• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Dark Souls seems to be the best combination of the two in my book. The world is open in the sense that there's like 8 possible first bosses and you can explore all over in any order, but it's linear in that the actual areas themselves are laid out in a very measured and deliberate way that players have to traverse.

When the world is too open I miss good level design, and when it's too linear I miss the freedom and authenticity of open worlds, so that's my favorite way to do it.
I Agree with this, too open is not always better for sure, Souls is a great balance.

Nov 14, 2017
Zedox: I don't think it's his place to talk about the pain of a woman giving birth.

Multiple People: It's just a metaphor, stop criticizing him, stop creating drama.

He made one comment that was his OPINION and now this entire thread is you and others arguing about it.
SO... You're saying that we should just let people say their opinions, even if they're dumb and not refute them when they're wrong? Yeah, no thanks. GFL

Oct 24, 2019
The more I think about it, the more the birth metaphor seems incredibly apt. Kojima has been immersed in this game for years now, and it seems that parenthood, birth, etc. will all be prevalent themes in Death Stranding. You carry a baby around the whole time and use it for gameplay mechanics ffs.

It's only natural that his mind might jump to a birth-related metaphor in this context

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Your hypocrisy is blinding
This is incredibly hypocritical lol
I don't think I am being hypocritical as I feel that I would need to consult women (most likely my wife, mother, sisters) to come up with that conclusion and if I did come up with an answer, I wouldn't share it because I don't believe it's my place. I just don't think *I* am qualified to say yes or no to that statement. But those are your opinions. That's fine.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Someone in this thread did in fact call him Godjima, unironically. lol

And I'll call him that again, "unironically. lol"

GODJIMA

D8UNTGDU0AAdaSN.jpg

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls seems to be the best combination of the two in my book. The world is open in the sense that there's like 8 possible first bosses and you can explore all over in any order, but it's linear in that the actual areas themselves are laid out in a very measured and deliberate way that players have to traverse.

When the world is too open I miss good level design, and when it's too linear I miss the freedom and authenticity of open worlds, so that's my favorite way to do it.
Yes Dark souls has a great world design absolutely. I don't consider it open world tbh but it strikes a nice balance. But something like MGS doesn't even need to be as open as dark souls to get the most out of its gameplay. I'd still settle for that over MGSV anyday.

The modern open world structure is in dire need of change though.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I am being hypocritical as I feel that I would need to consult women (most likely my wife, mother, sisters) to come up with that conclusion and if I did come up with an answer, I wouldn't share it because I don't believe it's my place. I just don't think *I* am qualified to say yes or no to that statement. But those are your opinions. That's fine.

Sorry dude but this is just fucking weird.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hoping he pushes onto to something multi platform for the future. Outside of Sony buying him up, more people need to see what he can do.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I think that's not his place to make that comment...it was stupid.

Translated from Dutch (which in itself was probably translated from English, which was translated from Japanese, so keep that in mind):

You know he said could be totally different. He is from a different culture so maybe it was a saying or expression. But you are entitled to your own opinion, and so are the other. Just live and let live.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Lol this argument was funny to read, that's why I love this place.

Anyway I am really impressed by how well Kojima managed this whole production. A while ago I wouldn't have thought that we would see this game in another 1-2 years.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to his next game.

The man has wanted to do something new since 2001. Glad he's finally getting opportunity.