• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
iu

gaming side each time kojima opens his mouth looking for something to get hung up on
in my language this is a common metaphor btw

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
The one thing I learned about this, never question Kojima. A man cant even disagree with one small aspect of the interview without getting bombarded. The review thread will be a warzone.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
"like the contractions when giving birth."

As if he'd ever know how that feels like lol.
He can't but he's thinking about it, which is called empathy. To try and relate to another person's experience? I'm sure some of you taking that quote way too seriously must have heard of it.
It's also a fitting metaphor, he's not just talking about the level of pain creating puts him through but that the end result is worth it.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
The one thing I learned about this, never question Kojima. A man cant even disagree with one small aspect of the interview without getting bombarded. The review thread will be a warzone.
People say stupid stuff and get called out..who knew..It has nothing to do with disagreeing with him in principle. Context is everything.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's being pedantic. It was clear to me that the comparison being poor was implied. They're both "opinions."

How is that clear when the poster literally said "I think that's not his place to make that comment" then followed it up with " I just don't think it's a man's place to say such a thing ".

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Opinions can be wrong and silly, saying it is just an opinion is pointless. It's not poor either, it's a good metaphor as several people explained already. As HSTALLION said:

It's a very common and astute way of describing something incredible difficult, painful and some others' pointed out, ultimately rewarding experience.
Yea, it's a good metaphor for a woman to use. It makes no sense for a man to use as we have no clue what contractions feel like.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opinions can be wrong and silly, saying it is just an opinion is pointless. It's not poor either, it's a good metaphor as several people explained already.
And people are thinking you're wrong and silly for being dismissive. Great. But y'all are going in on someone to convince them to feel that their comment was silly. You could have just said you don't agree, like you did with the other person you quoted who said they have a degree in English literature, but that's not what happened.

And stop making it black or white. "Opinions can be wrong and silly" only reads as your opinion being the correct one in this instance. Guess what? It's possible for people to validly find the analogy Kojima made to be appropriate and inappropriate. Stop trying to pull people to your side over something as inconsequential as this.

How is that clear when the poster literally said "I think that's not his place to make that comment". That is nonsense, opinion or not.

If it came from the poster then it was his opinion. What is even your implication anymore?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think it's not my place to call out a person for making a comment about a man's inability to fully comprehend contractions of a pregnant woman even used as a metaphor and...

wait wtf are we taking about 😭😭😭😭😂😂😂😂

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Goddamn Kojima can't even make a common metaphor about how painful child birth is without getting jumped on.

Where's the bitch eating crackers gif? Should be in every Kojima topic.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, it's a good metaphor for a woman to use. It makes no sense for a man to use as we have no clue what contractions feel like.

Like if I was to jokingly say "This pizza is hotter than the sun" are you nerds really going to step in and tell me "We'll actually it's not your place to say that because you've never been to the sun so you have no experience with how hot it actually is"?

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
User banned (3 days): hostility and antagonizing another member across multiple posts and threads, accusations of platform warring
looking at the post histories of the posters upset with the metaphor...most clearly don't care for playstation
oun
noun: metaphor; plural noun: metaphors
  1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

No? Do tell then...

You don't need to have experienced something to use it as a metaphor...

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would make sense if his next game it's still with Sony because i don't think it will have choose the Decima to suddenly for his next game take another engine.

I didn't even consider that! very good point

And just thinking about Kojima's new project on next gen machines is an exciting proposition.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
looking at the post histories of the posters upset with the metaphor...most clearly don't care for playstation

oun
noun: metaphor; plural noun: metaphors
  1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

No? Do tell then...

You don't need to have experienced something to use it as a metaphor...
He has no frame of reference lol. It's a poor metaphor for him to use.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
And i see era is once again being stupid with not understanding what a metaphor is.
Many pieces of literature uses metaphors taken from animals, nature or opposing sex despite not experiencing it themselves, because they can actually think and have a sense of empathy towards others, its not that unusual. Kojima is using it because it fits his game. But i guess some on era havent read books or poems, only interviews of kojima.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
People will call out unthoughtful, knee jerk reactions towards anything. Especially on a forum. That's not a Kojima specific thing. They also pick one sentence out of a long thoughtful post to be mad about, there's no logic or sense to this experience, best not to let yourself be bothered by it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I want Kojima to make a JRPG for some reason. If only because he's one of the few people who can command a lot of money for whatever.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of plenty of games normally called walking simulators derisively, it's good to see someone Gamers™ place so highly defending them. Not that I think that'll make a difference, but, you know, every little helps.

