• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

I Just can't agree with Jim's take here. Not even 1%. If someone gets hurt feelings over the PC version of a game that looks and performs better than the console counterpart, that's a personal issue. Consoles are always a fixed point and there are choices a developer has to make on how they can leverage the hardware to get the results they want or at least get to as close to the results they want as possible. Why can't he talk about how being on PC allowed the devs to get closer to the vision they wanted for their game?

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people who like and use the 21:9 ratio on 16:9 screens and I'm confused on why 21:9 on a 16:9 screen needs to have black bars... wouldn't it be preferable to just increase the vertical FOV and make it 16:9 and fill up that space? Or why not just simply increase the FOV in the game on a 16:9 screen and call it a day.

Oct 27, 2017
I Just can't agree with Jim's take here. Not even 1%. If someone gets hurt feelings over the PC version of a game that looks and performs better than the console counterpart, that's a personal issue. Consoles are always a fixed point and there are choices a developer has to make on how they can leverage the hardware to get the results they want or at least get to as close to the results they want as possible. Why can't he talk about how being on PC allowed the devs to get closer to the vision they wanted for their game?

Maybe do so without finding a way to seemingly dump on the people who supported your vision on the initial release. (That's what Jim's saying with the initial tweet.)

Jun 26, 2018
Maybe do so without finding a way to seemingly dump on the people who supported your vision on the initial release. (That's what Jim's saying with the initial tweet.)

If anyone is surprised a pc version might be better than a console version, then I'd be shocked if they even know what a pc is...

Also I bought the PS4 version and beat it there with no problems, and I'll also be buying the pc version (because I want to play it again, but in higher quality)

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
supermans-cgi-mouth-henry-cavill-justice-league-9.jpg

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It will be fun if Sony will threat their ps customers like this as well going forward. It will be fun but I learned today that it is completey okay to be s dick to the ppl who feed you so what do I know.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it feel like watching a different kind of show? Wouldn't it feel like watching the same show in the theatres vs watching it at home? Weird comparison.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone getting a console version of a game will 9/10 have a worse version of the game compared to what a mid to high-end PC of the same timeframe will have. It's like saying the Blue Ray release has better visual quality than the DVD version.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
curious to know if cutscenes are 21:9 too and if Kojima went and reframed them as he definitely should have.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone getting a console version of a game will 9/10 have a worse version of the game compared to what a mid to high-end PC of the same timeframe will have. It's like saying the Blue Ray release has better visual quality than the DVD version.

Blue ray is double to triple in price. They should hike the price of the pc version then.

Feb 24, 2018

Pretty sure he's talking about the hyperbole of the statement can come across that way not that the PC version being better PS4 version (seriously, Jim being bitter about the PC being better, yes because Jim is so well known to be advocate of fan warring /s), especially if you bother to read the rest of the thread:

Seems pretty clear he's talking about the hyperbole and the marketing speaking of both the PR and the articles which you know is something that's been discussed for years.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
It will be fun if Sony will threat their ps customers like this as well going forward. It will be fun but I learned today that it is completey okay to be s dick to the ppl who feed you so what do I know.

The dude said this was closer to their vision. That's it. This whole victimization thing is all you and all incredibly petty and dumb.

It's the kind of thing I'd expect to come out of an angry 12 year old.

But mommy he said that other thing is better than my thing!! Argh!!

Last edited:

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The dude said this was closer to their vision. That's it. This whole victimization thing is all you and all all incredibly petty and dumb.

It's the kind of thing I'd expect to come out of an angry 12 year old.

But mommy he said that other thing is better than my thing!! Argh!!

It's called unprofessional...

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Blue ray is double to triple in price. They should hike the price of the pc version then.
Well
1) That's not the case, at least in the US, I can pick up a Blu-Ray w/ DVD copy for like $5-10 most at max for the vast majority of movies and TV shows with them often coming in at even less of a difference than that. Or, equal in price for just the BR disk.
2)As a new release it won't be getting the sales or use market where DS has been sub $40 regularly for months now effectively making the PC version cost more since you can pick it up new for $35 online at this very moment for PS4.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I have the 32 inch g7 on pre order but I'm tempted to upgrade. How impressive was it lol?

It was good enough to make me doubt my choice of OLED as a gaming monitor (I already game on a C9 and I have the 48" CX on order). The width and curvature of the panel was insanely immersive and it reminded me of VR in an Index.

I would've gotten it if ultra-wide support was more widespread, but it's just too janky right now even with most modern games.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well
1) That's not the case, at least in the US, I can pick up a Blue Ray w/ DVD copy for like $5-10 most at max for the vast majority of movies and TV shows with them often coming in at even less of a difference than that. Or, equal in price for just the BR disk.
2)As a new release it won't be getting the sales or use market where DS has been sub $40 regularly for months now effectively making the PC version cost more since you can pick it up new for $35 online at this very moment for PS4.

Well where I live I pay 30 bucks for 4k blue ray and 20 for the 1080p and 10 for a DVD.

I mean what's wrong with ps4 being cheaper, its cheaper to develop for consoles than pc.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
He is not wrong. Ultrawide is extremely cinematic and makes content look so much better, especially games and movies.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Well where I live I pay 30 bucks for 4k blue ray and 20 for the 1080p and 10 for a DVD.

I mean what's wrong with ps4 being cheaper, its cheaper to develop for consoles than pc.
The PS4 version is cheaper at the moment though and has been since like a month or so post-launch at regular intervals. To the point where the game has been perpetually on sale, either digitally or physically, for $30ish dollars for, I believe, the last month.

And I don't think the dev costs are much different depending on the scope of the game. Which is why so many indies target PC first.

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is surprised a pc version might be better than a console version, then I'd be shocked if they even know what a pc is...

No one is saying the PC version shouldn't be better. No one is saying the devs shouldn't promote it as being better. Jim's initial tweet is about how the the comparison they make between 'what came before' and super-duper-widescreen is done in a kind of belittling way.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020

You think it's cheaper to develop a game for aocnsole than a PC? Receipts? Cause that's not at all what I hear, or see for that matter, considering that the PC has a ton of exclusives eveyr year that don't appear on consoles.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying the PC version shouldn't be better. No one is saying the devs shouldn't promote it as being better. Jim's initial tweet is about how the the comparison they make between 'what came before' and super-duper-widescreen is done in a kind of belittling way.
It's a comparison about scale though. Seeing a 70MM print in theater is a very different experience than seeing it on the TV. The TV drama to movie comparison, to me, refers to the scale. Like going from square TVs to widescreen. You get more of the image and can experience the game in the way the creator prefers.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Are you joking? It's not unprofessional at all.

Of course it is. The professional way fo handlign this woudl ahve been if he had said:

"Poor PC peasants will now get our table scraps. They will suffer the soap opera effect of high frame rate and the inferior aspect ratio of 21:9. As we know Sony, in it's infinite wisdom has decreed 16:9 is the proper aspect ratio for games as it is a complementary ratio to our glorious CEO's wasteline."

Now THAT would have made Hope happy, I'm sure.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
32:9 is an amazing experience when the game supports it, and I use an awful dual monitor with thick bezels setup lol

synapsidal

Oct 25, 2017
Well I would hope it's a better experience considering any mid-range gaming PC since 2013 trounces a base PS4. Is he supposed to say there's no reason to buy the PC version?

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): Hostility, trolling and platform warring over a series of posts. Previous ban for the same behaviour.
The PS4 version is cheaper at the moment though and has been since like a month or so post-launch at regular intervals. To the point where the game has been perpetually on sale, either digitally or physically, for $30ish dollars for, I believe, the last month.

And I don't think the dev costs are much different depending on the scope of the game. Which is why so many indies target PC first.

First of all thanks to actually argue unlike some shit fanboys here. It's true that alot of devs target pc first but that has alot of reasons while I think of you are right that bigger games need more testing especially on pc because of the hundreds of hardware configs. It's also true that you need to target your main audience first plus early access is lot easier on pc. Kind of a difficult subject but I think it's true for big AAA games.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Ultrawide is pretty cool, it just doesn't have enough universal compability for me to get another one.

Maybe in the future.

That said, yes, Death Stranding is one of those games that would fit in ultrawide perfectly.

Jun 26, 2018

I just can't read that way, all he's saying it's going to be better though?

Unless you think the word "TV Drama" is somehow a slight against the PS4 version, which, I dunno, there's a lot that can get lost in translation here: is he talking about American SOAP opera, Japanese Dramas, or is he talking about normal tv series (of which he's a big fan of himself).

Just a reminder, one of the big reasons for getting Mads Mikkelsen involved was Kojima's love for him in the TV series Hannibal. So if he's just comparing TV series to Movies, it's a lot less harsh.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
but whats belittling about making the comparison that 21:9 is like a movie and 16:9 is like a TV show?