• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Hope it isn't too bad or that it's truly optional in this case. Maybe it's a mistranslation or something, but it shouldn't happen.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So like almost every AAA developer? This doesnt tell us enough about the circumstances of the crunch to have a proper discussion

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad and shouldn't be needed but it's a systemic fact of the current game dev cycle and to expect it to go away overnight is naive - this isn't exactly news.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally every software release has 'crunch' and it's not necessarily Rockstar style crunch.

The last 5-10% of these projects are brutal.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes you have to work more and harder to get your job done.

that is just how it goes.

the issue only comes when that is ALL THE TIME.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Also "crunch time of development" doesn't necessarily have to mean they're crunching (even though they probably are), especially when you consider that English isn't Kojima's native language.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
crunch is 'okay' if it's....

- not 24/7
- not mandatory or 'passive-agressively' forced to do it
- the OT are being paid on time

Everything in the history of time with a deadline had some 'crunch' in 'some form'...it's just depends on whether it is compensated and how bad it is.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
For all those saying yeah crunch is normal in the last few weeks, I agree.

But we're still more than 3 months out. If crunch is already starting, then maybe they should move the date back.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would need to know more details. Every significant tech endeavor in history involves crunch time. Question is how much.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I work building ships.

They are typically 3-5 year projects.

The final few months are brutal to meet delivery date. Resources get increased, hours get longer. It's how things go.

Oct 26, 2017
"relatively crunch free" doesn't mean no crunch at all.

Sure, but saying every AAA studio crunches is still wrong (WB Montreal has a no crunch policy for example and people from EA here on ERA said that their studios don't crunch)
It's one thing crunching for one month or doing 10 hours/day instead of 8 and it's another thing crunching 4 months before the release of a game.

Also, Iron Galaxy https://kotaku.com/how-one-large-game-studio-avoids-crunch-1835613873

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say every crunch situation is a bad thing. If you're a small passionate start up team trying to prove yourself in the videogame industry its pretty normal that you work hard to get your game to high standards. Crunch is a problem with big publishers forcing big software teams to work overtime to meet deadline.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Every single AAA game goes through crunch time before release. This is absolutely non-news thread.
jlnVxtO.jpg

The fuck do we do with these, then?

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Everyone loves Kojima so it's fine if his studio crunches like every other AAA studio does.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I wouldn't say every crunch situation is a bad thing. If you're a small passionate start up team trying to prove yourself in the videogame industry its pretty normal that you work hard to get your game to high standards. Crunch is a problem with big publishers forcing big software teams to work overtime to meet deadline.

Uh, is this a small passionate start up team lol? Of course if you're starting your own business or game then you're going to work insane hours (as you never really stop working).

We don't know the situation behind this crunch other than it's happening, but seeing all those pro crunch posts is surreal. The game is still 3+ months out. If you're crunching already, then maybe delay the game.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
It's also very tone deaf of his part to sugar coated it with a rainbow emoji, given how its perceived as a negative work culture.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima went through genuine hell finishing MGSV so if he's being open and positive about the crunch he's going through now then I have to hope things aren't so bad.