• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything can be inferred from that tweet other than the fact that Kojima, a man who speaks english as a second language, used the word "crunch".

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to stress that under no circumstances should you ever give managers the benefit of the doubt, but a tweet of a non native English speaker using an idiom that had been around for probably over a century can't really be interpreted to have a specific, very modern meaning that has only come about in the zeitgeist of the now. Distrust Kojima because of his status, authority, and power. Not because of this stupid tweet.
Yep. "Crunch time" literally means high pressure - it's used in sports all the time for instance. The exact meaning in this tweet is entireky unclear. Hopefully a games journalist will be able to get some clarification (lol) before people leap to conclusions (lol).

Wow, this guy is full of himself, huh?
So tired of "making an effort to innovate is pretentious" posts that spam up 50% of these threads. The world evidently needs more pretentious people.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Lol the grandstanding and self importance of the people here.

"Crunch" is terrible. All exploitation is terrible.

This tweet is about as indicative of the true labor situation at Kojima Productions as Nintendo's PR statements about Animals Crossing are about theirs. Don't trust Kojima. If anything it's at least more honest. Don't trust Nintendo. Don't trust Double Fine, Valve, or any other studio with a friendly face.

This tweet means nothing.

12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_large.gif

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Yep. "Crunch time" literally means high pressure - it's used in sports all the time for instance. The exact meaning in this tweet is entireky unclear. Hopefully a games journalist will be able to get some clarification (lol) before people leap to conclusions (lol).

So tired of "making an effort to innovate is pretentious" posts. The world evidently needs more pretentious people.

Honestly it's such a non story either way. If he were to get pressed about it, he could just as easily say Kojima Productions devs are all treated well and respectably and it would still be just as meaningless, contrary to what a lot of people here seem to be implying.

Jun 2, 2019
A non-native speaker using the term "crunch time" could easily mean something very different to "crunch" ala red dead 2. Kojima could easily have meant something like we are now in the business end of development of this game. I wholeheartedly agree that crunch is bad but people don't need to fly off the handle based on a tweet that doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Come on dude.

Just how many mental gymnastics are people going to do to defend Kojima?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe.... it's TRUE? Being proud of innovation is not a problem.
We shall see!

But he has also said other silly things like we will feel ashamed of our words and deeds, which was complete nonsense. No one felt either of those after discovering the stupid reason that Quiet was wearing a bikini.

Take what he says with a grain of salt.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima speaks English fluently as a second language

Ergo crunch could mean anything

Maybe he wants abs?

There's literally no way for us to know

Don't trust anyone, especially Animal Crossing

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I crunch in my job too. I'm not a game developer. It's life.

As a new banker the hours are absolute shit. I'd personally trade with a crunching game dev, at least I'd work on something I'm passionate about.

But still though, just because my situation is shit doesn't every one else should suffer too.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Hey, I crunch in my job too. I'm not a game developer. It's life.
Shity reason. You shouldn't have to crunch at your job either.

Projects need to either be managed better, or give realistic projected deadlines.

In the case of Death Stranding. It's going to make a crazy profit. That's a fact. So taking an extra 3 months won't hurt them (or Sony) in the long run.

But let's face it, most businesses aren't managed well, for the workers.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Does Kojima tweet in Japanese and then someone else translates to English for him?

Because I found the same tweet on his Japanese twitter account and see no mention of crunch, but my Japanese isn't very good. Maybe someone else can translate.

That being said, it is a big AAA title. So no doubt there is a very high chance of crunch involved.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, he shouldn't have to crunch.

Just delay the game to stop this crunch madness

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is par for the course, we should talk about compensation: are they getting 1.5x pay for working weekday after hours and 2x for weekends? Comp days? Extra pay bonuses (a fucking trophy for employee of the month does not pay bills)?
I work on tech hardware development in the US, we have a policy for cruch /overtime stating how to handle it so the employees don't fell shortchanged, even for exempt (not hourly) ones. I now there is a weird attitude in gaming industry that you should just be glad you had the privilege of being part of the team, but that s BS if there is no pay to back up the exra effort.

