• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
some of the responses here are pretty embarrassing and attacking kojima for seemingly no reason.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
do people just not believe MGS1-3 exist? Even 4 is not a bad game. 5 is also good.

Not sure what the doubters are on about tbh.

Probably kids that never played his old games, and that doesn't own the console it's on/exclusive.

And, The Internet.

ps: he also made one of the best horror game of this generation.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Hehe, the hilarious thing, I think, is that all of these responses would be UNCHANGED if Kojima had said any of the following:

"I know exactly what this game is, and you will too in just a short while"
"I know exactly what this game is, but that's for me to know and you to wonder about"
"The meaning of the game is constantly changing, so I couldn't ever really tell you what it's about"
"This game doesn't really have any meaning, it just is what it is"
"What do you think this game is about? Oh? Hmm. Yes. Well Done."

"OMG Based Kojima - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. HYPEEE"
"What? Lol ok... Kojima gonna Kojima."
"Pfft. Kojima has no clue what he's doing. Can't believe everyone is falling for this"

It's a testament to the Kojima machine that he has squeezed out such strong responses out of the community with next to nothing. This is where we are at, and we can only watch on from the sidelines inside our brain.

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird, weird way to divert the conversation about how Kojima feels about his own game, into yet more out-of-your-rear concern about this game. What outlets are Konami's record profits coming from, can you provide any insight into that? I guess… we'll see about how well this game sells. My Spidey senses are tingling though.

Hope the game is received well, and doesn't become a No Mans Sky situation again.

Kojima's story telling might be iffy, but I have complete confidence in his ability as a game designer.

This man brought us

MGS: Peacewalker - one of the best portable games I have ever played.
PT - a free to play demo which has influenced the horror genre so much that it's insane it was literally just a teaser
MGSV: One of the best open world stealth games out there

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
"Kojima-san...what is Death Stranding?"

hideooooo.jpg

Ok this is good.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
why does this game make people so upset? nothings stopping you from doing Assassins Creed sidequests all year

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I met someone last night who has play tested DS. i couldn't get much out of him but he said:
  • The first 2 hours are solid gameplay
    [*]A playthrough will be roughly 200 hours
    [*]You play in pergatory - between life and death.
    [*]The baby is you for if you die in the game you can be reincarnated again
    [*]He honeslty thinks it's going to change the industry
    [*]After playing it for a few days it's still hard to comprehend the game
He was a pretty cool guy and we have a lot of mutual friends so i'll probably see him again soon for some more info

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know one thing. Kojima knows exactly what his fans want.

The replies to his statements and interviews are quite fun to read.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
An Era thread where no one read the OP but simply reacted to the thread title, well I never!
The article itself isn't much different from the few quotes in the OP honestly. Maybe the most notable thing is that he says a risk like this can end up badly, but is hoping it'll be well received

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
The cult of personality around Kojima is ridiculous, in all honesty. He's so pretentious.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
He created this universe, its rules, its story, how could he not understand it ?
It's more a thing of seeing a product come together of different ideas and elements. It has to click at some point where you can say it all came together well or excellently, but it CAN be the case where it doesn't and you're left with a kind of uncertainty.

So it's either trolling or that

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think Kojima is a brilliant guy, but this is just hilarious

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
It's not that he does not know what the game is about. This is just more PR speak from him saying his game is a new genre and does not fit into the old conventions.

Also I think this game is going to be a massive trash fire. It's running on hype like Star Citizen, and the gameplay looks nothing special

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
creators have a tendency to get lost in their work. you think david lynch knew what the fuck Eraserhead was about

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Imagine actually believing this.

On the other side Era is known to take everything literally and serious that i am not shocked by some responses.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Hope the game is received well, and doesn't become a No Mans Sky situation again.

Kojima's story telling might be iffy, but I have complete confidence in his ability as a game designer.

This man brought us

MGS: Peacewalker - one of the best portable games I have ever played.
PT - a free to play demo which has influenced the horror genre so much that it's insane it was literally just a teaser
MGSV: One of the best open world stealth games out there

comparing kojima to random UK guys which only game their before was Joe Danger is more than unfair.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate Kojima and I actually think Death Stranding will appeal to my taste (I like experimental exploration games), but he makes it so hard to like him sometimes. He seems to lack the notion of, "Show don't tell," when it comes to these sort of things. I like arthouse works and experimental indie games, but them telling me how deep and mysterious they are is not going to make it seem more appealing to me. I also don't really trust Kojima on handling certain story themes this game seems to be tackling well, there's many examples of this but I still won't forget the infamous, "regret your words and deeds," comment he made before MGSV to the criticism of Quiet's sexualized design, only for it to be she breathes through her skin so she has to wear as little clothing as possible.

I feel I'll actually like this game, but I don't really trust Kojima's take on what's deep and meaningful, and him talking like this doesn't fill me with confidence.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
It's probably something that he shouldn't say out loud, but I think this statement is true for every creator who's working on something new. Who the hell knows if this thing is going to work? When I designed Blind Forest, I was always having second-thoughts whether mixing Metroid'ish gameplay with precision-platforming mechanics would actually work. Would those two genres actually match? Would people adapt to it? I thought it was fun, so we stuck with it... but I always thought it could totally backfire. My motivation was simply to bring better platforming to this genre, cause I didn't understand that in games where platforming is one of the main components, the platforming usually felt pretty bare-bones.

As I'm writing this, I'm already working on a completely new game where we're mixing various genres together and I love it - but we have people in the team and on the publishing side that are less convinced. Such is the nature of creativity - You see some boundaries that don't make sense to you, so you try to take things a step further and the only two outcomes are that you're either batshit insane for trying what you want to try or you're actually seeing something that others aren't seeing and you might just have struck gold.

So let's just hope Kojima is onto something :)

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably something that he shouldn't say out loud, but I think this statement is true for every creator who's working on something new. Who the hell knows if this thing is going to work? When I designed Blind Forest, I was always having second-thoughts whether mixing Metroid'ish gameplay with precision-platforming mechanics would actually work. Would those two genres actually match? Would people adapt to it? I thought it was fun, so we stuck with it... but I always thought it could totally backfire. My motivation was simply to bring better platforming to this genre, cause I didn't understand that in games where platforming is one of the main components, the platforming usually felt pretty bare-bones.

As I'm writing this, I'm already working on a completely new game where we're mixing various genres together and I love it - but we have people in the team and on the publishing side that are less convinced. Such is the nature of creativity - You see some boundaries that don't make sense to you, so you try to take things a step further and the only two outcomes are that you're either batshit insane for trying what you want to try or you're actually seeing something that others aren't seeing and you might just have struck gold.

So let's just hope Kojima is onto something :)
Thank you for this Mahler.
Some of the comments in this thread have been utterly ridiculous and reactionary, embarrassing stuff.