• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sorry, what is that video of? A hacked system?

I could not see the video title until I opened it in YouTube.

it mentions 'hacked' and 'proof of concept'

Last edited:

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I ordered a NA model so I guess I won't get it til dec now?
You can order the Turbografx-16 Mini through Amazon JP. Just order it through them and cancel your Amazon US order and you'll have it by the end of this week/early next week.

Btw that December 2020 date on N. American Amazon is just a placeholder until the new release date is announced.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I have had the American version TG16 mini ordered since last August.

Can you get the JP site in full English? Or does someone want to order it for me and I'll PayPal you.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
They've loaded non-stock games. It's by some of the people at ModMyClassic.

It'll be interesting to see if the stock emulator is a compatibility beast, or if this follows other retro-mini jailbreaks' footsteps and depends on Retroarch.

Also, its 4GB of on-board memory would be fun to play with, if users are able to delete any of the pre-installed games (which, from what I vaguely recall, isn't usually the case, and wasn't on the Genesis Mini).

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if the stock emulator is a compatibility beast, or if this follows other retro-mini jailbreaks' footsteps and depends on Retroarch.

Also, its 4GB of on-board memory would be fun to play with, if users are able to delete any of the pre-installed games (which, from what I vaguely recall, isn't usually the case, and wasn't on the Genesis Mini).

I think a bunch of the hucard games will fit with that storage, but I don't know how a CD game would fit on the thing unless there's some compression tools

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Went ahead and ordered from Amazon Japan. Didn't want to wait any longer. Much easier process than I expected. I think I ordered on Thursday and it arrives tomorrow (Monday).
Yeah, I ordered one on the 9th and it got here on the 13th. I was expecting an easy process though, since I've ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon Japan before (Dragon Ball manga, lol). I'm happy I did since I was really wanting to mess with my order last month then that got delayed. I need to see if I can get all the accessories from Amazon Japan (extra controller, AC adapter, multitap). I'm assuming I can, I just haven't looked.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Also posting to say I ordered a CoreGrafx, after much procrastination. Email says it'd be here on Wednesday.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered mine from Amazon.jp last week and it's already scheduled to deliver today. Can't believe how easy and quick that was!

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
It's here!

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have a quick measurement of each version? might be convinced to switch over to ordering on JP if it's really dramatically smaller.

and what's the difference between Splatterhouse JP and Splatterhouse USA? that's one of the games I'll be playing for sure, strong nostalgia. I have arcade perfect salamander via ACA series so that one is less of a loss.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
anyone have a quick measurement of each version? might be convinced to switch over to ordering on JP if it's really dramatically smaller.

and what's the difference between Splatterhouse JP and Splatterhouse USA? that's one of the games I'll be playing for sure, strong nostalgia. I have arcade perfect salamander via ACA series so that one is less of a loss.

The PC Engine/Coregrafx is about 4.5 x 4.5 x 1.25 inches

The TurboGrafx-16 is over twice the size at twice the width and 1.5 inches extra deep

Splatterhouse on US has different mask colour - kind of a crimson instead of white - and removal of Christian imagery such as crosses, altars etc...

Last edited:

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
It's beautiful! Reminds me so much of opening my original system.

Who wants to order one from JP for me?

If you're in the US, ordering one from Amazon.jp, using the link in this thread, is super easy. I don't read Japanese, didn't use a translation, and was able to create an account and order one in about 5-10 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine arrived. I love the menus and the music. This thing feels polished, unlike the Genesis one. Playing Ys Book I & II, and the music is so good -- you can tell it was high quality back then, based on the CD format.

The console itself is a lot larger than the other mini consoles, but that's okay. Got juuuust enough room.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you're in the US, ordering one from Amazon.jp, using the link in this thread, is super easy. I don't read Japanese, didn't use a translation, and was able to create an account and order one in about 5-10 minutes.

OK, I used my iPhone and it converted/translated much more than using my PC.

My TG16 mini is ordered from JP and says it will arrive on 04/29.

$116.17 total for the product and shipping to Chicago.

I will now cancel my US order from 08/14/2019.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I love that this thing is rated Mature. What games push it to there? Splatterhouse?
nah, Splatterhouse is T based on Namco Museum for Switch. ESRB says it's Snatcher, the one game you probably can't play without a guide or hacking an English translation.

"One game depicts several murder crime scenes with corpses lying in pools of blood; a dog is also briefly shown with exposed entrails. A handful of cutscenes contain more intense instances of violence: a character's arm ripped off; a man's head exploding into blood and bits of flesh; a robot's face melting off. A handful of sequences depict female characters with exposed breasts and buttocks."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Since the Turbographx version is so much bigger than the PC Engine one, is it just a lot of empty space? I'm tempted to order a PC engine version and keeping my amazon US order for now.

Oct 27, 2017
nah, Splatterhouse is T based on Namco Museum for Switch. ESRB says it's Snatcher, the one game you probably can't play without a guide or hacking an English translation.

"One game depicts several murder crime scenes with corpses lying in pools of blood; a dog is also briefly shown with exposed entrails. A handful of cutscenes contain more intense instances of violence: a character's arm ripped off; a man's head exploding into blood and bits of flesh; a robot's face melting off. A handful of sequences depict female characters with exposed breasts and buttocks."
To quote my inner 10 year old self, Snatcher sounds fucking rad. Wish I could play it. Probably going to hack the crap out of this system.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Since the Turbographx version is so much bigger than the PC Engine one, is it just a lot of empty space? I'm tempted to order a PC engine version and keeping my amazon US order for now.
Just like the original model, it's all just empty space. If you were the modding type and the hacking scene goes where we all expect it to go, I wonder if it'll be possible to use that empty space to house a hard drive or SSD?

EDIT: shot of the mini and the original
TurboGrafx-16-Mini-Front-Size-1480x833.jpg

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They've loaded non-stock games. It's by some of the people at ModMyClassic.

I'll wait for hakchi instead.

I don't like how MMC adds a boot menu, and I don't like the way the hack works in which you need to save the internal files somewhere and if you lose them you are fucked completely. Hakchi stores those files inside the actual system, so you never ever lose them. And if uninstalling works like Project Lunar, then it's a big mess when people don't know how to use it.

Also, MMC is adding several thing that modifies the original behavior of the system, and that's nice as long as it's optional.

So to avoid any headaches, I'll just wait for Hakchi which I'm already familiar with.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
I caved in a couple of days ago and ordered this from Amazon.co.jp but now I've realised I may have made A TERRIBLE MISTAKE (TM Gob) - I ordered the PC Engine (so the Japanese model) - am I going to be able to play the games in English? I somehow inferred from a few messages on this thread that all regions were included in all the models, can anyone who has the Japanese model confirm?

I don't mind missing out on Salamander, it's more being able to play games like Ys I & II in English since I can't speak Japanese.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I caved in a couple of days ago and ordered this from Amazon.co.jp but now I've realised I may have made A TERRIBLE MISTAKE (TM Gob) - I ordered the PC Engine (so the Japanese model) - am I going to be able to play the games in English? I somehow inferred from a few messages on this thread that all regions were included in all the models, can anyone who has the Japanese model confirm?

I don't mind missing out on Salamander, it's more being able to play games like Ys I & II in English since I can't speak Japanese.
You get all the same games in English on the PC Engine that you get on the TG16, it's just you get unplayable Tokimeki Memorial instead of the highly playable Salamander

Mine arrived this afternoon, ordered on Thursday from Japan.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
You get all the same games in English on the PC Engine that you get on the TG16, it's just you get unplayable Tokimeki Memorial instead of the highly playable Salamander

Mine arrived this afternoon, ordered on Thursday from Japan.

Oh excellent, that's a relief, thank you. I already have Salamander on the Saturn and the PSP so I don't mind that so much :) Maybe one day I'll finally learn Japanese and can play through Tokimeki Memorial!

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Oh excellent, that's a relief, thank you. I already have Salamander on the Saturn and the PSP so I don't mind that so much :) Maybe one day I'll finally learn Japanese and can play through Tokimeki Memorial!
This thing will get hacked and you;ll be able to swap it with a fan translation or something, I'm sure

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
....Is there even a fan translation of Snatcher (PC Engine?) Google tells me that there is one that was announced a few years ago that's been radio silent....

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly a high priority for fan translation groups when Sega CD Snatcher already exists. Yeah, there's fundamental differences but it's still essentially the same game, so there isn't a huge drive to get it done.

Plus it's PC-engine which is already a niche system as far as western tastes are concerned.
There's probably more MSX projects than there are PC-Engine.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

The sega-CD version of Snatcher was rated T , probably the most bogus ESRB rating of all time. They probably didn't play the game. I mean common after 30 min you know how bloody and intense the game his...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Any word on if any other USB controllers work for 2nd player, or do we need to wait for those to release?

No option for extra Core Grafx controllers?