Jun 4, 2018
Pro athletes should revolt against their respective leagues for FORCING them to play in the last two minutes of any competitive match, based on what I'm reading in here. "Crunch time" is a common idiom. If Kojima put his employees through something Hellish enough, we would hear about it. But we haven't. This team he is rolling with is primarily comprised of ex-Konami folks, who have been working with him for a long time. Pretty sure if they got a job working on Kojima's expensive ass games, they could get in just about anywhere, meaning, if conditions were so bad, we would know, making this a non-story.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think its pretty well established that all MGS games had crazy heavy crunch. This is very much the norm in this case. Hopefully people are being treated well and rewarded accordingly when its done.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, and there's also woman traficking and child labour, but that doesn't make it right.

Even if these shit practices are normalized we shouldn't talk about them like they it's normal.
??? I'm not sure all crunch can be avoided. I work at UPS and we have crunch time during the holidays and Amazon sales but its all paid OT thats generous as fuck with bonus after the holidays. But November to January can be a small section of hell because people order so much shit online that trucks are packed to the ceiling and we literally can't get enough trucks to cover everything.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I think its pretty well established that all MGS games had crazy heavy crunch. This is very much the norm in this case. Hopefully people are being treated well and rewarded accordingly when its done.
It's important when evaluating Kojima's statement to ignore all context except for the fact that English is a secondary language for him.

I will allow you to reformulate your opinion in light of this.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, people now cape for crunching.

Reminder: Something being "normal' doesn't automatically make it good.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crunch happens in most industries. and its okay. KJP employees will probably be compensated for their time. Lots of game devs give end-of-project bonuses.

I'm in the middle of crunch and I work in a factory. Sometimes deadlines need to be met in a short amount of time and hiring more people on isn't a solution.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Crunch happens in most industries. and its okay. KJP employees will probably be compensated for their time. Lots of game devs give end-of-project bonuses.

I'm in the middle of crunch and I work in a factory. Sometimes deadlines need to be met in a short amount of time and hiring more people on isn't a solution.

You do realized that in many game companies, crunch can and has lasted for months and years?

Do you crunch for 6 months at a time?

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of fucking course the corporate bootlickers came out of the woodwork to defend crunch.
Of fucking course.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Guys, with the recent naughty dog thread and now this we all must accept that crunch is ok and accepted now.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realized that in many game companies, crunch can and has lasted for months and years?

Do you crunch for 6 months at a time?
Yes, when demand for the product that I build demands it. It's either try to onboard an entire new shift (which is ~1000 jobs and requires tens of thousands of hours training before they can even begin to start producing a good number) just to let them go at the end of 6 months or we work 2 out of every 3 Saturdays and make overtime.

Happens any time we have a major model change.

If KJP is crunching in the last 3 months, that's not that long.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, when demand for the product that I build demands it. It's either try to onboard an entire new shift (which is ~1000 jobs and requires tens of thousands of hours training before they can even begin to start producing a good number) just to let them go at the end of 6 months or we work 2 out of every 3 Saturdays and make overtime.

You realize many people dont get mandated overtime? And are working not just weekends but every day? For 80-100 hr work weeks?

Learn about what you are talking about before you try to make excuses for the Game's Industry. And btw the industry already pays the lowest for the equivalent position in other tech industries.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Working an extra Saturday every other week =/= 100 hour work weeks, every week for months at a time.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize many people dont get mandated overtime? And are working not just weekends but every day?

Learn about what you are talking about before you try to make excuses for the Game's Industry. And btw the industry already pays the lowest for the equivalent position in other tech industries.

???? So why work in the industry? "Hey, we pay like shit and have the shittiest business practices! Come on down!"

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
???? So why work in the industry? "Hey, we pay like shit and have the shittiest business practices! Come on down!"

So do you have a point, while you defense crunch? I guess people that need to put food on the table should just quit and go homeless?

While you sit there and defend companies working them to death.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
He looks always very tired in his breaks on twitter. I wonder how big his Studio is now.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Funny how these threads take a different turn when it's a darling dev to a lot of people. At least this thread isn't as embarrassing as the Naughty Dog one.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely disgusting to read this thread and the amount of people OKing crunch. What. The. Hell!? As a teacher in Norway, we have no crunch at all, no pressure to grade papers within a certain timeframe. It's as flexible as it possibly could be, and everyone's better for it. We're human beings, not machines.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm not a Kojima fanboy or whatever before people accuse me of this, I've only ever played Revengeance and a little bit of Metal Gear Solid. However, can we really say that he means Crunch in the same way other companies mean it? He could simply mean "we're working hard until the game goes gold, because it is coming out soon." It's a single word in a tweet. People are really overreacting about this, I don't think we need 8 pages of discussion on this.