(and to chime in on the clearly most important topic, while I don't think it's a big deal, Kojima didn't really need to use that "contractions" metaphor -- that comes from a lived experience -- amongst entirely dudes when none of them, including Kojima, have lived it)

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's exactly what a metaphor is..again that's been explained... You don't need to have a point of reference to know it's a painful and ultimately rewarding... This is the exact definition of a metaphor.
And it's still a silly metaphor for him to use. At the end of the day it's harmless though. Maybe he'll use better metphaors in the future.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Am I stopping him from saying what he can say? No. He can say whatever he wants to. I just don't think it's a man's place to say such a thing. Hence I don't think its his place to say it, and thus, stupid.
Why? A man is fully aware that birth contractions are painful. He doesn't have to experience them to know. Do you think someone who has never been bitten by a shark can talk about shark attacks?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Every thread.

Some of ya'll need to seek professional help for all your pent up anger. It's unhealthy how much you hate someone you don't know lol. I don't see how this is any different than attending the pride parade every time it happens, just to spite the attendees and tell the community how much you aren't interested and disagree with their lives. Grow the fuck up.

On topic, I thought it was interesting that he mentioned he tries to watch a movie a day, when we had a poster last week swear that "Kojima sucks, he just puts the only 10 movies he's watched as his top 10 movies of the year". LOL relieve yourself of the hate and anger, my guy.

Why do people feel so confident in spewing shit as "fact" about someone they don't know, when they're -CLEARLY- not in the know?

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
He never struck me as the type of person who would ever be interested in an RPG. lol
He was obsessed with Pokemon Gold and Silver briefly (his son was into Pokemon, so he tried it out too). It's what inspired the capture mechanics in Peace Walker.

While the Metal Gear creator talked about his new game Death Stranding, he made it clear he's up for some poké-hunting at some point. Just as soon as he has the time. "When I get back to Japan I'll probably play Pokémon Go" he explained at the con. "A few years a go I played a lot of Pokémon Gold and Silver," he said, adding an fairly emphatic "a lot."

8xrs1P6.jpg

Last edited:

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
And it's still a silly metaphor for him to use. At the end of the day it's harmless though. Maybe he'll use better metphaors in the future.
No it isn;t at all..... in fact the metaphor fits and has been used countless times. You don't need to be a woman to know birth is painful/draining but also emotional and ultimately rewarding.....

Hungry like a wolf...same thing I am not a wolf, nor know how hungry a starving wolf would be. You guys are being obtuse.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just that they're painful, but that they're a great pain before a great payoff. It's a pretty apt metaphor, really fucking weird that people are taking issue with it.

Like if I was to jokingly say "This pizza is hotter than the sun" are you nerds really going to step in and tell me "We'll actually it's not your place to say that because you've never been to the sun so you have no experience with how hot it actually is"?
In this case, half of the population has "been to the sun" and the potential to know what it feels like. Bad comparison.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
User banned (1 week): Hostility and personal attacks + history of infractions for trolling and antagonistic behaviour
Boy, do I somewhat regret using that quote for the OT, lol.......

Never let the fear upsetting stupid people dictate your content, lest you will be forever handicapped as stupid people and their opinions are everywhere.

Have you ever heard the expression hungry like the wolf?

By the kindergarten logic displayed in this thread, no human should say that, because no human knows how hungry a wolf is.

There are thousands of other comparisons I could draw that are said every day, and used literature and film from the Bible forward.

Now do you see why you can not pander to trolls?

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even consider that! very good point

And just thinking about Kojima's new project on next gen machines is an exciting proposition.

Kojima has even setting up a small satellite studio for Kojima Productions near Guerrilla to work with them on the engine so yeah it would make sense if his next game is also on Decima.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how what he said regarding the contractions when giving birth is being misconstrued in a bad way..
Most men that are fathers can sympathize with their wives, and men that are exposed to childbirth in one way or another, even through movies, tv shows, are exposed to the pains it brings about. He simply used it as a metaphor... and it's perfectly acceptable. He certainly did not say it with any malice etc, or to ridicule it, or even to belittle it etc.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're talking into the wind. You're futilely trying to convince others you're right. Not working here.

I'm not really, I'm just waiting for someone to tell me why it's not his place to make that metaphor. Because we all know that no one would be saying boo about it if the comment was made by a woman who has yet to give birth. No actual reason for why it's not his place has been given, and being a man isn't a reason. It's a silly thing to try claim.

Again

Extend this to any number of metaphors.

"I'm as hungry as a horse" - Not really your place to say that, you've never been a horse.
"It's hotter than hell in here" - Not really your place to say, you've never been to hell
"It's colder than a witch's tit outside" - Not really your place to say, you've never touched a witch's tit.

It's an absurdly pedantic and anal thing to call out.

Last edited: