• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Why? A man is fully aware that birth contractions are painful. He doesn't have to experience them to know. Do you think someone who has never been bitten by a shark can talk about shark attacks?
Why? That's just my thoughts on the matter. One can be empathetic towards someone and I get all of that. I just personally don't feel it is right for a man to make that metaphor. As you quoted from me, he can say whatever he wants. My opinion is that he shouldn't say it, being a man. That's all. It's my opinion. Others have made it a bigger deal than what it should be (in my opinion). You can call me sexist or whatever for MY comment and that can be your opinion and that's fine. It is what it is.

Also, I do look forward to Kojima's next title, contrary to what some may believe. :)

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to the review thread tomorrow. Gonna be LOTS of crow eating.

Considering the rumblings from some reviews I expect both huge fans and detractors to be eating their own particular plate of crow. I don'tthink DS is gonna bomb review wise but I expect reviews on both ends of the spectrum.

Oct 24, 2019
User Warned: Antagonizing another member
Am I stopping him from saying what he can say? No. He can say whatever he wants to. I just don't think it's a man's place to say such a thing. Hence I don't think its his place to say it, and thus, stupid.

Judging by all your responses in this thread, you're coming off as fanatical. I suggest you quit while you're behind before you embarrass yourself further.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I like how he doesn't consider the walking simulator comments to be criticism, just different people's perspective.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck watching that one comment spread like a cancer as you read this thread and no mod does shit about it. What a bunch of infantile children like moth to a flame.

Personally I'm sad that he will never make a linear game again, linear games are so much better than open world games.

I get the appeal of open world games and the potential they carry to deliver a more grand experience. But after decades of developers trying, I can't think of many examples that lead to a better overall game than the best of the best linear games.

You take something like The End boss fight. Considered the greatest boss fight ever. Its broken up in like 3 stages but its all part of the strategy. Everything you need is condensed in those 3-4 areas and the gameplay is not limited really at all.

Then you think oh imagine that in an open world, the possibilities! Well Kojima made that with Quiet and it was vastly inferior. And best of all it was done in a closed environment, so what was even the point. If you take that particular boss as an example, everything you imagine you can do in an open world you can do in linear environment. I have yet to see an open world truly deliver on those fronts. Yes a game like Skyrim is different but the purpose of that game is exploration at the cost of everything else.

I hope one day linear games make a renaissance.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Considering the rumblings from some reviews I expect both huge fans and detractors to be eating their own particular plate of crow. I don'tthink DS is gonna bomb review wise but I expect reviews on both ends of the spectrum.
As usual in every review thread, the moment 7s reviews appear will trigger bloodbath.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
He was obsessed with Pokemon Gold and Silver briefly (his son was into Pokemon, so he tried it out too). It's what inspired the capture mechanics in Peace Walker.

While the Metal Gear creator talked about his new game Death Stranding, he made it clear he's up for some poké-hunting at some point. Just as soon as he has the time. "When I get back to Japan I'll probably play Pokémon Go" he explained at the con. "A few years a go I played a lot of Pokémon Gold and Silver," he said, adding an fairly emphatic "a lot."

8xrs1P6.jpg
from that article, what he like from Pokemon is the connection he has with his son, not necessarily the RPG gameplay. which Death Stranding is all about connection, lol.

I just get the feeling that if Kojima make Pokemon, it's gonna be an action game and not RPG.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really, I'm just waiting for someone to tell me why it's not his place to make that metaphor. Because we all know that no one would be saying boo about it if the comment was made by a woman who has yet to give birth. No actual reason for why it's not his place has been given, and being a man isn't a reason. It's a silly thing to try claim.
You really don't think there are inappropriate analogies to make, ever? Like drawing comparisons between how you feel and other significant life events or things that have happened in history,? No one is saying that the analogy he made was anything more than inappropriate. And speaking for myself, I don't mind that others think the analogy works well. I just happen to think that one tied intimately to women is a poor comparison to make given that we are talking about video game development at the end of the day.

As I said, you're free to think the analogy works, but others are free to think it doesn't, either. No one is more right or wrong in this instance (at least, I don't think so). But don't unfairly disparage people for thinking differently from you and don't attribute their opinion to something as stupid as console wars (as I saw some in this thread say).

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? That's just my thoughts on the matter. One can be empathetic towards someone and I get all of that. I just personally don't feel it is right for a man to make that metaphor. As you quoted from me, he can say whatever he wants. My opinion is that he shouldn't say it, being a man. That's all. It's my opinion. Others have made it a bigger deal than what it should be (in my opinion). You can call me sexist or whatever for MY comment and that can be your opinion and that's fine. It is what it is.

Also, I do look forward to Kojima's next title, contrary to what some may believe. :)
You really don't think there are inappropriate analogies to make, ever? Like drawing comparisons between how you feel and other significant life events or things that have happened in history,? No one is saying that the analogy he made was anything more than inappropriate. And speaking for myself, I don't mind that others think the analogy works well. I just happen to think that one tied intimately to women is a poor comparison to make given that we are talking about video game development at the end of the day.
How would you feel about a woman who has never given birth making the same metaphor?

Aslo, quoting the rest of my post that you missed.

Again

Like if I was to jokingly say "This pizza is hotter than the sun" are you nerds really going to step in and tell me "We'll actually it's not your place to say that because you've never been to the sun so you have no experience with how hot it actually is"?

