• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got one pre-ordered. For $100 with only one controller, this is an ultra-niche product in the West. I'll be shocked if anyone has trouble obtaining one.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe they actually priced it at $100.

I pre-ordered it, but if I see that it's still available to preorder by January or February, then I'm going to cancel it because that means there are enough units and I'm going to wait for a price drop. 100 bucks is too much.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how does it work? Do you order now, but not have the money for it, and then you can add money to it later when it's about to be shipped?
I think they put some sort of hold on your cc. Also they check the credit line.

No hold, but they do check the card initially. Some companies (like Best Buy) do a temporary hold of the funds upon pre-order, but not Amazon.

I don't use credit cards so I'm fucked!=O
You have other options. Visa gift card, Amazon gift card, etc.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
No hold, but they do check the card initially. Some companies (like Best Buy) do a temporary hold of the funds upon pre-order, but not Amazon.

You have other options. Visa gift card, Amazon gift card, etc.
Oh yeah, that's true, but I don't have enough on the Visa gift card and Amazon gift cards!

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
Since when have they done that?

Amazon.ca doesntndo that but I couldn't order through .ca since they didn't even put the damn thing up....

I guess I was mistaked. See the post above "No hold, but they do check the card initially. Some companies (like Best Buy) do a temporary hold of the funds upon pre-order, but not Amazon."

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overpriced? It's the best value of games per dollar of any of the Classic consoles aside from $20 Playstation Classic, but then the games are worth vastly more.

Also, are you familiar with the second hand TG market prices?
Yes, I'm familiar with both the quality of these games and the value of the physical games. That's not really how value for these plug-and-play devices are determined though. Konami has been selling most of these games digitally on multiple storefronts for years. And many physical Nintendo games are still pricey despite being made available in digital form for years. Physical games get expensive because there's only a finite number of them available. That really should have little to no bearing on how a product like this is priced.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I noticed that Hori's selling a separate AC adapter for this on Amazon. Any word as to whether the system itself includes the AC adapter?

Apr 24, 2018
Yes, I'm familiar with both the quality of these games and the value of the physical games. That's not really how value for these plug-and-play devices are determined though. Konami has been selling most of these games digitally on multiple storefronts for years. And many physical Nintendo games are still pricey despite being made available in digital form for years. Physical games get expensive because there's only a finite number of them available. That really should have little to no bearing on how a product like this is priced.

And that's different from any of the other mini systems how? Not too mention value is subjective when it comes to these things. I grew up with genesis and turbo grafx mainly, therefore the value is definitely there compared to most other classic systems.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's different from any of the other mini systems how? Not too mention value is subjective when it comes to these things. I grew up with genesis and turbo grafx mainly, therefore the #value is definitely compared to most other classic systems.

It's subjective on a personal level but more objective on a market level. At $99 with a single controller and no AC adapter, this product has zero chance of any success beyond hardcore enthusiasts. The offerings from Sega and Nintendo are priced in a way that can appeal to more casual and lapsed players, as well as those curious to play a console they never experienced when it was new.

btw, I say all this as someone who ADORES the PC Engine / TG16. Strictly on a personal level, I'm more than fine with dropping $100 on this.

Would it be compatible with the AC adapters for the other mini consoles?

Should be, yeah

Apr 24, 2018
Would it be compatible with the AC adapters for the other mini consoles?
It's subjective on a personal level but more objective on a market level. At $99 with a single controller, this product has zero chance of any success beyond hardcore enthusiasts. The offerings from Sega and Nintendo are priced in a way that can appeal to more casual and lapsed players, as well as those curious to play a console they never experienced when it was new.

btw, I say all this as someone who ADORES the PC Engine / TG16. Strictly on a personal level, I'm more than fine with dropping $100 on this.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Not as widely known as the other mini systems, so the price could be off putting for alot of people. I'm paying just over 120$ Canadian on this thing, but it'll be well worth it personally.

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
It's subjective on a personal level but more objective on a market level. At $99 with a single controller and no AC adaptor, this product has zero chance of any success beyond hardcore enthusiasts. The offerings from Sega and Nintendo are priced in a way that can appeal to more casual and lapsed players, as well as those curious to play a console they never experienced when it was new.

Should be, yeah

Looks like it is doing well right now in Japan:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_zg_ts_videogames

but yes, people in the West might sadly not be so inteterested in this...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I can't believe they actually priced it at $100.

I pre-ordered it, but if I see that it's still available to preorder by January or February, then I'm going to cancel it because that means there are enough units and I'm going to wait for a price drop. 100 bucks is too much.
I might do the same. Pre-ordered just in case but I don't know how much I want to keep it right now. It's certainly an interesting system though.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and pre-ordered. I'm still on the fence whether I want it or not. If Snatcher had an English translation, it be a no brainer. Same if it had Keith Courage, Splatterhouse and Legendary Axe. I still can't believe they omitted those 2 games

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Went ahead and pre-ordered. I'm still on the fence whether I want it or not. If Snatcher had an English translation, it be a no brainer. Same if it had Keith Courage, Splatterhouse and Legendary Axe. I still can't believe they omitted those 2 games

Keith Courage is probably copyright reasons-- game is an altered game based off of a Mecha anime by Sunrise.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and preordered. Not 100% if I'll keep it or not (but probably will), but I've got time to decide.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Apr 24, 2018
Just got word back from Konami PR on the status of the Turbografx 16 mini in Canada

"We just received feedback that there's currently no plans to distribute on Amazon Canada. If anything changes, we'll let you know.

In the meantime, you can check out the U.S. Amazon page that is now live. https://www.amazon.com/TurboGrafx-1...nami+TurboGrafx-16+mini&qid=1563222896&s=gate "

Good thing I got my preorder in on Amazon.com. I don't understand why they wouldn't, but well....Konami...

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Preordered. Can always cancel if it ends up looking spotty closer to release (like what happened with the ps mini...).