• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this game doing particularly well.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope those FP sections are a spiritual successor to P.T.

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
This forum lately has me questioning how some got by when games didn't have so much social media presence. The things being asked about this game are just......wat.

People are only reacting the way they are because of the marketing. If the game had been advertised as an action/adventure we wouldn't be having these conversations, but instead we've been told it's a 'new genre' for years. People are naturally both curious and skeptical

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Is "social strand system" going to be anywhere on the game's cover? If so I suggest they should really consider changing it to "Not all shoot bang"

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
"You can enjoy First Person View but not a First Person Shooter game".

giphy.gif

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I know there's people concerning about "Quiet" but don't worry. I created her character as an antithesis to the women characters (cont)
— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) September 7, 2013

appeared in the past fighting game who are excessively exposed. "Quiet" who doesn't have a word will be teased in the story as well. (Cont)

(Cont) But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Theme of "MGSV" is "GENE"⇒"MEME"⇒"SCENE"⇒"PEACE"⇒"RACE". Story touches the misunderstanding, prejudice, hatred, conflict caused by (cont)

the difference of language, race, custom, culture, and preference. (Cont)

(Cont) The response of "Quiet" disclosure few days ago incited by the net is exactly what "MGSV" itself is.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"You can enjoy First Person View but not a First Person Shooter game".

giphy.gif

My guess is it'll be like BotW, eg you can use tools or abilities to get into first person mode, but mostly for scouting or other gameplay elements, not for actual shooting.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
MGSV was remarkably unique in terms of its systemic gameplay, actually. We praise BOTW for how well it pulls it off, but MGSV got there first.
Kojima usually delivers on being forward thinking with his gameplay - MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGSV were all evidence of this.

Damn Good point.

Funny that people here are trying to throw around the lack of gameplay argument or "new genre omg so pretentious" thing.

Like every major game these days are now what he labeled as "Tactical Stealth Action" decades ago.

Can't wait to see what the fuck is in store for this now from a gameplay standpoint.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I really don't know why Kojima is considered a genius.
Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is 2deep4u.

"You will be ashamed of your words and deeds."

May 26, 2018
His game design and creative spearheading are some of the best in the biz.

It's just SOMETIMES he then says stuff like this *throws tweet at face*:

Honestly that makes me laugh. One moment he's extremely philosophical and pretentious, the next he's Doug Remer from Baseketball. Deep down I think Kojima is an easily-amused dork. He just also happens to have a huge brain.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Because nonsense that we sprout in interviews, on social media, or in presentations can be laughed at or mocked in the moment, but the things we actually do in life and our accomplishments are what remains after all the noise. Kojima is a shittalker and uses way more words than he needs to most of the time, but when it comes to making amazing games that are fun and engaging, he's one of the best in the business.

OmegaMori

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am forcing my self to not watch any trailers Trying to read few if any articles because I want to go into this blind and not knowing wtf is going on but I read this and I know less about the game than before

Oct 26, 2017
The bit where he talks about the first person view, Death Stranding has moments like in the TGA 2017 trailer where Sam is plunged into the 'other side' by the BTs. We can move the camera around in this first-person perspective as if we're a silent observer in the scene. It's almost as if we the player are 'stranded' in their world. Someone came up with an interesting theory regarding this 'Social Strand System' and the first-person perspective in certain scenes like this.
There is an area of the game where the player can take control of the camera. The new trailer itself has someone blinking as if it takes place from our first person perspective. And finally, that last bit from the trailer, where Cliff seems to be talking directly to us. The characters in Death Stranding rely on us, much as they do Sam. We're part of their narrative. That, I believe is The Social Strand System.

It's known that this game is built around a social component (i.e. involving other players in some way). I'm not sure how someone came up with the idea of it being about 4th wall breaking first person cutscenes...

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I don't know why you people are confused.

It's a Social Strand game, you know, like a bottle of Whiskey in a Midsummer Nights Dream mixed with a bit of Rye and avocado. Animation isn't a genre either, it's an artform, that's why I like Pepperoni Pizza.

Bottom's up. And thanks for all the fish.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once again when people can't think a bit further than what's already existing and has been done a billion times already, it must mean the game is "pretentious" rather than just innovative.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you people are confused.

It's a Social Strand game, you know, like a bottle of Whiskey in a Midsummer Nights Dream mixed with a bit of Rye and avocado. Animation isn't a genre either, it's an artform, that's why I like Pepperoni Pizza.

Bottom's up. And thanks for all the fish.

Lmao

Jan 10, 2018
I thought the term "strand" stood for something that has been stranden, like on a beach. That's why the first trailer showed Norman on a beach with lots of dead animals, right?

But now it seems like "stranded" means something like a string that connects... things? So it's some kind of death link that connects people and what not? And the baby might be what keeps it all together?

I'm confused...

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Absolutely. I usually don't care much for this sort of stuff but I find Kojima's attitude insufferable.
Surely is one the most hated by the gamers which don't like him, that's for sure. It's part of his PR put the things in such perspective, we have to see how it will translate such philosophy in the concrete gameplay. But I don't get all this intolerance around him.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Margaret Qualley is incredibly pretty.

...thats my contribution. I have less to say about this game the more I see.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the term "strand" stood for something that has been stranden, like on a beach. That's why the first trailer showed Norman on a beach with lots of dead animals, right?

But now it seems like "stranded" means something like a string that connects... things? So it's some kind of death link that connects people and what not? And the baby might be what keeps it all together?

I'm confused...
I think it's used for 2 different things :

something that has been stranden, like on a beach
This aspect imo is about the BTs, the dead people that are "stranded" between worlds, they're not part of the real world anymore, but still roam it in the form of BTs, and they all have that string connecting them to something in the form of their ombilical chord. We also see in the Heartman trailer a quick shot where he's on the beach getting dragged away from people that are on the same shore showed in the reveal trailer, they seem to be just standing there. I think they are the actual dead people in the underworld, staying motionless on that beach and being "connected" to their BT counterpart on the real world through the ombilical chord we see on the BTs (akin to the link between the stillmothers stranded in the underworld and the BBs in the real world)
Quick edit : writing this gave me an idea about the scars Sam and Cliff have on their stomach: could they have been "cut off" from their underworld(Sam)/real world(Cliff) counterpart?

But now it seems like "stranded" means something like a string that connects... things
This aspect is about Sam's mission of reconnecting people and society. The death stranding event that happened 10 years ago fractured society, and now it seems most people live in isolation either alone or in small groups, they are stranded from the the rest of the world. The UCA wants to recreate a chiral network to reconnect everyone and reform society, so they want to create links between the stranded people.

I can't shake the feeling that he's making a metaphor for internet and how it changed society, like internet connected everyone in the world, but at the same time "stranded" people by actually isolating them metaphoricaly speaking. Sam's line "Covering the world in wires isn't gonna rid us of the BTs/stop the war" goes very much in that sense imo, like "putting cables throughout the world to get internet working isn't gonna connect people in the way you think, it's not gonna stop people from being mentally "stranded" by themselves.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Almost everything that comes out of his mouth is 2deep4u.

"You will be ashamed of your words and deeds."
Well the metaphor around the game is quite intriguing and not surely product of an idiot. I get it people has not interest to such stuff when we are talking of vgame, but that doesn't means everything by him is useless pretentious.

Last edited: