• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
UVaEsCx.jpg

I guess this was a mistake XD
I mean having people working locally instead of from home.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed they've been mostly working from home like some other Japanese game devs.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... why were they still working up to this point? i thought japan was getting hit pretty bad.

Because there is no lockdown and the government currently can't just do that. People over there also don't take it that seriously by having coronavirus savings in restaurants etc.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
UVaEsCx.jpg

I guess this was a mistake XD
I mean having people working locally instead of from home.
Maybe you should read the text first?
"The employee has been at home from March 20th and as such has not entered the office since then.
During that time, the employee underwent a PCR test, which returned a positive result today."

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you should read the text first?
"The employee has been at home from March 20th and as such has not entered the office since then.
During that time, the employee underwent a PCR test, which returned a positive result today."

That said, sharing headsets in an office environment seems like a huge no-no right now. They actually sell UV cleaning kits for commercial sterilization but those are several thousand dollars. Not unthinkable that they might have one, but I usually only see them for exhibition at public areas.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
they're a software development company, why do they need the government to tell them to work from home?

I guess you don't know about japanese work culture? I mean lots of people watched Hanami this past weekend too. Lots of people staying at home, but also lots of people not caring till they are told to do so. Why does America need to get told to stay inside? Why did they have to do that in most European countries and still unable to enforce it, because people are shitheads? You tell me.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you don't know about japanese work culture? I mean lots of people watched Hanami this past weekend too. Lots of people staying at home, but also lots of people not caring till they are told to do so. Why does America need to get told to stay inside? Why did they have to do that in most European countries and still unable to enforce it, because people are shitheads? You tell me.
thats kind of my point

Mar 18, 2020
Game development can't really easily be done from home. It's not like the programmers and artists have the same setups and whitelisted IPs at home.
But yeah, the main thing is that neither the Japanese government nor individuals have really taken it seriously until recently, and the main focus has been on not damaging the economy at large or company's bottom lines.

It's not a great mental environment.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason why devs can't work from home?

Transitioning the staff to work from home doesn't really seem like such a difficult thing to do.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason why devs can't work from home?

Transitioning the staff to work from home doesn't really seem like such a difficult thing to do.

man, i heard even getting QA testers to work from home was a nightmare due to the various confidential information clauses, let alone straight up devs who are probably working with even crazier levels of data requirements

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
man, i heard even getting QA testers to work from home was a nightmare due to the various confidential information clauses, let alone straight up devs who are probably working with even crazier levels of data requirements

OTOH, my SO works as an IT developer for a major bank with extremely strict security measures, and somehow their whole team had been able to work from home for the past several weeks, with only a skeleton crew of less than 5 people on site.
I don't believe these constraints are impossible to overcome, if you really prioritise health of your employees.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff getting out and productivity will be an issue but at this point, it's kinda trivial when everyone's health is at risk.

It's better to deal with that then getting a bunch of devs sick or production getting put to a complete halt.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff getting out and productivity will be an issue but at this point, it's kinda trivial when everyone's health is at risk.

It's better to deal with that then getting a bunch of devs sick or production getting put to a complete halt.

point taken, i can just imagine corporate dragging their heels though (Especially in Japan where the gov is dragging their heels on declaring emergencies etc)

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Considering the fact Japan is taking measures since January I don't think the west has any right to judge Japan.

They are definitely taking it seriously

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
This is the busiest crosswalk in the country, and there are actually a lot less people there than usual.
There are a bunch of countries, particularly in Europe, where the busiest places (crosswalk or any other) are literally empty. The Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris, which is probably one of the most crowded places in France, is empty.
So yeah, I still think Japan doesn't give a shit.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
There are a bunch of countries, particularly in Europe, where the busiest places (crosswalk or any other) are literally empty. The Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris, which is probably one of the most crowded places in France, is empty.
So yeah, I still think Japan doesn't give a shit.
France has a complete lockdown, again before looking at how Japan is handling things let's take a step back and look at ourselves.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan hasn't taken the virus seriously from what I've read, most were saying because they still had hopes of having the olympics continue, but even with that being postponed, life as usual

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japan hasn't taken the virus seriously from what I've read, most were saying because they still had hopes of having the olympics continue, but even with that being postponed, life as usual
Largely because both the confirmed cases and deaths are weirdly low for a country that's a month+ into the pandemic. I do think they're still on an exponential growth trend, but it's the sort whereby the numbers double over the course of a week+ rather than the 2-3 days we're seeing in Europe and the US.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Considering the fact Japan is taking measures since January I don't think the west has any right to judge Japan.

They are definitely taking it seriously

Japan had indeed be a bit blase with the pandemic but I think the west needs to stfu about east asian countries' handling of the virus.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Largely because both the confirmed cases and deaths are weirdly low for a country that's a month+ into the pandemic. I do think they're still on an exponential growth trend, but it's the sort whereby the numbers double over the course of a week+ rather than the 2-3 days we're seeing in Europe and the US.
It's all about testing, the numbers are low if you don't test people in high numbers.

That's like Mexico, you don't know how many cases that place has when you don't want to know

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More info that I think should be in the OP:
The employee has been at home from March 20th and as such has not entered the office since then.
During that time, the employee underwent a PCR test, which returned a positive result today.
We are working closely with public health authorities and they have informed us that since this employee was not in the office at the time of symptoms onset, all other KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS employees are not considered "close contacts", meaning that it is not mandatory to close the office.
However, we at KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS have independently decided to enact the following precautions to safeguard the health and well-being of all our employees as well as the broader community.
• Temporarily close the office floor
• Sanitize all office facilities
• All working staff will now work remotely
• Supervise and support for the health condition of all staff
KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS will continue working closely with our public health authorities and enact additional precautions as necessary to prevent further spread in any way possible.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's all about testing, the numbers are low if you don't test people in high numbers.

That's like Mexico, you don't know how many cases that place has when you don't want to know
This is also true for basically all of Europe. Which is why I prefer using deaths as a point of comparison between countries, since I think far fewer cases would be missed. And by that count, Japan is still unusually low for how long COVID-19 has been on their shores (literally), so I stand by the rest of my post.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Ok, you win.
🥳
Nobody wins, friend. It's not a contest, you have your opinion, I have mine; they do differ, but aren't we here to discuss and exchange? Anyway, if you don't want to discuss this matter anymore, at least here and with me, I respect that. Stay safe.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
France has a complete lockdown, again before looking at how Japan is handling things let's take a step back and look at ourselves.

I don't like this perspective. My friend sent me an Instagram story where their entire metro was jam packed as he was traveling to work just last week. This vs how Canada has been handling it is night and day. Granted there are over 100 million people in Japan, compared to South Korea, no they aren't handling it well and during a global crises everyone needs to put in their work. Just like people being openly racist, others need to stop shrouding the reality. Their numbers are incredibly off.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Nobody wins, friend. It's not a contest, you have your opinion, I have mine; they do differ, but aren't we here to discuss and exchange? Anyway, if you don't want to discuss this matter anymore, at least here and with me, I respect that. Stay safe.

Your opinion was "Japan doesn't give a shit." If I were Labor, I wouldn't put any energy into that kind of "discussion and exchange" either.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The virus is going to roll through Japan like a bulldozer if they have been ignoring all the precautions other countries have taken.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I have friends living in Japan and from what they've told me, the virus isn't being taken seriously there at all

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I have friends living in Japan and from what they've told me, the virus isn't being taken seriously there at all
This is more or less what was said on the latest 8-4 play podcast and they were baffled by it. The schools got shut down early in the process, but after that not much else was done. IIRC the trains and transit systems are still running and for the most part it's business as usual.