way, is true.

If I get further information either way to make me disbelieve in it or believe in it more, I'll be open and honest as I do. I get people's reasonable doubt here, but all I can say is I still very much believe in what I've shared.

You have given us no reason to doubt you.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The night is darkest before the dawn!