Extend this to any number of metaphors.

"I'm as hungry as a horse" - Not really your place to say that, you've never been a horse.
"It's hotter than hell in here" - Not really your place to say, you've never been to hell
"It's colder than a witch's tit outside" - Not really your place to say, you've never touched a witch's tit.

It's an absurdly pedantic and anal thing to call out.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
So if a woman says "Felt like I got kicked in the Balls" is that a bad metaphor too? I mean they know it's painful.......

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I just want the game to have an amazing story and no sexism. Give me at least that, Kojima.

Bad news maybe? Apparently Kojima himself is a mother and knows firsthand what the pain of giving birth is. Or I'm too picky and bothered with his contractions declaration, you choose.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
looking at the post histories of the posters upset with the metaphor...most clearly don't care for playstation

It's almost like some sort of a batsignal has gone out drawing certain people to this thread.

I think his metaphor was apt and Iove the response about the game being a walking simulator.

I'm still not sold on the game myself personally (waiting for the reviews) but you cant deny the goodness that is Kojima.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would you feel about a woman who has never given birth making the same metaphor?

Aslo, quoting the rest of my post that you missed.

I am not playing this game with you. I am not going to run down and give my opinion on every hypothetical analogy or metaphor you can conceive in order to try to paint me or others as having faltering and inconsistent views. At the end of the day, he drew the comparison between child birth and video game development. We're correctly free to think that better examples could have been used. This constant back and forth is making everyone seem as if this is a big deal to them, when the reality is that it isn't.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
It's almost like some sort of a batsignal has gone out drawing certain people to this thread.

I think his metaphor was apt and Iove the response about the game being a walking simulator.

I'm still not sold on the game myself personally (waiting for the reviews) but you cant deny the goodness that is Kojima.
Seems that way..

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talking about space and shit and I'd much prefer Kojima give us his own style of Deadly Premonition/Twin Peaks.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not playing this game with you. I am not going to run down and give my opinion on every hypothetical analogy or metaphor you can conceive in order to try to paint me or others as having faltering and inconsistent views. At the end of the day, he drew the comparison between child birth and video game development. We're correctly free to think that better examples could have been used. This constant back and forth is making everyone seem as if this is a bigger deal than it is, when the reality is that it isn't.

It's not a big deal at all, it's just absurd that people want to call out an innocent metaphor as "inappropriate" and "not his place" without actually explaining why other than "he's a man therefore he has no experience with childbirth" as if that means anything. It's funny tbh, just a really weird thing to take any kind of umbrage with.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"your Godjima" good lord, do you even listen to the things you say? You sound ridiculous. I've actually never even played a Metal Gear game, so Death Stranding will be my first Kojima experience. Nice try though
Can't fault me here, really. The way some people worship him is a bit ridiculous. As is the way some people seemingly hate everything he does and says.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I would spam Pokeball all days.
it will be hardcore pokemon catching action simulator. you will have to track pokemon movement, lay bait or traps, wear approriate pokemon costume and pheromone (that you have to craft) to lure pokemon near you before you catch them. remember, it's not a hunting game where you can snipe/shoot pokemon from afar, you have to get really close to the pokemon

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Can't fault me here, really. The way some people worship him is a bit ridiculous. As is the way some people seemingly hate everything he does and says.
We can fault you as it had zero to do with anything in this thread,.. it could be anyone who said this metaphor and it would still have gotten the same responses.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is a Death Stranding sequel for sure in the works or is that predicated on sales? Has he expressed interest in one?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, ya'll fucking wild in these Kojima threads. It is super painful to even attempt to read anything on this site regarding this game.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, ya'll fucking wild in these Kojima threads. It is super painful to even attempt to read anything on this site regarding this game.

it's a bit odd right? The game itself is controversial for simply being different? It's like era cannot handle something it can't quite put its finger on. It's going to be funny looking back at this game in retrospect.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the weirder thing is everyone trying to link an argument over this use of metaphors as some kind of attack or defense of Kojima. Maybe it's just people arguing over a metaphor and whether they can be gender exclusive.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Holy fuck watching that one comment spread like a cancer as you read this thread and no mod does shit about it. What a bunch of infantile children like moth to a flame.

Personally I'm sad that he will never make a linear game again, linear games are so much better than open world games.

I get the appeal of open world games and the potential they carry to deliver a more grand experience. But after decades of developers trying, I can't think of many examples that lead to a better overall game than the best of the best linear games.

You take something like The End boss fight. Considered the greatest boss fight ever. Its broken up in like 3 stages but its all part of the strategy. Everything you need is condensed in those 3-4 areas and the gameplay is not limited really at all.

Then you think oh imagine that in an open world, the possibilities! Well Kojima made that with Quiet and it was vastly inferior. And best of all it was done in a closed environment, so what was even the point. If you take that particular boss as an example, everything you imagine you can do in an open world you can do in linear environment. I have yet to see an open world truly deliver on those fronts. Yes a game like Skyrim is different but the purpose of that game is exploration at the cost of everything else.

I hope one day linear games make a renaissance.
Dark Souls seems to be the best combination of the two in my book. The world is open in the sense that there's like 8 possible first bosses and you can explore all over in any order, but it's linear in that the actual areas themselves are laid out in a very measured and deliberate way that players have to traverse.

When the world is too open I miss good level design, and when it's too linear I miss the freedom and authenticity of open worlds, so that's my favorite way to do it.