• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Darknight Are you itching to play Fighting Street? Cuz last I played it, I didn't enjoy it for anything other than historical points.

My left middle finger is killing me... I just beat Blazing Lazers...

I thought that I had beaten the game before... but I do not remember the final boss lady at all... awesome!
Um left middle finger? How do you hold the controller?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I rest it on my middle finger, so I am constantly pushing down on that finger.

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
I see. Maybe a touch of carpel tunnel or gamers hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's really more for historical reasons since it was the first home console version of the game from the arcade. I won't say it's even remotely a good game, but I do have some nostalgia for it.
I've only ever played it twice: arcade once and a friends TGCD. Didn't enjoy either time.

Though I do wonder how Hakchi will let us use 6-button controllers when we can put games on there.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure, go back in stock the exact day my order for the CoreGrafx arrived.

Kinda find it funny that A.) I ordered the European version from a Japanese site to be shipped to the US, & B.) It's only rated PEGI 12 yet M & D on the others. Either way, my friend is super excited to try it out after learning about the system from that Hi-Score Girl anime. I completely forgot just how many shmups are on the thing, which is cool as a fan.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure this is exactly the right thread for it, but has anyone tried the Brook PC Engine adapter?

It is a multi adapter so it works for the original PCE, Megadrive and apparently the PCE mini too.

I'm sure there are cheaper methods for the mini, but maybe worthwhile if you want to use a PS3/4 stick on original hardware too.

FWIW, I don't have a mini yet but have tried this on real PCE hardware. It works great with my PS4 Hori Hayabusa stick, and makes certain games a lot easier to play compared to the PCE pad. For example hitting diagonals in Dungeon Explorer, or anything twitch based.

By default they added a turbo function to the standard 2 button pad which is pretty handy, and there's also 6 button and Switch pad support too.

I've not tried it on my Mega Drive yet.

The PCE pad isn't bad, but I'm glad I don't need to touch it again.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Add another game to my 'beaten' list... R-Type.

I have never beaten R-Type without cheats of X-Box... but I found a spot on the final boss where the spinning stars would not hit me and my orb was blasting away in the vagina boss' mouth.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure, go back in stock the exact day my order for the CoreGrafx arrived.

Kinda find it funny that A.) I ordered the European version from a Japanese site to be shipped to the US, & B.) It's only rated PEGI 12 yet M & D on the others. Either way, my friend is super excited to try it out after learning about the system from that Hi-Score Girl anime. I completely forgot just how many shmups are on the thing, which is cool as a fan.
To be honest, I wish I had a PC Engine/Coregrafx, just cause this thing is huge!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
For those interested, seems that Amazon.it has reopened the preorders for the Coregrafx Mini.
No real date when they will deliver is given though.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Same good news for all the Americans who haven't imported it yet and are waiting for the Amazon.com Turbografx 16 Mini release. Looks like it's releasing next week!

I have imported the Japanese PC Engine Mini day 1 and I absolutely love it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yay, happy I held onto my preorder.

Now my PC engine mini can have a second controller with turbo switches :)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what this guy thinks about his face not being on the Mini:
nec-turbografx-16-black-console_1_d3792ee82c5b4e0ef9d154b8e5005715.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
My original order from last year was still showing as shipping in Jan 2021. I needed to change the address anyway so I just cancelled and re-preordered.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Same good news for all the Americans who haven't imported it yet and are waiting for the Amazon.com Turbografx 16 Mini release. Looks like it's releasing next week!

I have imported the Japanese PC Engine Mini day 1 and I absolutely love it.

Finally, and the 22nd is payday so the timing is perfect

Oct 27, 2017
Are the Hori and 8bitdo controllers the only known options at this point? Ideally I'd like to grab a second identical controller.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Oooh, finally the bump is about the US release. :P

I've already jumped into the PSN release of Rondo of Blood, but at least my YS1&2 replay will start up soon.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Are the Hori and 8bitdo controllers the only known options at this point? Ideally I'd like to grab a second identical controller.

Yeah, that's all the options so far. I have heard that Hori is the actual manufacturer of the mini, so in theory the Hori pad should perform identical.

There's also some compatibility with the Retrobit's wireless Sega controllers, but they requiere a button combination every time and they inverse the order of the buttons.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Gate of Thunder and Devil's Crush will be the first two ROMs I dump on this console if it gets hacked. Two of my favorite games of that era that everyone should play.
With a name like Devils Crush, I totally didn't expect to see a pinball game lol

Gate of Thunder however, seeing as how Lords is taking over my gaming life, I look forward to trying!
There is an AMPED version of Gate of Thunder online where a guy re balanced the music volume to not be drowned out by sound effects. It would be worth finding if the system gets opened up.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got the update from Amazon and my console is set for delivery on Tue. but the standalone controller still doesn't have an estimated delivery date.
Wait, the US only sells extra controllers (and the multitap) in white?
That is the case everywhere IIRC.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, the US only sells extra controllers (and the multitap) in white?
These 8bitdo controllers will be out May 20th.

Will the Genesis Mini USB wall plug work for this? How about an iPhone wall cube?
Don't know, and you gotta be careful: we already know that some adaptors (rasberry pi) can potentially ruin your system irrevocably. From my experience: plugging into a TV, cable box or surge protector USB port works fine. Might want to play it safe and just order an official adaptor if those aren't options.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Of all the variants I prefer the look of the PC Engine the most. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the PC Engine version over the others? I'm pretty sure the included games are the same...?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the variants I prefer the look of the PC Engine the most. Is there any reason I shouldn't get the PC Engine version over the others? I'm pretty sure the included games are the same...?

There's a couple differences in games and the PC Engine version doesn't come with a controller that has turbo settings on it like the Core and TG-16 does.

The PC Engine comes with Tengai Makyo II, Tokimeki Memorial and the Japanese version of Splatterhouse but doesn't have Salamander, Salamander Near Arcade and the US version of Splatterhouse.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Still seems like no Canadian release in sight? Certainly nothing on Amazon.ca. Might have to consider buying from Amazon.com

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Still seems like no Canadian release in sight? Certainly nothing on Amazon.ca. Might have to consider buying from Amazon.com

Are you in Toronto? Given the shipping cost, I was considering doing a group buy with another person. Come into the Canadian deals discord channel if you want to discuss :)

EDIT: That's for the wireless controllers only, not the console. If you want the console, order from Amazon Japan.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What I'm curious is if they have different packaging or they're just selling the Japanese boxed ones.

What's weird is that to my knowledge, only the PC Engine had white controllers. So they made two different white controllers, one without turbo (only available with the console) and one with turbo. And they packaged black versions with turbo with the turbografx but won't sell that color separately even though they've already made them in that color.

So basically there's no scenario where you have two of the same controller.

Mar 31, 2018
Happy for all you guys finally able to get one of these in North America ...it's a great system. My only gripe right now is that Amazon Canada doesn't have the 8bitdo wireless controllers listed so if I want one I'll have to pay like $30 US just for the shipping alone. Maybe they'll list them some time after they actually release...

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing bits and pieces of Ninja Gaiden PCE.

Suddenly I ran into some shit that has me flabbergasted.

For those who can't view twitter, here's the gist of it:

In Stage 2-2, you can grab an invincible fire wheel power-up. However, and this is completely unlike the NES version (and common-sense), if Ryu attempts to land on the sword-guy, he'll take damage and fall to his death.

Just stick to the NES version.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I started the R-Type 2nd run through...

NOTE: After you beat the final boss the game resets at Level 1. It is the same game just more bullets I believe and maybe a few more enemies on some levels.

But on the restart you start with all weapons you had and the same speed increases you also had. All of that speed is a hinderance in my opinion but I adapted.

Using the 'save state' I made it through the game again...after the final boss it does the same little closing 'movie' but this time a bigger sized BYDO 'thing' appears and explodes... and the game freezes at 'GAME OVER'.

Now I can consider R-Type beaten!

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I'm excited about getting this thing to display next to my SNES and Genesis minis. I'ma play Bonk and try out some of the other games. I'm glad the American version is coming soon; I was expecting a much longer wait when I saw it was delayed.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
My Turbografx-16 Mini arrived from Japan today. Yay! (Now I gotta cancel my preorder from Amazon, lol)

I'm loving it so far. Of all the mini consoles, I've put the least amount of time with the TG16 library, so I'm really looking forward to jumping in. Can't wait to play through Ghouls 'n Ghosts, since the Genesis version is one of my all-time favorites.

Can someone do me a solid and list the secret bonus games and how to access them? Or link me to the post in the thread?
I'm having a hard time finding the specific info online.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My order is with Amazon (UK) and still no shipping/release date... I'm so excited for it to come!